Anyone have a Microsoft Surface Book?

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I just got Microsoft Surface Book on sale.
The box seemed like it was open, but the plastic seals on the laptop were immaculate.
When i visually inspected the laptop tho, i noticed it has an uneven gap on the clipboard / keyboard latch.

I was wondering if any of u guys have this gap on the edge of hinge?
20180114_174005.jpg

Here is a closeup:
20180114_173953.jpg

Does this look like a bad lock hinge?

I tried flipping the screen around and it does seem like its the left socket that seems damaged.

Mar 11, 2004
So its constantly a bit loose on that side? By "flipping the screen around", I take it you undocked it and then redocked it and it is still loose like that? Did you check the connection itself too (like look at the connectors to see if there's anything apparent, like maybe some lint got into the clasps that are on the tablet portion, or maybe the "hook" pieces from the base has something off)?

I had one for a bit, and I seem to recall occasionally it wouldn't dock quite right so it'd be a little loose, undocking and redocking it would fix it though. Not sure if others had similar issues or if over time it might start to get loose or something.

Do you get any issues when docking/undocking it? Like it has a software thing that'll throw errors or something if it doesn't dock properly, and a loose connection I think would probably trigger it to cause issues. That would probably be more apparent with the dGPU (as that was normally what would happen, like a couple of times it got a bit loose even after it had docked properly, so it deactivated the dGPU, and I had to undock and redock it to get it back). Without the dGPU I'd guess you could maybe check the battery/charging too.

After checking that type of stuff, and if its still loose then yeah contact the seller. Did they sell it as new, refurb, used-mint, or used as-is?

Fir

Jan 15, 2010
I have the original and the SB 2. Both have no fit/finish issues. When the slate is attached it's tight just like any other premium laptop. No slack, rattle, or un-even gaps. Carefully examine the edges around the slate, the magnesium is thin along the venting and succumbs easily to drops or knocks. Even still, a good knock when in a padded bag could mess something up internally. That "muscle wire" latch is a neat invention but probably doesn't have a lot of tolerance for shock. Or not. I don't know, I've never dropped mine!

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I had one for a bit, and I seem to recall occasionally it wouldn't dock quite right so it'd be a little loose, undocking and redocking it would fix it though. Not sure if others had similar issues or if over time it might start to get loose or something.

Do you get any issues when docking/undocking it? Like it has a software thing that'll throw errors or something if it doesn't dock properly, and a loose connection I think would probably trigger it to cause issues. That would probably be more apparent with the dGPU (as that was normally what would happen, like a couple of times it got a bit loose even after it had docked properly, so it deactivated the dGPU, and I had to undock and redock it to get it back). Without the dGPU I'd guess you could maybe check the battery/charging too.

After checking that type of stuff, and if its still loose then yeah contact the seller. Did they sell it as new, refurb, used-mint, or used as-is?

Thats what i originally thought, that it was just slightly miss alligned.
Then i undocked it and tried to refit it.
It wont go in any further then that and leaves a gap just at that docking port.
Flipped it around and still the same, if the display is facing you, its the left side same hinge.

And i started a return on it via Amazon.
It was supposidely "New" but after watching unboxing videos of the same laptop, i think it was open and meticulously put back in box and resold as new. For example, the cables are tied by a clear plastic Mine were by cable ties, so its going back to amazon for a full refund and i will be picking another one up.

I have the original and the SB 2. Both have no fit/finish issues. When the slate is attached it's tight just like any other premium laptop. No slack, rattle, or un-even gaps. Carefully examine the edges around the slate, the magnesium is thin along the venting and succumbs easily to drops or knocks. Even still, a good knock when in a padded bag could mess something up internally. That "muscle wire" latch is a neat invention but probably doesn't have a lot of tolerance for shock. Or not. I don't know, I've never dropped mine!

Yeah i figured on a premium laptop like that it shouldnt have finishing issues.
I even searched on google and found no mention of the laptop coming with gaps like that, so i am assuming it got damaged by either its previous owner or during transit.

Thanks everyone, im gonna return it for a full refund and purchase it again once i get my credit.

giantpandaman2

Oct 17, 2005
Looks like you did the right thing. I've had 2 SB (first one got replaced because the screen digitizer had issues) and neither had that problem.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Is there a Microsoft Store near you? If yes, that might be the best place to get a SB in case you have any problems like this.

Also, be sure to get the extended warranty with accident coverage. SBs are not repariable, there's a mass of glue inside to secure the parts. If anything happens, you need to exchange yours for a new one. Don't count on being able to recover anything from the hard drive if it there is some other problem, trying to extract it from the glue will void your warranty.