Anyone have a goat?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: HammerCurl
Female goat for milk + cheese?

Maybe someday you'll figure out how it works. ;) Think about it - which women are lactating? The ones with babies. Do you know where babies come from? Gonna need more than just a female goat. (Unless you do artificial insemination.)

Originally posted by: PingSpike
I've got a hilly patch by the mound septic that is a real bitch to mow with a pushmower and is to damn hilly for a riding mower.

A small barn with a few animals is part of the plan for the future. I am going to turn that patch into pasture and let the animals handle it.

You'd be surprised at how many animals won't touch the grass/weeds above a septic bed.

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Originally posted by: HammerCurl
Female goat for milk + cheese?

Maybe someday you'll figure out how it works. ;) Think about it - which women are lactating? The ones with babies. Do you know where babies come from? Gonna need more than just a female goat. (Unless you do artificial insemination.)

:confused:
So how many storks would you need then for just 1 female goat?

zach0624

Jul 13, 2007
Goats tend not to eat grass and instead eat all the good stuff in your yard. Chickens might be good. They are too short to eat much else then grass and even roosters are easy to handle if you raise them from birth(you can also buy one of those portable chicken coops and move it from one section of lawn to another while avoiding poisonous plants such as buttercup, its a 2 in 1 deal, fertilizer and lawn mowing!). They also are fairly hardy and will supply you with eggs. If you want animals to weed for you too you can train ducks to eat only certain types of weeds(the non-poisonous kind) and even bugs.

mattocs

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2005
Originally posted by: zach0624
Goats tend not to eat grass and instead eat all the good stuff in your yard. Chickens might be good. They are too short to eat much else then grass and even roosters are easy to handle if you raise them from birth(you can also buy one of those portable chicken coops and move it from one section of lawn to another while avoiding poisonous plants such as buttercup, its a 2 in 1 deal, fertilizer and lawn mowing!). They also are fairly hardy and will supply you with eggs. If you want animals to weed for you too you can train ducks to eat only certain types of weeds(the non-poisonous kind) and even bugs.

Hrrm...I never even thought about chickens. They are pretty noisy, are they not?

Thanks for the suggestion.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Originally posted by: DrPizza

Originally posted by: PingSpike
I've got a hilly patch by the mound septic that is a real bitch to mow with a pushmower and is to damn hilly for a riding mower.

A small barn with a few animals is part of the plan for the future. I am going to turn that patch into pasture and let the animals handle it.

You'd be surprised at how many animals won't touch the grass/weeds above a septic bed.

God damn it! The mound is by far the hardest part to mow!

Aug 23, 2000
Originally posted by: clickynext
You could try a goatse?

Well after that, grass would be the last thing on your mind, since you would be able to see it after you stab your eyes out.

Mr.Pizza. How much is a goat?

mattocs

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2005
Originally posted by: JeffreyLebowski
Originally posted by: clickynext
You could try a goatse?

Well after that, grass would be the last thing on your mind, since you would be able to see it after you stab your eyes out.

Mr.Pizza. How much is a goat?

Some people i've spoke with say you can get a decent mixed breed at a livestock auction for like $20.