Anyone have a 2017+ CX-5

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Have you test driven one? I have 2, but both are 2014. Still running strong. The 2017+ are much quieter per reports. GT is great for around 30K. Touring is fine too.

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
I’ve test driven several of them, both GT and GT-R. I also test drove a 2017 touring a couple years back.

Oct 9, 1999
145K - Mi/Km???

Just curious. Have you done any major repairs? AT fluid changes?
145K mi..
My repair record is (oil changes 5000 mi, following standard protocol changes as per manual) - exemptions below.

Mileage approx

12500 - fuse replacement (USB / 12V power in center console)
30000 - One time drain and fill of Transmission Fluid (roughly 25K transmissoin fluid changes)
55000 - One time Drain and Fill of Transmission Fluid
70000 - Brake Pads / All Tires - Yokohama Geolander - Transmission drain and Fill
85000 - One time Drain & Fill transmission
100000 - Coolant change
110000 - Brake Light Pedal Sensor (entire display lit up like a christmas tree - fix $700)
125000 - Sparkplugs, Coolant Change (FL22), transmission fluid change (screw up by the shop - put in the wrong fluid had to redrain and put the right FZ22)
130000 - Front Brakes / All Tires - Kumho Solus TA 11

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
^this is exactly what I wanted to see, especially in terms of AFT changes. I do mine every 40K as I intend to keep one of my CX-5s for longer.

I is really good to know that you have done 145K w/out anything major.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
How do you like it?

I’m seriously considering picking up a 19 GT w/ PP.

My friends have a his & hers '18 (special red & special grey). Only issue they have had so far is paint flaking off on both specialty colors (problems with the special Mazda paintjob process). The regular non-4-layer colors don't have that issue. So that's something to consider, especially for resale value, even if you're able to get the car resprayed, which is very difficult to do right now as there's no official program in place; they were only willing to give them touch-up paints. The new Kia Stinger had the same issue & ended up having to shell out for new paintjobs on all affected cars.

If you are set on getting one of the special colors, then I'd recommend getting some kind of paint protection put on. XPEL is crazy expensive, but you can go the plasti-dip route for quite a bit cheaper. Not quite as strong, but still does a really good job. Plasti-dip or "liquid wraps" have come quite a long way in the past decade; there are now specialty companies that sell sprayable liquid wraps in different colors & finishes, including special clearcoats specifically for spray-on paint protection. So rather than going with a PPF (paint protection film), which can be like two grand just for the front nose, hood, and side mirrors, you can opt for a more cost-effective route with a full-body liquid wrap like Autoflex's Spray Wrap Pro X. Again, not as strong as PPF, but where there's a known paint-chipping issue with the special 4-layer red & grey Mazda paints, it's something to consider if you want to get one with the cool paintjob!

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
My friends have a his & hers '18 (special red & special grey). Only issue they have had so far is paint flaking off on both specialty colors (problems with the special Mazda paintjob process). The regular non-4-layer colors don't have that issue. So that's something to consider, especially for resale value, even if you're able to get the car resprayed, which is very difficult to do right now as there's no official program in place; they were only willing to give them touch-up paints. The new Kia Stinger had the same issue & ended up having to shell out for new paintjobs on all affected cars.

If you are set on getting one of the special colors, then I'd recommend getting some kind of paint protection put on. XPEL is crazy expensive, but you can go the plasti-dip route for quite a bit cheaper. Not quite as strong, but still does a really good job. Plasti-dip or "liquid wraps" have come quite a long way in the past decade; there are now specialty companies that sell sprayable liquid wraps in different colors & finishes, including special clearcoats specifically for spray-on paint protection. So rather than going with a PPF (paint protection film), which can be like two grand just for the front nose, hood, and side mirrors, you can opt for a more cost-effective route with a full-body liquid wrap like Autoflex's Spray Wrap Pro X. Again, not as strong as PPF, but where there's a known paint-chipping issue with the special 4-layer red & grey Mazda paints, it's something to consider if you want to get one with the cool paintjob!

It’s a shame because the red is the best color. I’m actually so close to buying a 4runner now...

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
It’s a shame because the red is the best color. I’m actually so close to buying a 4runner now...

It really is! I wish they offered it on the Tesla Model 3, it would be a GREAT look!

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
It really is! I wish they offered it on the Tesla Model 3, it would be a GREAT look!

For sure! With that said, Tesla's red paint is no slouch; I've seen at least one red in person and it looks sharp!

bigi

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2001
^ as for those flaking colors....

I don't know if we can generalize that much. My Soul Red Metallic is 5 years old with zero paint maintenance (detailing and such) and 4 season weather. Paint is as new.

This must be something else going on.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
For sure! With that said, Tesla's red paint is no slouch; I've seen at least one red in person and it looks sharp!

It's really nice, but I always mistake it for a Porsche from a distance, haha!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
^ as for those flaking colors....

I don't know if we can generalize that much. My Soul Red Metallic is 5 years old with zero paint maintenance (detailing and such) and 4 season weather. Paint is as new.

This must be something else going on.

It may be a problem with the newer batches, maybe either a spray issue or paint supplier issue. I've seen a lot of complaints about the 2017 red metallic vehicles. Mazda has a bit of a reputation for doing thin paintjobs. Almost 1,000 people have signed a Change.org petition for the 2017/2018 CX5's:

https://www.change.org/p/mazda-cx-5-mazda-soul-red-crystal-chipping-issue-recall-is-need