Anyone had a SD memory card go bad?

Discussion in 'Peripherals' started by Todd33, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Todd33

Todd33 Diamond Member

Suddenly my Kodak digital started having problems with the SD card in it and worked fine without it. I then bought a new 512MB and it works fine. The original "bad" one worked fine in a card reader though.

How am I to tell if the camera of SD card are bad? Do SD cards die after a year?

2. Zero Plasma

Zero Plasma Banned

SD cards are soild state memory they can't die with out damage being done to the card from the outside, like breaking it in half or setting it on fire.:)

3. Todd33

Todd33 Diamond Member

That's what I thought. I wonder if I could have scratched it so that the camera cannot read it, but the card reader can?

4. gc444

gc444 Member

I actually had a Sandisk SD card that after about 3 months would not allow me to format it in my memory reader, Dell Axim or my camera. I sent it back and they sent me a new one. My memory reader still did not like it but it worked fine in the Axim. So I bought a PNY SD card and it worked great in the camera and memory reader. So yes I have seen one go bad and I was very careful with it and it had no physical damage.

5. Peter

Peter Elite Member

Yes they can. FlashROM cells have a limited number of write cycles. Better flash drives balance the sector usage out, cheaper ones have high-usage sectors (like those that happen to contain directories) surprisingly quickly.