Anyone gonna watch Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert at 8pm on election night?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
Originally posted by: yowolabi
Originally posted by: techs
Originally posted by: cubby1223
Originally posted by: MikeyLSU
what is really sad is how many Dems are taking more pleasure in watching Republicans being upset rather than just happy their own party won.

I can honestly say I took no pleasure in the Dem losses in 2000 and 2004. I was just happy with a victory.

It's because they are not voting FOR Barack Obama, they are voting AGAINST George Bush and the Republican neo-cons.
Fixed

QFT. As much as I like Obama, I don't think that he's going to make everything better. I think he has a chance to improve things by giving us a sound environmental policy, educational policy, and intelligent response to whatever catastrophe that happens. I think that even if money flows out of his programs, it would at least be flowing to a wide range of Americans instead of going to the elites exclusively. I also think he will "end" the Iraq war before his first term is over.

I'm sure that if McCain got into office, things would get worse. We'd stay forever in the black hole known as Iraq with no solid plans for getting out. Corporations will have more and more undue influence, and the income gap will just get wider as he once again pushes for tax cuts for the wealthiest. Also i'm afraid he'd try to push through Supreme Court justices in the mold of Scalia or Thomas.

You have no clue, do you? The Democrats hold the house of representatives and likely will obtain a super-majority in the senate. If it were up to Obama, we would have gotten out of Iraq before the surge, leaving the country in a disaster, instead of the much more secured country it is today.

Corporate influence? McCain's entire senate career he has been in active opposition to corporate influences on Washington! Why do you think he supports and took public financing? Versus Obama who for example in his short Washington career has received $130k+ from Fannie Mae. Just for the record, McCain in a much longer Washington career, has received just ~$25k from Fannie Mae.

As for Supreme Court justices, sure McCain chooses them, but the Democratic controlled congress has to approve.

Like I first said, you are not voting FOR Obama, you are voting AGAINST George Bush.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: cubby1223
Originally posted by: yowolabi

QFT. As much as I like Obama, I don't think that he's going to make everything better. I think he has a chance to improve things by giving us a sound environmental policy, educational policy, and intelligent response to whatever catastrophe that happens. I think that even if money flows out of his programs, it would at least be flowing to a wide range of Americans instead of going to the elites exclusively. I also think he will "end" the Iraq war before his first term is over.

I'm sure that if McCain got into office, things would get worse. We'd stay forever in the black hole known as Iraq with no solid plans for getting out. Corporations will have more and more undue influence, and the income gap will just get wider as he once again pushes for tax cuts for the wealthiest. Also i'm afraid he'd try to push through Supreme Court justices in the mold of Scalia or Thomas.

You have no clue, do you? The Democrats hold the house of representatives and likely will obtain a super-majority in the senate. If it were up to Obama, we would have gotten out of Iraq before the surge, leaving the country in a disaster, instead of the much more secured country it is today.

Corporate influence? McCain's entire senate career he has been in active opposition to corporate influences on Washington! Why do you think he supports and took public financing? Versus Obama who for example in his short Washington career has received $130k+ from Fannie Mae. Just for the record, McCain in a much longer Washington career, has received just ~$25k from Fannie Mae.

As for Supreme Court justices, sure McCain chooses them, but the Democratic controlled congress has to approve.

Like I first said, you are not voting FOR Obama, you are voting AGAINST George Bush.

I want out of Iraq now as quickly as we can do it without endangering more American lives. I don't feel the cost of Iraq is worth the benefits. I strongly opposed going into it, and I have continued to oppose staying in.

McCain's entire career has not been in active opposition to corporate influence. From the time he was writing to letters on behalf of Keating up to him having lobbyists run his campaign, he's been as knee deep in the corruption as anyone else. He took public financing because he sucks at raising money. If he thought he could get more by going private, he would have. Other companies have given McCain more than they give Obama, I dont attribute any special significance to Fannie Mae.

Democrats have approved justices I didn't like before. McCain will just keep nominating the same person, and eventually someone will get approved. I'd much rather have Obama doing the nominating.

I'm voting both for Obama and against McCain+the people he surrounds himself with. Please don't waste time stating anything else. My positions are both researched and personal.