Anyone going to the Chicago Tax Day Tea Party?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: palehorse
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Why would anyone go to this?

I imagine it'll be a lot like watching a Faux News show live.
People would go to it in an effort to voice their concerns over the out-of-control spending habits that have taken over every party in Washington... if that's something you don't give a shit about, then so be it. But, many people, from both sides of the aisle, believe that such protests are long overdue.

It is the timing that is the problem.

1. No one cared when Bush doubled the deficit.

2. All of a sudden 3 months into a new presidency where the president HAS TO at least do something to look like he is trying, these people, a majority republicans, want to protest.

It can only be viewed as fake, insincere, and too late.

Let them protest wall street for needing 2 trillion in bailouts while walking away incredibly rich.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: shadow9d9

People would go to it in an effort to voice their concerns over the out-of-control spending habits that have taken over every party in Washington... if that's something you don't give a shit about, then so be it. But, many people, from both sides of the aisle, believe that such protests are long overdue.

2. All of a sudden 3 months into a new presidency where the president HAS TO at least do something to look like he is trying, these people, a majority republicans, want to protest.

Let them protest wall street for needing 2 trillion in bailouts while walking away incredibly rich.

It's a tea kettle affect. It's been boiling for quite a while, even with Bush. Throw on the super heat of Obama's spending and it's blowing the top off.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: EXman
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Originally posted by: daniel49
What? Did Congress raise taxes and I somehow missed it?

likely, you seem to miss a lot of other things.

Oh rly? So you have a link to where Congress raised taxes then I presume?

wake up and smell what you are shoveling is there a state in the country that is run by the dems (or Arnold) that isn't raising taxes? My state we just got many new tax hikes Apr 1st. NY just had a bunch. CA sales tax went up 1%.

Obama's Budget: Almost $1 Trillion in New Taxes Over Next 10 yrs, Starting 2011.
1) On people making more than $250,000.

$338 billion - Bush tax cuts expire
$179 billlion - eliminate itemized deduction
$118 billion - capital gains tax hike

Total: $636 billion/10 years

2) Businesses:

$17 billion - Reinstate Superfund taxes
$24 billion - tax carried-interest as income
$5 billion - codify "economic substance doctrine"
$61 billion - repeal LIFO
$210 billion - international enforcement, reform deferral, other tax reform
$4 billion - information reporting for rental payments
$5.3 billion - excise tax on Gulf of Mexico oil and gas
$3.4 billion - repeal expensing of tangible drilling costs
$62 million - repeal deduction for tertiary injectants
$49 million - repeal passive loss exception for working interests in oil and natural gas properties
$13 billion - repeal manufacturing tax deduction for oil and natural gas companies
$1 billion - increase to 7 years geological and geophysical amortization period for independent producers
$882 million - eliminate advanced earned income tax credit

Total: $353 billion/10 years

Do you pay attention to much other than deals? Do you like paying taxes? Do you like paying for other peoples rent while they buy big screen TV's and Ipods?

That last sentence should be: "Do you like bailing out banks and insurance companies "too big to fail" without any criminal prosecution and the people who led the downfall walking away million and billionaires?"

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: spidey07

It's a tea kettle affect. It's been boiling for quite a while, even with Bush. Throw on the super heat of Obama's spending and it's blowing the top off.

It is too late. With a housing market crash, wall street crash, and super unemployment, the government has to at least look like it is doing something.

Instead of holding the people responsible for this, they go after the people put into an untenable situation.

1. Wallstreet walks away completely free, and took a MAJORITY of the "government spending."

2. Some money is finally going to benefit US citizens instead of foreign countries.

So, what is being protested? That the government is spending to get out of a mess by the wall street and a good portion of the general population: irresponsible homebuyers?

Go after them!

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Dari
If you don't like/want increase taxes, demand that the government lower services.

No replies?

I wouldn't even mind a slight increase in taxes as long it coincided with dramatically reduced spending... fewer services would just be icing on the cake!

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
If you don't like/want increase taxes, demand that the government lower services.

No replies?

I wouldn't even mind a slight increase in taxes as long it coincided with dramatically reduced spending... fewer services would just be icing on the cake!

Ah, somebody who doesn't mind. I'm sure there are other conservatives who don't mind less services for less taxes or is it all just talk.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

No replies?

Ah, somebody who doesn't mind. I'm sure there are other conservatives who don't mind less services for less taxes or is it all just talk.
The problem is that we're currently experiencing the trifecta: increased taxes, increased spending, and an increase in the number of Federal services.

I'm sorry, but this equation is simply unacceptable and unsustainable. At some point, it's going to break down. And, when it does, a depression will be the least of our worries...

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Anybody besides me think this thing is just an organizing tool for the GOP so they can go around tea bagging each other? More fake outrage being ginned up.

Interesting to note taxes have not been raised since Obama took over. In fact haven't federal payroll taxes gone down recently?

I don't remember any of these parties April 15, 2008.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
I found this article at Huffington fairly interesting (though with the source, I would take it with a grain of salt) - Interesting nevertheless

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...byists-b_b_186367.html

The Corporate Lobbyists Behind the Tea Parties

Anyone who has watched Fox News of late has seen them talking about the April 15 "tea party" demonstrations, which they take pains to characterize as a spontaneous grassroots uprising against government spending that they are simply "covering."

Neil Cavuto said:

We are are going to be in the middle of these protests because at Fox, we do not pick and choose these rallies and protests. We were there for the Million Man March, even though, as I pointed out, it turned out to be well shy of a million men.
The Million Man March happened in 1995. Fox News didn't go on the air until 1996.

Why all the effort to distance themselves from the teabaggers? It's obvious they are integrally involved -- Fox has given them millions in free publicity, despite the fact that there's no evidence of "ratings gold" here. Four of their biggest stars will be appearing at the rallies, Fox Nation will be hosting a "virtual tea party," Glenn Beck is holding a $500 a plate fundraiser for them and Fox has been officially promoting the entire affair as the FNC Tax Day Tea Parties:

Maybe they're afraid that if people knew that those behind the demonstrations were the very same lobbyists and influence peddlers the teabaggers claim to decry, the whole thing would be revealed to be what it is -- a hollow excercise in extremist right-wing hypocrisy.

A report by Lee Fang at Think Progress documents the involvement of corporate lobbyists FreedomWorks in organizing the teabaggers. FreedomWorks is run by ladies' man (and registered lobbyist) Dick Armey, and if they're not "organizing" the Tea parties, it's news to him. From a letter he wrote on March 10:

FreedomWorks has been organizing many of these "tea parties" and we are listing the details on our website IamWithRick.com

If you visit the website, you can rsvp for an event near you, and you can download guidelines to organizing a tea party in your home town if there isn't one being planned already.

On the Freedomworks website, it says: "If you are not able to organize or attend a Taxpayer Tea Party, you can still help the cause by donating or buying a t-shirt.
The "donation" for the Tea Parties page goes to -- you guessed it -- the FreedomWorks Foundation. The "thank you" letter is signed by Matt Kibbe, President & CEO, who cut his teeth working for Lee Atwater. He was behind the attempt to get Ralph Nader put on the ballot in Oregon in 2004, prompting a complaint to the FEC of illegal collusion with the GOP.

FreedomWorks was launched a GOP version of MoveOn. "We believe that hard work beats daddy's money," said Dick Armey at the time. Armey seems to be a bit irony challenged -- Steve Forbes is on the FreedomWorks board. As Krugman notes, their money comes from the Koch, Scaife, Bradley, Olin and other reliable funders of right wing infrastructure including Exxon Mobil.

This fact that none of this would be possible without the open checkbooks of right wing billionaires and the lobbyists who love them is beyond the grasp of Glenn Reynolds:

These aren't the usual semiprofessional protesters who attend antiwar and pro-union marches. These are people with real jobs; most have never attended a protest march before. They represent a kind of energy that our politics hasn't seen lately, and an influx of new activists.

In 2004, a woman who identified herself as a "single mother" in Iowa, Sandra Jacques, appeared at a George Bush town hall and gushed about his plan to privatize Social Security. She left out the part about being an employee of Freedomworks, who were lobbying on the issue at the time.
Before any media covering these events accept the idea that this is just a grass roots outpouring of populist sentiment, they ought to take a look behind the curtain -- where Dick Armey is laughing and counting his cash.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: EXman
Originally posted by: daniel49
What? Did Congress raise taxes and I somehow missed it?

likely, you seem to miss a lot of other things.

Oh rly? So you have a link to where Congress raised taxes then I presume?

wake up and smell what you are shoveling is there a state in the country that is run by the dems (or Arnold) that isn't raising taxes? My state we just got many new tax hikes Apr 1st. NY just had a bunch. CA sales tax went up 1%.

Obama's Budget: Almost $1 Trillion in New Taxes Over Next 10 yrs, Starting 2011.
1) On people making more than $250,000.

$338 billion - Bush tax cuts expire
$179 billlion - eliminate itemized deduction
$118 billion - capital gains tax hike

Total: $636 billion/10 years

2) Businesses:

$17 billion - Reinstate Superfund taxes
$24 billion - tax carried-interest as income
$5 billion - codify "economic substance doctrine"
$61 billion - repeal LIFO
$210 billion - international enforcement, reform deferral, other tax reform
$4 billion - information reporting for rental payments
$5.3 billion - excise tax on Gulf of Mexico oil and gas
$3.4 billion - repeal expensing of tangible drilling costs
$62 million - repeal deduction for tertiary injectants
$49 million - repeal passive loss exception for working interests in oil and natural gas properties
$13 billion - repeal manufacturing tax deduction for oil and natural gas companies
$1 billion - increase to 7 years geological and geophysical amortization period for independent producers
$882 million - eliminate advanced earned income tax credit

Total: $353 billion/10 years

Do you pay attention to much other than deals? Do you like paying taxes? Do you like paying for other peoples rent while they buy big screen TV's and Ipods?

That last sentence should be: "Do you like bailing out banks and insurance companies "too big to fail" without any criminal prosecution and the people who led the downfall walking away million and billionaires?"

I agree that should be included! Why cannot there be both sentences?

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Originally posted by: HomerJS
Anybody besides me think this thing is just an organizing tool for the GOP so they can go around tea bagging each other? More fake outrage being ginned up.

Interesting to note taxes have not been raised since Obama took over. In fact haven't federal payroll taxes gone down recently?

I don't remember any of these parties April 15, 2008.

You know what an organizing tool (or voter registrations) is for Dems? Cash and cigarettes! Tell me what is fake no one is being bussed in from Acorn.

Oh thanks for the $13 lol tax decrease niiiiice!

BMW540I6speed

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2005
When your "movement" comes from Fox News, Glenn Beck, Newt Gingrich and Dick Armey it's about as populist as Disney marketing teen rebellion. The backers of these tea parties don't care about the middle class. They've been fighting to shrink it since Reagan was in office.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Just got back from the party in Trenton. Am going to go back in a few, just had to pick up my jacket from work.

Its a great time, I don't know if it is going to do anything at all but its nice to know some other people in this country aren't dumb as fuck.

Maybe people will wake up.

haha in the middle of trenton, but NO black/minorities there. WHAT A SURPRISE!!! PEOPLE THAT DON'T PAY TAXES NOT SUPPORTING THE RALLY? WEIRD.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Leave it to the morons in the GOP to have nationwide tea parties when Obama has lowered taxes on the vast majority of Americans.

:thumbsdown: for stupidity.

RKDaley

Oct 27, 2007
Originally posted by: Insomniator

haha in the middle of trenton, but NO black/minorities there. WHAT A SURPRISE!!! PEOPLE THAT DON'T PAY TAXES NOT SUPPORTING THE RALLY? WEIRD.

Are you saying blacks and minorities do not pay taxes?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Just got back from the party in Trenton. Am going to go back in a few, just had to pick up my jacket from work.

Its a great time, I don't know if it is going to do anything at all but its nice to know some other people in this country aren't dumb as fuck.

Gee, I have no idea why blacks and minorities aren't attending an event where people are saying things like 'blacks and minorities don't pay taxes'.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999

Southern Strategy in action.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Leave it to the morons in the GOP to have nationwide tea parties when Obama has lowered taxes on the vast majority of Americans.

They can see past their noses and realize when one runs a 13% defict\gdp it will have to paid eventually. Either through taxation or inflation.

I view as an anti big gov demostration as much as a tax complaints.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Originally posted by: RKDaley

Why do I come to this forum.

I am saying that a larger percentage of the minority population do not pay income tax compared to whites. They love this redistribution/large gov bullshit.

I should know by now not to say anything here that isn't 100% crystal clear fact with sources supporting it. Apparently obvious generalizations are outlawed.

bbdub333

Aug 21, 2007
Leave it to the morons in the GOP to have nationwide tea parties when Obama has lowered

Really? When?

And if you paid any attention you would have caught the fact that these protests are mainly directed at ludicrous government spending of money that does't exist to bail out multi-billion dollar corporations and fulfill pet projects, not simply at taxes.

So in essence, they are protesting the fact that because of what the government is doing NOW, we will have to pay taxes out the ass in the future, and suffer from hyperinflation and a stagnant economy.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

I am saying that a larger percentage of the minority population do not pay income tax compared to whites. They love this redistribution/large gov bullshit.

I should know by now not to say anything here that isn't 100% crystal clear fact with sources supporting it. Apparently obvious generalizations are outlawed.

Nah, we heard what you said. Even your Backtracking is Fail.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

No, but stupid racist remarks are looked down upon. I don't know why you come here either.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Genx87

They can see past their noses and realize when one runs a 13% defict\gdp it will have to paid eventually. Either through taxation or inflation.

You forgot to consider such events as: 1.) Increased revenues from a recovering economy (assuming that happens), and 2.) Decrease in spending later as the economy recovers.

The economy will recover eventually, it always does.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Genx87

You forgot to consider such events as: 1.) Increased revenues from a recovering economy (assuming that happens), and 2.) Decrease in spending later as the economy recovers.

The economy will recover eventually, it always does.

You sound like a supply sider there.
Obama's own numbers dont paint a rosy picture. And he and his admin surely shined the turd as best they could.

I didnt forget them but they are irrelevant when the person selling us the plan cant even make the numbers look good.

Either way this type of deficit spending will cost us dearly and the people who get hurt the most will be the middle class regardless if he gave them a 13 dollar\paycheck tax break.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

oh really... and what will your kids or grandkids be paying in taxes? so short sighted its sickening.