Anyone going to the Chicago Tax Day Tea Party?

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
I was just wondering if anyone plans to protest there. Seems that quite a few people plan to go after researching it a bit.

I am most likely to go just to take some pictures and see what all the fuss is about.

Anyone plan on going and what exactly are "you" protesting about?

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
What? Did Congress raise taxes and I somehow missed it?

Im not to sure. It seems they are demonstrating against big government in my eyes. I am not an Obama supporter but I personally find this to be some radical GOP protest.

But as they say, Radicals make for quite a show!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Well all spending increases are fundamentally tax increases, because we'll have to pay for it sooner or later through reduced services or increased taxes.

Of course the government has been racking up debt for years, and on far far stupider things than Obama has decided to spend money on, but now that stupid and easily led people have been whipped into a frenzy, we'll have some tax day tea parties. Spend a few trillion blowing up Iraq? "fuck yeah Amurrikuh!" Spend a few trillion on rebuilding our country and saving our economy? Tea party time!

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Originally posted by: eskimospy

Well all spending increases are fundamentally tax increases, because we'll have to pay for it sooner or later through reduced services or increased taxes.

Of course the government has been racking up debt for years, and on far far stupider things than Obama has decided to spend money on, but now that stupid and easily led people have been whipped into a frenzy, we'll have some tax day tea parties. Spend a few trillion blowing up Iraq? "fuck yeah Amurrikuh!" Spend a few trillion on rebuilding our country and saving our economy? Tea party time!
If there's some kind of argument in there, it's buried too deep in all the drama to make it out. What I get out of it though, is that Democratic overspending = good, Republican overspending = bad. How did I do?

I also get the impression that liberals find tea party protests worrisome. I know they worry the media. Enough to where they don't even cover them.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: boomerang

If there's some kind of argument in there, it's buried too deep in all the drama to make it out. What I get out of it though, is that Democratic overspending = good, Republican overspending = bad. How did I do?

I also get the impression that liberals find tea party protests worrisome. I know they worry the media. Enough to where they don't even cover them.

Yeah, that's why when you type 'tea party msnbc' or 'tea party New York Times' into Google you end up with several mentions of them on TV, on the internet, or in the newspaper. I'm sure it's because they are so scared of them.

By the way, who is 'they'? I'd very much like to know.

You did terribly on reading and understanding my post though. I mean it was only 4 sentences. True there was one long one with a lot of commas in it, but I'm sure you can parse it if you try. My post contained no statement of value whatsoever on spending (or 'overspending) and if it were good or not in my own opinion. I stated I believed the targets of Obama's spending were far better than the targets of Bush's spending, but that's a far different matter. My post was describing the notable absence of these tea parties in past years when our government was also racking up large amounts of debt, and I am willing to bet significant numbers of the people who will participate them were enthusiastic supporters of the previous administration at some point.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Statistically speaking, some spending is likely to be better than some other spending, at least in terms of how much we benefit from it as citizens. Go figure though, that you'd assume all spending is equal in that regard.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000

Yeah, that's why when you type 'tea party msnbc' or 'tea party New York Times' into Google you end up with several mentions of them on TV, on the internet, or in the newspaper. I'm sure it's because they are so scared of them.

By the way, who is 'they'? I'd very much like to know.

You did terribly on reading and understanding my post though. I mean it was only 4 sentences. True there was one long one with a lot of commas in it, but I'm sure you can parse it if you try. My post contained no statement of value whatsoever on spending (or 'overspending) and if it were good or not in my own opinion. I stated I believed the targets of Obama's spending were far better than the targets of Bush's spending, but that's a far different matter. My post was describing the notable absence of these tea parties in past years when our government was also racking up large amounts of debt, and I am willing to bet significant numbers of the people who will participate them were enthusiastic supporters of the previous administration at some point.
LOL! Calling people stupid is always a precursor to a good argument. I'm sorry if you think I misunderstood your post, but gee whiz, your explanation seems to justify my interpretation. I think I got it right!

Your feelings about tea parties are of no consequence, but I do thank you for sharing them with us. People of this nation can still gather for peaceful protest. Their political leanings, although of great importance to you, are immaterial. It's the people's money and the people have the right to voice their opinions on how it should be spent. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that my impression is that they don't feel their voices are being heard.

The idea that tea parties are to be discounted because they weren't being held under the prior administration is ludicrous. Maybe the tea party attendees thought that change meant that government spending would be reined in instead of increased exponentially?

In closing calling people stupid who don't agree with you is really just childish.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

LOL! Calling people stupid is always a precursor to a good argument. I'm sorry if you think I misunderstood your post, but gee whiz, your explanation seems to justify my interpretation. I think I got it right!

Your feelings about tea parties are of no consequence, but I do thank you for sharing them with us. People of this nation can still gather for peaceful protest. Their political leanings, although of great importance to you, are immaterial. It's the people's money and the people have the right to voice their opinions on how it should be spent. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that my impression is that they don't feel their voices are being heard.

The idea that tea parties are to be discounted because they weren't being held under the prior administration is ludicrous. Maybe the tea party attendees thought that change meant that government spending would be reined in instead of increased exponentially?

In closing calling people stupid who don't agree with you is really just childish.

My explanation in no way justified your interpretation. I suggest you go read my original post, along with my explanation again. I made no statement as to whether or not overspending was ever good, bad, or anything in between. Not only that, but I never even stated that I considered the spending that has occurred over the last 9 years or so 'overspending'.

Their political leanings are completely immaterial to me. I only pointed out the apparent disparity between government spending protests in the past as compared today, along with the likely political leanings of those attending them. Would you like to take a wild stab at what percentage of attendees would describe themselves as 'conservative'? I think that any reasonable person would place that percentage as pretty high.

I do like your last two points though, because they really help me a lot. I find it very funny that you would think a group of people would consider their voices as 'not being heard' when they are organized through media establishment figures throughout the country by commentators broadcast worldwide, with viewership in the millions. Not only that, but these views are explicitly endorsed by one of the two major political parties in the US. Just because you aren't in the majority doesn't mean you aren't heard. It just means you aren't in the majority, something Republicans seem to be having a hard time dealing with.

As for if people thought 'change' would mean a decrease in government spending, that would most certainly mean they were stupid, or at least willfully ignorant. Obama's campaign for change was explicitly and repeatedly made as an appeal to post partisanship, not as some sort of government spending reduction. In fact his campaign promises were all about a whole load of new spending. You can agree or disagree with his policies, but if you thought he stood for some sort of lower spending, you're stupid.

In closing, stupidity is not dependent on ideology. Plenty of stupid people agree with me (steeplerot, dmcowen), and plenty of stupid people disagree with me. These people happen to be behaving stupidly.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007

What anyone with a memory and half a brain sees is the repug hypocrisy. It's that simple. Trying to give it additional meaning or spin it otherwise is intentional misdirection.

eleison

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Originally posted by: Andrew1990
I was just wondering if anyone plans to protest there. Seems that quite a few people plan to go after researching it a bit.

I am most likely to go just to take some pictures and see what all the fuss is about.

Anyone plan on going and what exactly are "you" protesting about?

sounds cool. I work downtown. I'll show up :)

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

Im not to sure. It seems they are demonstrating against big government in my eyes. I am not an Obama supporter but I personally find this to be some radical GOP protest.

Why do you consider the objection to big government such a "radical" thought or position?

Andrew1990

Banned
Mar 8, 2008
Originally posted by: palehorse

Why do you consider the objection to big government such a "radical" thought or position?

I dont consider the objection radical, in fact I believe that myself. All I am saying is that from the past protest it seems a lot of the radical people show up.

I am sorry if I phrased that wrong.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003

Don't worry I bolded it. It was pretty obvious.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005

I dont consider the objection radical, in fact I believe that myself. All I am saying is that from the past protest it seems a lot of the radical people show up.

no problem at all... the funny thing is, the right wing isn't known for its protests. It's usually the far left or the far far left radicals that make protests interesting. So, this one should be interesting just for the fact that it's the "right" allegedly coming out in force for a change... in multiple cities even!

Several of my friends are going to the one in DC, but they're not radical by any means... many, like me, voted for Obama. They're simply concerned about out-of-control spending that has taken over DC, on both sides of the aisle. As am I...

I might go if I can find the time. I wholeheartedly support the cause.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007

no problem at all... the funny thing is, the right wing isn't known for its protests. It's usually the far left or the far far left radicals that make protests interesting. So, this one should be interesting just for the fact that it's the "right" allegedly coming out in force for a change... in multiple cities even!

Several of my friends are going to the one in DC, but they're not radical by any means... many, like me, voted for Obama. They're simply concerned about out-of-control spending that has taken over DC, on both sides of the aisle. As am I...

The right is finally coming out. It's about time they fessed up. They've got a lot bottled up - expect fireworks.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000

I applaud your logical thinking. I plan to go to one, about an hour away from me. Politicians have been out of control for decades. This is not a partisan issue, it's about the people taking control of their government. To address recent history, I didn't support the war in Iraq and I don't support ramming spending bills through at the speed of light. Especially when we were promised the opposite. My representatives aren't listening to me, so maybe this will get their attention.

I don't understand the view of the far left to these. It's a right of the people to do this. They see it as some kind of threat.

In addition, these tea parties have been going on for months. You'd never know it because the mainstream media coverage has been conspicuously absent. No radicals or 'fireworks' so far. Every one I've seen video of has been totally peaceful.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999

Mr Obama is talking about raising taxes on people who earn more than $250,000 and lowering taxes on people who earn less than $250000. But AFAIK, this plan has not become law yet.