Anyone go to KU or live in Lawrence, Kansas ?

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000
Might be moving there soon.

What areas are good to get an apartment in?

I prefer something close to or in a downtown area if possible..

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
Cool deal!

Lawrence is a great place to live. I came here from the SF Bay Area seven years ago (yikes!) to go to school at KU. Everyone back home thought I was nuts for doing so but it was one of the best decisions I ever made. I graduated in 2000 but have a fantastic job here and just can't seem to leave. If you like live music Lawrence is a great place to be. I've probably seen 20 great shows here in the last year. Also, anything that Lawrence doesn't have (we finally got a Home Depot and Best Buy) Kansas City definitely does, and it's only 30-45 minutes away (depending on whether you take K-10 or I-70 and how fast you like to drive :D).

Yeah, I do miss the temperate California climate and the cuisine, but I do not miss the impossible housing prices, "move or I'll run over you" attitudes, and general snobbishness and exclusiveness demonstrated by *some* Californians. I do love to go back and visit Cali twice a year or so. But I digress...

I take it you have been to Lawrence before? So you know that downtown is on the East Side. Lawrence has grown dramatically West in the last 30 years or so, and much of the newer, nicer housing is located on the West side. I live in a great apt complex on West 6th Street. It only takes me 5 minutes in the car to get down to Mass St. (the main drag). If you won't have a car you can always take the "T" (aka the bus).

Any other questions let me know.

l2c

deftron

Lifer
Nov 17, 2000
Cool.

My dad lives about 40 minutes form Lawrence.

Has a place in Miami county.

One of the major reasons I want to move there is because I always
hear about good shows there and a good music scene.

Also, it's supposed to be community oriented town.

I'm gonna try to get into KU, along with my girlfriend. She studies ballet and I
guess they have a good Music/Dance school.

I've never actually been to Lawrence.. but I'm familiar with the layout of the area
Stayed in Kansas City for a summerwhen my dad lived there.

I was just wondering if Lawrence had a good downtown area with like row house aprtments
or just older houses (and cheap ;)) that are within good walking distance to resaurants, parks, bars, etc.
I'll most likely get a car, but I'm used to downtown living and walking places.

I think I'm gonna visit later this month and peep around.. see what's there.

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
Oh yeah, lots of big cheap houses downtown. Many that are a five minute walk from downtown Mass St. (as opposed to a 5 minute drive). Just a little tip on the streets. Numbered streets run East-West, and Lawrence is "roughly" covered within 31st St (South end) to 6th St. In general, the streets that run North to South are named after US States. The bigger ones are Mass. St, Iowa, Kentucky, and Tennessee, some others.

I'd look for houses to rent on the streets just west of Mass St---Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio, Louisiana. And downtown runs from 6th Street (the North end) and definitely pitters out around 19th, so keep that in mind.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me... I don't check by this place too often these days. Also if you want a tour or anything let me know.

l2c

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
Originally posted by: hevnsnt
I live not to far outside of Lawrence.. its a great town, but KSU is better.

...yeah maybe if you like limestone architecture! :p

I've been to Manhattan twice in my life and I honestly tried to like it, but K-State's campus is so flat, drab, and ugly. All the buildings look the same. There's just no comparison between K-State and KU's campuses. KU's campus is nicer than Stanford's IMHO (although they're very different).

As far as the cities themselves... even disregarding Lawrence's incredible downtown and live music scene, I'd still prefer to live in Lawrence due to its proximity to KC. Manhattan is an island out in the middle of nowhere.

I won't bother comparing the educations/sports, etc since both schools are more or less equal in that regard, although it seems to me that KU's BBall program is more prominent than K-State's Football squad.

I don't want to pick a fight or anything, but I honestly couldn't find much in Manhattan that was any better than Lawrence. Bars, perhaps... but I think that's merely indicative of of the conclusion that there's really nothing else to do out there :)

l2c

pecel

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2000
My brother went there before, and told me it was a nice town :)

Go to OU, better school and better football :p

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by: pecel
My brother went there before, and told me it was a nice town :)

Go to OU, better school and better football :p

I :heart: Oklahoma. Lived in Yukon for 4 years and it was the nicest place I have ever lived.

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
lawrence isn't bad, but man, stay away from Northwest Kansas.. most boring region in the whole world, hundreds of small towns with an avg of 50 people each town... grrr i hated the days i spent there...

luv2chill

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Xiety
lawrence isn't bad, but man, stay away from Northwest Kansas.. most boring region in the whole world, hundreds of small towns with an avg of 50 people each town... grrr i hated the days i spent there...
Actually I'd like to broaden that a little... just stay away from Western Kansas period. Sadly, Western Kansas fits the stereotype of what west and east coasters think ALL of Kansas is--a whole lot of nothing. Apologies to any Western Kansans! :p

l2c

Turkish

Lifer
May 26, 2003
Originally posted by: luv2chill
Originally posted by: Xiety
Actually I'd like to broaden that a little... just stay away from Western Kansas period. Sadly, Western Kansas fits the stereotype of what west and east coasters think ALL of Kansas is--a whole lot of nothing. Apologies to any Western Kansans! :p

l2c

oh man, i dont know much about west kansas but seriously northwest kansas just blows....
every fvckin way you turn, guess what you see? you see nothing ! all fvckin plain... maybe if you are lucky, you ll see a couple of pig farms, a tractor and a gas station that sells nothing but beer..
ok here is the list of towns that you should get any closer than 100 miles:

Almena (this is very important, that town blows your nuts off)
Kensington
Phillipsburg
Norton
Stockton
Hill City
Colby
Atwood
Oberlin
Hoxie
Plainville (what a fvckin name)
Ellis
and Hays (this is the biggest one of the above, ~50k people i think)

Just do yourself a favor, and stay away from there...

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Well, I'll was going to chime in here, but L2C has already covered the bases. I spent 4 great years at KU as an undergrad, and now that I'm moved away from Lawrence, I miss every penny of it. East of campus there are a lot of houses for rent. There are all sorts of apartment complexes around town, too, in a very wide range of prices. Downtown consists of Mass St, and the two streets on either side (west and east), though I can't remember their names. You'll find lots of small, unique stores and restaurants on Mass, along with most o the great bars in town. To the west and south of campus you'll find a lot of your major stores like Target, Walmart, and KMart.

Lawrence isn't a hard town to figure out at all as it is pretty small. After a few weeks you'll know your way around town without a problem. Enjoy your time out there!

Ryan
PS- K10 highway is the easiest way to get to the areas of Kansas City for shopping, plus it is free.

gistech1978

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2002
ive been to several shows in lawrence @ liberty hall to see moe. great venue, i liked the murals on the walls
lawrence rocks, nice people, lots of stoners around, decent disc golf course. there was this rastafarian guy @ kinko's who gave me the biggest smile for no apparent reason. he was cool, meet that dude. he knows whats up.
:D