• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Anyone from the Hartford area?

BHeemsoth

Platinum Member
Jul 30, 2002
2,738
0
76
I will be graduating college in May, and am being recruited by several companies in the Hartford area for IT positions.

I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with the area and could tell me a little about it. I'm basically looking for the social atmosphere, cost of living, etc. I would most likely live outside the city in one of the suburbs.

Thanks,
Brinn
 

CptFarlow

Senior member
Apr 8, 2005
381
0
0
I live in Bristol, CT. As Coquito put it, well, grey and depressing. Haha.

Well I really don't think it's all that bad. I just got done with a job in the West Hartford Center, where you will either meet the most down-to-earth college students or the most pretentious pompous-nosed stuck-up money-hungry pricks ever.

On second thought, I'm not in the best of moods to give advice right now...forget everything I just said. I'll post more later...
 

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
29,933
2
81
Originally posted by: CptFarlow
I live in Bristol, CT. As Coquito put it, well, grey and depressing. Haha.

Well I really don't think it's all that bad. I just got done with a job in the West Hartford Center, where you will either meet the most down-to-earth college students or the most pretentious pompous-nosed stuck-up money-hungry pricks ever.

On second thought, I'm not in the best of moods to give advice right now...forget everything I just said. I'll post more later...
I would say more of the later.
 

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
29,933
2
81
Where are you from now? What is your current lifestyle? What are your expectations? Give me some more background of where you are coming from and waht companies you are looking at.
 

BHeemsoth

Platinum Member
Jul 30, 2002
2,738
0
76
Iceberg,

I'm coming from the Metrowest suburbs of Boston. I'm looking to live in a somewhat suburban environment, with a manageable commute. I'd like to live in an area with a strong population of people my age, so that I can lead a good social life.

I'm looking at The Hartford, Aetna, Travelers, and United Technologies. A few of these firms are outside the city, which is nice in my book.
 

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
29,933
2
81
Originally posted by: rpbri2886
Iceberg,

I'm coming from the Metrowest suburbs of Boston. I'm looking to live in a somewhat suburban environment, with a manageable commute. I'd like to live in an area with a strong population of people my age, so that I can lead a good social life.

I'm looking at The Hartford, Aetna, Travelers, and United Technologies. A few of these firms are outside the city, which is nice in my book.
Ok I will very blunt here. I am assuming you are ~22 years old

if you live anywhere other than hartford you will be miserable. There is very little if anything to do in the suburbs of hartford. Traffic is an absolute fvcking nightmare on 84 getting in and out of hartford. Especially if there is an precipitation these people don't know how to drive. 10 miles from work could mean 60 minute commute some days.

All the bars and clubs are in hartford. You will find it difficult to meet anyone if you are not in the heart of it all by the colleges and universities and downtown areas.

Salary for the Entry level jobs at those companies are going to seem slightly higher but living in CT isn't cheap so don't use that to determine whether you come here. Also they will try and lure you in because they are big name companies but the pay and benefits are average at best. I know people that work there and they are just numbers in a computer. If your gonna be a number in a computer go somewhere else than hartford.

I Moved from southern CT New haven area to Hartford county 2 years and I am moving back at the end of this month. I won't miss a thing. There is nothing here. This is a great place to raise a family when your 35 and settled. A SHITTY place to move to after college or when your young. Oh yeah and you can't buy beer on sunday.

Overall I would not recommend moving to the hartford area. I would look at boston, nyc area.

The only benefit would be if you are lucky enough to hit it off with a girl from the valley that comes from money. But....again there are better places to find that.

any other questions feel free.
 

Crafty35a

Senior member
Feb 2, 2003
253
0
76
Funny, I'm actually moving from the Boston metro area (South Shore) to West Hartford this Saturday. Hartford itself is nothing special... in fact, from driving through it, much of it is a dump. But I really like West Hartford. Reminds me somewhat of Cambridge, actually.
 

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
29,933
2
81
Originally posted by: Crafty35a
Funny, I'm actually moving from the Boston metro area (South Shore) to West Hartford this Saturday. Hartford itself is nothing special... in fact, from driving through it, much of it is a dump. But I really like West Hartford. Reminds me somewhat of Cambridge, actually.
max's oyster bar is known for its cougar and milf hunting. check it out on a friday happy hour.

 

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
24,235
1,865
126
The cost of living is high in Hartford, but so is the rest of Connecticut for that matter.

Coming from Massachusetts, you'll probably be used to overpaying for things.

New Haven and Danbury more interesting from a social aspect, but if you live in either of those spots you're going to have an hour commute to work.
 

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001
3,290
1
81
Wow, I didn't know so many people were from the area. If you all want to stop over for a beer feel free!

I lived in Philly for 6 years before moving up to CT. The first two years I lived here I had an apartment in Waterbury. I lived in a good area and I still miss it a little. Two years ago I bought a house in Southington and I don't regret my choice. I guess if you're looking to booze it up and never grow up then stay in a city with taxi's and nightclubs. I like living in CT where I'm a few hours Boston, NY, and Philly, where the temperature isn't oppressive like the South, and it's close to the ocean. Depending on where you work might depend on how long it takes you to get into work. The roads here suck, but they are no worse than 95 was in Philly and are positively great compared to NYC. I don't understand the rain thing either, a drop of water falls from the sky and traffic just stops.

I'm around 17 miles from Hartford and my commute takes around 20-25 minutes in the morning. Any questions, feel free to ask.
 

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
24,235
1,865
126
Originally posted by: markgm
Wow, I didn't know so many people were from the area. If you all want to stop over for a beer feel free!

I lived in Philly for 6 years before moving up to CT. The first two years I lived here I had an apartment in Waterbury. I lived in a good area and I still miss it a little.
Wait a minute.... There are GOOD parts of Waterbury? :)
 

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001
3,290
1
81
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
Originally posted by: markgm
Wow, I didn't know so many people were from the area. If you all want to stop over for a beer feel free!

I lived in Philly for 6 years before moving up to CT. The first two years I lived here I had an apartment in Waterbury. I lived in a good area and I still miss it a little.
Wait a minute.... There are GOOD parts of Waterbury? :)
I lived right behind the Staples/Stop and Shop plaza. I really miss being able to walk over there anytime I needed something or wanted to get something to eat! There was an awesome pizza joint back there too, and a movie theater...
 

markgm

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2001
3,290
1
81
Originally posted by: Phokus
Originally posted by: markgm
Originally posted by: Phokus
Hartford is a crime infested dump, stay away!
Don't you live in a similar area? :D:beer:
No, i live OUTSIDE waterbury ;)
I thought it was Naugatuck or Meriden. That was a few years ago. We never did meet up while we were both at small blue. Still there?
 

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
22,995
774
126
Originally posted by: markgm
Originally posted by: Phokus
Originally posted by: markgm
Originally posted by: Phokus
Hartford is a crime infested dump, stay away!
Don't you live in a similar area? :D:beer:
No, i live OUTSIDE waterbury ;)
I thought it was Naugatuck or Meriden. That was a few years ago. We never did meet up while we were both at small blue. Still there?
Naugatuck ... ok it's not the prettiest place ever, but i don't fear for my life :p

yeah, i still work at the same place... nonstop work! :<
 

Superwormy

Golden Member
Feb 7, 2001
1,637
0
0
I've grown up around Hartford, mostly near Storrs.

You probably *do not* want to live *in* Hartford. Hartford is pretty run-down and there are quite a few bad areas. That said, West Hartford, Glastonbury, Rocky Hill, and Manchester (all within 15 minutes of Hartford) are really pretty nice and much more upscale. West Hartford and Glastonbury have some decent bars and a decent downtown and stuff. It's nothing compared to downtown Boston or the night-life of Boston though.

United Technologies and Travelers are *very* good companies to work for. United Technologies espeically.
 

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
29,933
2
81
Originally posted by: Superwormy
I've grown up around Hartford, mostly near Storrs.

You probably *do not* want to live *in* Hartford. Hartford is pretty run-down and there are quite a few bad areas. That said, West Hartford, Glastonbury, Rocky Hill, and Manchester (all within 15 minutes of Hartford) are really pretty nice and much more upscale. West Hartford and Glastonbury have some decent bars and a decent downtown and stuff. It's nothing compared to downtown Boston or the night-life of Boston though.

United Technologies and Travelers are *very* good companies to work for. United Technologies espeically.
thats not a fair assessment. Its very easy to steer clear of the ghettos.
 

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
22,995
774
126
Originally posted by: Superwormy
I've grown up around Hartford, mostly near Storrs.

You probably *do not* want to live *in* Hartford. Hartford is pretty run-down and there are quite a few bad areas. That said, West Hartford, Glastonbury, Rocky Hill, and Manchester (all within 15 minutes of Hartford) are really pretty nice and much more upscale. West Hartford and Glastonbury have some decent bars and a decent downtown and stuff. It's nothing compared to downtown Boston or the night-life of Boston though.

United Technologies and Travelers are *very* good companies to work for. United Technologies espeically.
Glastonbury is a great town, i can vouch for this!
 

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
29,933
2
81
Originally posted by: Phokus
Originally posted by: Superwormy
I've grown up around Hartford, mostly near Storrs.

You probably *do not* want to live *in* Hartford. Hartford is pretty run-down and there are quite a few bad areas. That said, West Hartford, Glastonbury, Rocky Hill, and Manchester (all within 15 minutes of Hartford) are really pretty nice and much more upscale. West Hartford and Glastonbury have some decent bars and a decent downtown and stuff. It's nothing compared to downtown Boston or the night-life of Boston though.

United Technologies and Travelers are *very* good companies to work for. United Technologies espeically.
Glastonbury is a great town, i can vouch for this!
yeah a great town when your 35 and when your 22 are two different things
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY