Anyone familiar with syncing blackberry's and exchange?

BZeto

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2002
Do you NEED BlackBerry Enterprise Server for it to work? From what I can tell that looks to be the case. Which is odd since I can get Windows Mobile 5/6 phones to sync fine, and blackberry's are known to be fully corporate compadible.

Btw, I dont want to use any ghetto software on a client machine to do the exchange pushing.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Wireless sync requires BES. You can download a lite version that allows one free phone and up to four additional users for $100 each. After that you need the full BES package. AFAIK

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Yes it runs on the Exchange server using an account called BESAdmin.

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
We have a server used just for BES. Exchange has enough to do without having to run BES as well. :)

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: BAMAVOO
We have a server used just for BES. Exchange has enough to do without having to run BES as well. :)

I guess it really depends on how many BB users you have. :)

DOTC

Jul 2, 2006
BES Express will run fine on the exchange or SBS server up to 15 users. If all you want is e-mail sync, you could always just install the Desktop redirector on the users computer. They must leave the computer on 24/7 if they want e-mail constantly.

Most providers (att, tmobile, sprint) have a website you can log into to setup e-mail sync.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: DOTC
BES Express will run fine on the exchange or SBS server up to 15 users. If all you want is e-mail sync, you could always just install the Desktop redirector on the users computer. They must leave the computer on 24/7 if they want e-mail constantly.

Most providers (att, tmobile, sprint) have a website you can log into to setup e-mail sync.

Doesn't that just check the email account every 15 minute and push to the phone? BES will sync everything in real time to the users' exchange box including subfolders and calendars, etc. which I thought was neat.

EDIT: Express is 15 users now?

hiromizu

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Originally posted by: BZeto
Do you NEED BlackBerry Enterprise Server for it to work? From what I can tell that looks to be the case. Which is odd since I can get Windows Mobile 5/6 phones to sync fine, and blackberry's are known to be fully corporate compadible.

Btw, I dont want to use any ghetto software on a client machine to do the exchange pushing.

Yes, you need Blackberry Enterprise Server in order for it to work. It has some idiosyncrasies you have to watch out for. It is also an SQL application but can run on MSDE as well - but better on full SQL.

Currently the free version is called BES Professional and allows up to 30 users per BES server at $99 for each user CAL.

It is highly recommended that you run BES on a dedicated Windows 2003 member server that does not have Outlook installed as it installs its own MAPI client to connect to Exchange. Do not install it on your Exchange server and do not install it on a domain controller.

You'll need to create a plain domain user called Besadmin and give it the "send as" permission at the root of the domain - failure at this step will result in major fucking earthquake elephant headaches.

Good luck.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: hiromizu

You'll need to create a plain domain user called Besadmin and give it the "send as" permission at the root of the domain - failure at this step will result in major fucking earthquake elephant headaches.

The dreaded red [X] when sending messages from the phone. :Q That started with that security update for Exchange a while ago. All the domain admins could no longer send from their phones.Then DST2007 came along about a year ago. I'd hate to be an Admin for that stuff. ;)

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: BZeto

Yes, you need Blackberry Enterprise Server in order for it to work. It has some idiosyncrasies you have to watch out for. It is also an SQL application but can run on MSDE as well - but better on full SQL.

Currently the free version is called BES Professional and allows up to 30 users per BES server at $99 for each user CAL.

It is highly recommended that you run BES on a dedicated Windows 2003 member server that does not have Outlook installed as it installs its own MAPI client to connect to Exchange. Do not install it on your Exchange server and do not install it on a domain controller.

Good luck.

yea anybody who had domain admin rights will not be able to send email. that was a bitch to fix.

DOTC

Jul 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Rubycon

Doesn't that just check the email account every 15 minute and push to the phone? BES will sync everything in real time to the users' exchange box including subfolders and calendars, etc. which I thought was neat.

EDIT: Express is 15 users now?

Yeah, BES Express uses a small business license. Anything over 15 users and you have to upgrade to the Enterprise license. and yes, the desktop redirector is nowhere near as cool as BES. Express is worth it if all you need is yourself. (and you have exchange)

hiromizu

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
One other thing, don't install BES on a WAN link to the Exchange Server - always install it on a server on the same subnet.

DOTC

Jul 2, 2006
One other thing, don't install BES on a WAN link to the Exchange Server - always install it on a server on the same subnet.

when you download the software, there should be a link to a PDF file that explains everything you would need to know to get it up and running.

EXCEPT!!! If you have SQL Express 2005 installed... please call blackberry for install help.

hiromizu

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007

when you download the software, there should be a link to a PDF file that explains everything you would need to know to get it up and running.

EXCEPT!!! If you have SQL Express 2005 installed... please call blackberry for install help.

Problem is most people don't read that stuff :laugh:

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Originally posted by: BAMAVOO
1400 users on Exchange and growing, 90 BB users and hopefully not growing :)

That's nothing. We have 4 BES servers with almost 1000 users each. a 5th BES was just deployed and a 6th is coming soon.

And to make it more fun...we have various device models on Sprint, Nextel, ATT & Verizon.

hiromizu

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Originally posted by: child of wonder
At least you guys don't have to support BES and Groupwise.

Ugh..... my head hurts.

Can't be as bad as Groupwise and Notifylink w/Treos!