Anyone familiar with Raw Food?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Thinking about jumping in a bit. I met someone who is into raw food and they said it really helped their health and energy level. I wouldn't go 100% because I love meat too much, but maybe 75%. Any of you tried it?

Manuwell

Jan 19, 2006
Do you mean raw like, neither cooked nor processed ?

Do you mean everything that an average person on an average day can eat is raw/unprocessed ? (dough, veggies, meat, fish, coffee... )

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
How are you going to eat raw meat? You'll catch e-coli, barf/shit a cow, get deathly ill, and possibly die.

Raw food FTL.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
uhhh... i wouldn't eat raw chicken or beef... if you are gonna eat raw, make sure it's sushi-grade fish or something...

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I won't even eat raw milk cheese, much less raw meat.
Benefits are dubious and risk are very real if you ask me.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I do like raw veggies though. I hate when veggies are cooked. But meat and milk has to be at least heated to temperature to pasteurize it for me to touch it.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
You might as well just go with USDA Organic. Easier to get with a wider selection, albeit more expensive.

That said, try just eating healthy and exercising. That will do more for your energy level than going raw ever could, even if the benefits are real.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Before you try that, try this:

-Lots of regular exercise
-No high-fructose corn syrup
-Low saturated fat
-High fiber
-At least 128oz of water per day
-Vitamins (B, C, E, Flax seed oil)

I'm doing that and there's a world of difference. I cheat now and then, but that's okay. I wouldn't do anything as drastic as a raw food diet.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Chaotic42
Before you try that, try this:

-Lots of regular exercise
-No high-fructose corn syrup
-Low saturated fat
-High fiber
-At least 128oz of water per day
-Vitamins (B, C, E, Flax seet oil)

Boring.

Ophir

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2001
I eat raw beef and eggs all the time. Carpaccio, steak tartar, and fish sashimi are delicious. A raw egg in a shake makes it smoother and tastier, as well. As long as you are careful about the preparation of your food, I would say there is little danger.

Ophir

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2001
As for the health aspects of eating raw food, I think their claims are pretty ridiculous. All the proteins will be denatured and cleaved in the digestive process anyway, and I can't think that all that many of the nutrients are heat-labile at 160F. Without doing a controlled study, which would be close to impossible, there is no way to eliminate the significant bias associated with changing diet and how a person feels - something that is much more psychological than anything.

The very marginal benefits of eating raw are heavily outweighed by the added expense and difficulty in food preparation to ensure cleanliness. I have yet to hear of elite athletes or historical geniouses disparaging cooked food.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Originally posted by: moshquerade
You mean this?

http://www.nov55.com/hea/food.html

Thank you for being, as usual, the voice of reason :laugh:

Raw food does not mean raw food, it's a type of diet where you eat veggies and fruit uncooked. At high temperatures, heat will kill important enzymes in food that supposedly aid in some health-related things. It does not involve eating raw meat such as beef or chicken; it's more focused on eating fresh produce and using a juicer/blender/food processor to make meals. Basically taking out the processed part of foods like preservatives and dyes.

Hecubus28

Jan 29, 2005
I eat raw beef all the time. I have not got sick off it once in about 20 years. Good stuff.
Chicken and Pork on the other hand I would never eat raw.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Less artifacts but takes up more memory. Bigger storage required. :laugh:

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Only what I've seen on TV and read. Probably very healthy, but when you get to the baked/cooked goods being more dehydrated and meats being cured like the afore-mentioned steak tartar the preparation of the food looks to be double in effort and 10 times more time consuming.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I think it's more of a function of the food choices and removal of "processed" foods more than anything else. I'd be very concerned about getting enough calories, iron, calcium, and protein. It's essentially a vegetarian diet by most sites that I looked at.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Also, as far as the claims for "more energy, more life, better health, lower cholesterol, ect"....

Well if you take a crappy diet and simply cut out the crap...you are going to feel better and be healthier. There's no real magic or secret there. Anybody that goes from eating cheeseburgers, fries, bleached flour, an and little to no veggies or fruit to a diet that is low in the high fat stuff and one that is high in "good" stuff is going to feel worlds better.

The cooking method really has little impact or value IMHO on the overall "health". Some, possibly, but the simple inclusion of those foods that replace bad foods is more of the reason than anything else.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Check out the South Beach diet.

It basically cuts out processed foods. Might be a bit easier and you don't have to limit yourself so much.