anyone familiar w/ "tent webbing"? i have some questions...

vexingv

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2002
I was thinking of replacing the existing strap with a new one using "tent webbing" (can be purchased with another item i'm ordering), but I'm not familiar with this kind of webbing and was wondering if it'll be good for in this application. skip to questions below if you want or read on further....

I want to replace the strap on my recently purchased Patagonia Half Mass bag as it is too long and I can't adjust the length any shorter. I saw this mod online and wanted to do something similar by adding an airline seatbelt buckle. I'll be doing this by hand with the aid of a Speedy Stitcher that I plan on buying since I don't have access to a sewing machine (likely wouldn't have been able to handle stitching webbing anyway). Campmor, where I'm buying the stitcher, only has "tent webbing" and doesn't offer any descriptions aside from the color and size (black and 1.5 inches). I'm not familiar with tent webbing. Can someone help me out:

Questions

1. 1) Is tent webbing made from nylon?
    2) Do you think it is soft/supple/comfortable/durable for use as a shoulder strap? (some points of reference for comparison: compression straps found on many daypacks, thick/hard shoulder straps found on Timbuk2 messenger bags, soft like )
    3) Is it smooth-faced or rough/abrasive?
    4) Typically, is tent webbing (in the 1.5 inch width size) thick or thin?
    5) Would it be strong enough for use in a shoulder/messenger bag?
    6) Would it be too tough or thick to stitch by hand using a Speedy Stitcher/sewing awl?
    7) Would this tent webbing hold/stay in place on the airline seatbelt buckle's retention/adjustment mechanism? (ie. no slippage/loosening of the buckle when applying a load/weight on the strap)
    8) Any other choices or recommendations for webbing in such an application?

Ideally, I would like a not-too-thick, flat nylon webbing that is durable, soft, and lightweight (yet still strong enough as a strap for a messenger bag) so that it's comfortable to wear and easy to stitch by hand. I know I could check out stores or fabric shops, but I don't really have the time to do the legwork and search around town. And if buying from other online shops, I'd be paying more on shipping cost than for the actual webbing itself. So if the tent webbing is suitable for this application, I'll pick it up along w/ the Speedy Stitcher that I already plan on buying.

Thanks