Anyone experienced with Arctic HSFs on recent Intel platforms?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I have a left-over Arctic Freezer 13 from my AM3 setup, the HSF apparently is compatible with my current setup (Haswell), however on the day of building my current setup, I tried to install the Freezer 13 and had real problems with the push-pins.

IIRC, the first part of the push-pin would go in OK, but the second part of the push-pin that locks into the first would just get jammed halfway through the locking procedure. To remove it I had to remove the board from the case (my case does not have a window on the backplate allowing access to that area of the board's underside), then following another forum tip, using pliers to squeeze the jammed push-pin out of its half-locked position.

After a bit of trouble with it, and the fact that I had no spare thermal paste (I was using what I could from the Intel stock heatsink), led me to give up on it and install the stock heatsink.

However, as always, I'd like a quieter system. The i5-4690k (stock freq) is running idle at about 40C with the fan going at about 1300rpm. On the other hand, I really cannot be bothered to take my machine apart only to encounter the same problem again and without any new ideas for how to overcome the problems I've been having with the Freezer 13 cooler. On AM3 it was a cinch to install.

The instructions for the F13:
http://support.arctic.ac/index.php?p=f13&lang=en

I've considered buying another cooler, but a) I'd prefer to avoid spending more money, b) I already have this cooler, and c) it would be sod's law for another cooler to have some other similarly frustrating issue.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
pushpins are a pain to get done right sometimes, so i know your pain.

unfortunately, there is no way out of your scenario as it seems the pushpins itself maybe defective hence why its locking like that.

Im going to take a guess and assume that you are mounting it properly with pushpins, but they just wont lock on the second tick part, hence why i am guessing they are probably defective.

A motherboard should not have to be removed to remove pushpins, a simple twist should allow you to pull them off, but again, i am assuming they are defective.

There are better sinks out there now, which wont break your budget and do not use pushpins... ie.. the hyper evo 212 is a great heat sink which uses screw retention hardware.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
They're not the same as stock Intel push-pins, if you check the URL I sent you'll see what I mean.

I've seen the TX3 EVO which has standard Intel-type push-pins, but the evo 212 looks a bit custom.

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
The Cryorig M9i has a solid mount, easier and more solid than 212. It's a little more custom than the 212 mount, which is a little more byzantine. ( $19.99 at the egg)

The little AC coolers are easier to use on AMD systems. Intel's pushpin system was designed to fulfill their stock cooler's primary function - retail box stuffer and paperweight.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The little AC coolers are easier to use on AMD systems. Intel's pushpin system was designed to fulfill their stock cooler's primary function - retail box stuffer and paperweight.

That seems a little harsh, don't you think? As long as you're not overclocking, aside from the i7-4790K CPU running Prime95 with MCE enabled in BIOS, most of the time the stock cooler is just fine.

Sheep221

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2012
That seems a little harsh, don't you think? As long as you're not overclocking, aside from the i7-4790K CPU running Prime95 with MCE enabled in BIOS, most of the time the stock cooler is just fine.
They only work to the point where CPU will not critically overheat, throttle or shut down. But are noisy, the RPM increase pretty quickly once you turn up any load and noise tend to increase once the fan gets more wear, which is not adequate cooling in my opinion. Intel heatsink is good for office machines where the workplace rush will mask the fan noise but not much beyond that. High profile LGA775 or S478 stock heatsinks were much better and much more durable than 1156+ ones.

Last edited:

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
They only work to the point where CPU will not critically overheat, throttle or shut down. But are noisy, the RPM increase pretty quickly once you turn up any load and noise tend to increase once the fan gets more wear, which is not adequate cooling in my opinion. Intel heatsink is good for office machines where the workplace rush will mask the fan noise but not much beyond that. High profile LGA775 or S478 stock heatsinks were much better and much more durable than 1156+ ones.

+10 dB!

:D