Question Updated with build pics! Check it out! Anyone ever used this case before?

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
So my 14 year old son and I are in the process of building him a new pc to replace his aging Z77/i7-3770K platform that he is currently using. So far I've chosen most of the parts like cpu, mb, ram, storage, and power supply but I thought it was important for him to pick out the case.

This was for a couple reasons one being I thought it was important that he felt like he helped contribute to picking out the parts and two he's the one who has to look at it so I wanted something he thought was aesthetically pleasing to him.

So to get to the point after picking a budget and using Newegg to dial in the choices he looked through six pages of cases and decided on the Segotep Phoenix. Here's a link to it: https://www.newegg.com/black-segotep-phoenix/p/2AM-005R-00009?Item=9SIAM7KA3F8498

After watching a few youtube build vids the orientation of this case seems different than what I'm used to. So has anyone here used this case before? If so anything to watch out for such as cable management issues, gpu installation, storage installation, ect or is it pretty straight forward?

EDIT: One thing to mention is he is using his own money to buy/build this pc and he has been saving for it for almost a year. While I did try to sway him toward a different case ultimately this was the one he wanted and since it's his money this is what we get to work with.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
The link to the product description is for the NO FAN version. The other selection is 3 FANS. The on line materials do not make clear which fans come with the product discussed. I would call the vendor and sort that out.Do you need to buy the case fans also ?
Re orientation, the board is turned 90 degrees which may not be a problem for you to work with and secondly the glass side is on the right of the case, suitable for a case sitting on the left of the usual table or user position. If little Johnny will have the case to his right, he may well miss all the RGB glory from inside the case.

If you have build experience don't be afraid to use it.

Last edited:

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Thanks guys appreciate the insight. @deustroop I did notice that the no fan version is selected but if you click on the "3 rgb fan" option it kicks you over to the Argus case and he doesn't like that one. He wants the Phoenix and so I did already mention to him that he would have to buy some rgb case fans to help cool the system.

Sounds like building in this case should be pretty straight forward. I guess if I have any questions I know where to ask.:)

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Alright so we finished the build today so I thought I would update this thread with a few pics. No official numbers yet but the "seat of the pants" test tells us this one as a lot faster.

So this is what he wanted to replace. Z77 in an old Coolermaster case. This should bring back some memories for a few of you. Cable management was non existent in this case. The only thing we repurposed was the RedDevil RX580 8gb because as we all know about gpu prices right now.
IMG_20210420_123229908_HDR.jpg

Here's a pic of the new parts.
IMG_20210420_102736027_HDR.jpg

Alright I hope you guys are ready for RGB action. Keep in mind he is only 14 and he used his own money to purchase this build. Sorry I forgot to take the side panel off.
IMG_20210420_182344203_HDR.jpg

And here is a pic of the front.
IMG_20210420_172412977.jpg

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Are all the back panel cables out of the top of that case?

Btw, love the six foot folding table and towel, I have the same thing going on while I've upgraded 😁

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
its odd that they went with the silverstone ft02/raven type of rotated mb orientation but kept conventional front/back fan layout. seems like really long video cards would form a wall blocking most of the airflow from the intake fans. if they had rotated it 180 into an almost btx or inverted atx layout the flow from front to back would be way more unimpeded. but that would take away from the main strength of 90 deg rotation which is less strain on the gpu pcb from being in a vertical orientation.

it is a visually interesting case, restrained but blingy enough with rgb. it would be cool if you could slide out the front panel art and replace it with your own custom image. you might even be able to find a holographic photography studio to make a properly sized insert.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Are all the back panel cables out of the top of that case?

Btw, love the six foot folding table and towel, I have the same thing going on while I've upgraded 😁
Yep the mainboard is rotated so all the i/o comes out of the top. I'll attach a pic of the top of the case with the cover off so you can see. And yes nothing better to build a pc on than the folding table and towel haha it works well and after you're done just tear it down.
its odd that they went with the silverstone ft02/raven type of rotated mb orientation but kept conventional front/back fan layout. seems like really long video cards would form a wall blocking most of the airflow from the intake fans. if they had rotated it 180 into an almost btx or inverted atx layout the flow from front to back would be way more unimpeded. but that would take away from the main strength of 90 deg rotation which is less strain on the gpu pcb from being in a vertical orientation.

it is a visually interesting case, restrained but blingy enough with rgb. it would be cool if you could slide out the front panel art and replace it with your own custom image. you might even be able to find a holographic photography studio to make a properly sized insert.
Cool idea and something to look into if he ever gets bored with the front cover art and wants to change it. Thanks for the idea!

Here's a couple of more pics and then I'm done posting them. This first one is the top of the case with the cover removed.
IMG_20210421_190757373_HDR.jpg

And this last one is a pic of the side with the temperd glass panel removed so it's a little easier to see.
IMG_20210421_185507812_HDR.jpg

Reactions: ch33zw1z