Anyone ever used LetsTalk.com?

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
I'm looking into cell phones and I want Cingular because they have the best reception in my area. The phone I was interested in, the Sony-Ericsson T616, is $100 after a $50 rebate from Cingular's website. LetsTalk.com has the same phone for only $50 after the rebate when signing up for a Cingular plan.

I have no experience with cell phones, especially when going through third parties such as LetsTalk for your contract and phone. I don't understand how they can make any money if the contract is with Cingular for the wireless service and they're selling phones for even cheaper than the cell phone companies also.

Is LetsTalk reliable? Can I trust them to get my rebate? How do they stay in business? Any other info anyone has that I should know is appreciated....

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
My understanding is that they pass their commissions from the vendors on to the customers in the hopes that higher sales volume will make up for it.

I ordered from them and found them to be pretty good. The customer service folk were always friendly and helpful and I never had to wait on hold very long. I forgot to mail in my rebates, so they won on me. I can't tell you whether the rebates work :(:(:(
There was at least one SNAFU worth mentioning:
When I signed up, I purchased a TMobile Sidekick which requires its own service at $20/month. I also ordered a Samsung R225 (free). The web site total declared that I was going to get the Sidekick service for both phones even though the Samsung can't possibly use it. I called them up and they said it's an error in their website's script and that I would be billed properly.
Sure enough, my receipt came from LetsTalk and it showed the correct numbers.
My first bill from T-Mobile came, and they billed me for the service on the Samsung even though it is impossible.
It has been 4 months and I have been unable to get this resolved through T-Mobile's positively horrendous customer service, along with a few other issues that the CSRs are too stupid to handle. One of them even threatened me. I have a police report to prove it.

Grey

Platinum Member
Oct 14, 1999
I have used them twice and was satisfied both times. When you think about it, can they really do worse then that part timer at the mall?

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Ouch, I'll stay away from T-Mobile in the future for sure then. I don't need to deal with filing police reports because some dumbass customer service rep threatened my life.