Question Anyone ever use a laser cutter or CNC to add ventilation to a tempered glass panel?

Raswan

Jan 29, 2010
I have an InWin 902 plus with a smoked tempered glass side panel. Beautiful case, but airflow is pretty terrible. Would love to bring it somewhere and have them do a nice design that adds some passive airflow.

Alternatively, anyone know of an outfit that will custom-cut and ship out a tempered glass smoked side panel for a case for a reasonable amount of money (14 inches by 20 inches-ish): say less than $75?

Thanks

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I know there are places that will cut glass. But ventilated glass is going to be very fragile. You would be better off looking at polycarbonate or similar. Higher quality stuff is decently scratch resistant, and it won't care about holes or slots cut into it.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Im pretty sure you can not drill into a temper glass panel.

You need to heat the glass up to a very high temperature, and then anneal it before you can attempt to cut it, as any cracks will cause the entire panel to shatter.

If you absolutely need the holes, i second Stuka's advice and would recommend either Lexan or a different form of Poly Carbonate.

Also unless done professionally with a waterjet or some super expensive glass bit of some sort, drilling into glass always leaves one side with lots of imperfections. This is why we always cover the edges up with a rubber oring washer when we do it on fish tanks without professional tools.

I have drilled into a lot of glass fish tanks, so i know first hand, its not something i would ever attempt on a thick piece of glass, or temper glass itself.

Reactions: AnitaPeterson

Raswan

Jan 29, 2010
I know there are places that will cut glass. But ventilated glass is going to be very fragile. You would be better off looking at polycarbonate or similar. Higher quality stuff is decently scratch resistant, and it won't care about holes or slots cut into it.

Both good ideas for alternatives. Guess I never thought about the fragility of the glass with voids scattered throughout - I'm assuming this is what you're saying?

Raswan

Jan 29, 2010
Im pretty sure you can not drill into a temper glass panel.

You need to heat the glass up to a very high temperature, and then anneal it before you can attempt to cut it, as any cracks will cause the entire panel to shatter.

If you absolutely need the holes, i second Stuka's advice and would recommend either Lexan or a different form of Poly Carbonate.

Also unless done professionally with a waterjet or some super expensive glass bit of some sort, drilling into glass always leaves one side with lots of imperfections. This is why we always cover the edges up with a rubber oring washer when we do it on fish tanks without professional tools.

I have drilled into a lot of glass fish tanks, so i know first hand, its not something i would ever attempt on a thick piece of glass, or temper glass itself.

Thanks for the feedback - I hadn't thought about the imperfections on the one side either. Sounds like the other materials are the route to go - unless you know of an outfit that would custom fab a new side panel to specific dimensions in smoked, tempered glass? Looks like there are a few out there, but if you've one you know I would love to check it out.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Im sure you can get one done at a glass window store on a non temper glass.
But i don't think you will like the price they quote you for it.

I would go with the lexan and plexiglass bit route.
The only issues i have with lexan is it tends to scratch easily, but you can buff out lexan.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I'm wondering what you hope to gain with passive vent holes on the sides. Wouldn't it help a lot more to add them to the bottom of the front bezel or better still, mount a fan there?

Regardless I agree with others, the way to go is get a smoked polycarbate sheet which can easily be machined (at low speed to keep heat down), and if you don't mind the bother, the holes can be polished out to be transparent... probably easiest using a rotary tool with a very fine sanding drum on very low speed, then rotary tool with a short cotton swap and plastic polish on it. I'd test this on a scrap piece first.