Anyone ever remove their own stitches?

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
I've had these stitches on my head for a week now and they need to come out.

I'm going tomorrow to the hospital to have them do it, but the wait is going to be 4-5 hours. Should I just do it myself?

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
i did it, but it was only 3 non-disovable stitches, however about a day after i removed them, i tried to play tennis, now these stitches were on my index finger knuckle (workers comp) and well when you try to backhand a ball in tennis, a lot of tension is put on your index finger, after about 4 of them, it ripped back open. but overall turned out fine.

MIKE

drum

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003
it wasn't a big deal for ones near my mouth. much easier that the wait at the hospital for sure

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
Will I feel anything? Will they easily come out if I pull them out with a tweezer?

It's annoying the hell out of me.

Gurck

Banned
Mar 16, 2004
Didn't hurt, I had 'em on my elbow for a bit of road rash (was doing ~25 on my mtb when the chain snapped).

Rogue

Banned
Jan 28, 2000
Yep. I sterilized a pair of small clippers with a lighter and then some rubbing alcohol, clipped them and grabbed the knotted side of it and pulled it out slowly with tweezers. Feels weird, but doesn't really hurt. Recommend some Neosporin with a bandage on it if possible for a day or two to get it sealed up good and prevent infection.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
I've done that several times. When the opening around the stiches starts getting a bit red or puffy and itches, they need to come out.