Anyone ever purchased a stereo receiver from an unauthorized seller?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HomerJS, Jan 12, 2007.

1. HomerJS

HomerJS Lifer

I'm considering a Denon or Yamaha which goes for $1000-1099 at authorized sellers. If I purchase from an unauthorized seller I can save $300-350. Only drawback I can see is Denon will not honor the warranty if it breaks.

Standard Denon warranty is 2 years. Some of the unauthorized sellers will warrant it for from 30 days to 1 year.

Anyone ever bought from an unauthorized seller? How did it work out?

One of the models I'm looking at...
    Denon

2. MercenaryForHire

Whitevan.jpg

:p

- M4H

3. AgaBoogaBoo

AgaBoogaBoo Lifer

Talk to the stores and offer a lower price, worst is you'll get a no.

Also, see if any other are having issues with it - chances are that it will either come with an issue right away, or not have any issue at all for a few years, in which case it would be out of the 2 year range anyway. I personally haven't ever had a receiver with an issue in the first year or two. If it's guaranteed to not be DOA, then you might be safe enough. Always pay with a CC obviously and if you have it, use American Express.

4. Unheard

Unheard Diamond Member

:) I lawled.

5. AgaBoogaBoo

AgaBoogaBoo Lifer

I should probably elaborate on how to talk to a store - there are a few points you should keep in your mind before you talk to them:

1. Are there others in the area selling the same product? What price do they have it listed for? Any sales going on? If yes to any, that's great, you can now let them compete and not be able to say things against unauthorized sellers.

2. Find competing products from other brands - maybe Onkyo? Yamaha? Would any of these actually be fine for you instead of that specific Denon model? If you have some flexibility, point out that you want one of three 2/3/4 receivers and that you have compiled prices from various stores in the area. Tell them that if you don't get a good price on it, you'll buy the _____________ model receiver from _________ store.

3. Look up some information on when the receiver was launched and when the next ones are coming out - will they be wanting to clear this one out within the next few months? If so, definite point to make.

4. Other than these things, you need to keep in mind you don't want to be an ass, say some nice things regarding why you want to buy from them. (customer support, location, friendly salesmen, etc.)

5. Avoid the expensive cables at all costs ;)

6. thirdeye

thirdeye Platinum Member

I purchased all my car audio on eBay. It was close to 1/2 for each thing I got compared to retail, so I figured even if they did die prematurely, I could get another and still not be too bad off. It was all NIB stuff too.

7. Captante

Captante Lifer

I've purchased a $200 Onkyo from an unauthorized seller ... I wouldn't buy a $1000+ model myself though.

8. spidey07

spidey07 No Lifer

I did. ONCE!

Worst purchase ever. Turned out it was a refurb/reparied model and it never did work right. I was told up and down it was new. If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

9. cyclistca

cyclistca Platinum Member

I wouldn't buy it but it's your money.

Check http://www.avsforum.com/ to see if their are any threads on the seller. I've read some horror stories about none authorized dealers.

Remember that warrants are only as good as the people backing them up.

10. HomerJS

HomerJS Lifer

Thanks. I'm going shopping this weekend in Delaware. Tax free state. I want to hear how these receivers sound with Klipsch speakers.