Anyone ever play against e-celebs / noteable pro gamers?

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
3,899
0
76
Currently I'm a WoW addict and only occasionally fire up UT2K4 for a quick FPS fix. But back in the day I was hardcore into Quake and Quake2. I was in a clan and we did OK on one of the CTF ladders whose name I can't recall.

That said, has anyone played against some of the e-celebs or noteable pros out there? LAN or regular old Internet? I never got into CS, so I've got to claim ignorance on who's who in that game, but back in the day I'm pretty sure I played against the real Thresh (Dennis Fong) in Quake 1. Of course anyone can log in with that name on public servers, but this guy that would play on a bay-area based public server named Thresh would come in and just destroy everyone. In addition to godlike aim, the remarkable thing about him was he'd almost never die.

Who knows if it was him or not, but it's kinda cool to think about.

I was never good enough for competitive LAN, but considering the amount of people on the AT forums, I'm sure some of you have had some run-ins with the gaming gods. Or maybe you are the gaming gods? ;)

Let's hear the stories!
 

SPARTAN VI

Senior member
Oct 13, 2005
803
0
76
Not myself, but my sister is in the PMS Clan. She played Halo 2 with John aka Fatal1ty (however the crap he spells his l337 name, I don't give a damn).
 

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
12,345
791
126
Originally posted by: SPARTAN VI
Not myself, but my sister is in the PMS Clan. She played Halo 2 with John aka Fatal1ty (however the crap he spells his l337 name, I don't give a damn).

Nice, I met and talked with some of them (PMS Clan) down at Quakecon this year. Which one is your sister?
 

Randum

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2004
2,473
0
76
I talked to Fatal1ty back after that MTV thing to talk about selling and distributing his mousepad...thats about it..

as for playing with a Pro Gamer, well, my friends and family have the pleasure of playing me all the time... ;)
 

Zbox

Senior member
Aug 29, 2003
881
0
76
I played Thresh 1v1 on dm4 YEARS ago, I think he was in/around berkley at the time? He refused to play QW and demanded NQ exclusively on top of him hosting the game. Obviously I proceeded to get lit on fire for the 20'ish minutes the match lasted (the 100-120ms gap in ping + awesome nq code made it even more exciting). Still I learned how amazing dm4 was once you really understood the map.

For a few years I spent a lot of time playing with DR/I9 members, mostly with TK, hijinks (4th place at the red annihilation tourny that thresh won the ferrari at), and Reptile. I've been to quite a few small LANs that Hijinks was also at (mutual friend) between maybe 96-00. That guy was scary good at every game he played (especially for being an old dude!).

Fatal1ty is interesting... The guy was never anything special in q1/q2, but he just went crazy when q3a hit and onward.

Recalling this junk really makes me miss the qwca days!
 

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
6,278
6
81
I dont know if this counts but I was top 30 in the UK on C&C Renegade the first month it was released. 56k modem, pings of 100-250ms constantly and I just battled on through.

Funniest thing was running into a base with a non-stealth character and getting so far in, blowing up a building before the game had really got any motion to it. Nobbling someones refinery or power plant to sever their money ties was just cruelty.
 
Jun 14, 2003
10,442
0
0
dont think i have ever played anyone who is famous for gaming

though i do recall me and my friends making a little name for ourselves on command and conquer generals. we used to do 3 vs 3's ... we'd be one of each team (US, china, GLA) and we were pretty much un beatable. we did grow bord of it after a while tho an just never bothered playing that game again
 

Skacer

Banned
Jun 4, 2007
727
0
0
I played Quake very early on. One of the original servers I played on was Icescream. Tokay used to play on it a ton (American Mcgee). Every once in awhile we'd see John Cash. John Cash once invited us to play on a private Id Software server, where we spent the entire time asking him about Quake 2. Kornelia and a few other names I'm forgetting also played on Icescream.
 
Oct 9, 1999
19,636
36
91
Originally posted by: Golgatha
Originally posted by: SPARTAN VI
Not myself, but my sister is in the PMS Clan. She played Halo 2 with John aka Fatal1ty (however the crap he spells his l337 name, I don't give a damn).

Nice, I met and talked with some of them (PMS Clan) down at Quakecon this year. Which one is your sister?

I was at qcon this year too. I even posted about it in ATOT. Shame I didn't meet you. See ya next year maybe?

My tag is eog(eyeofgod).



Back to the OP, I played fatal1ty back in 04 at qcon. I had like -2 or so. He's good and a nice guy imo. Everyone bashes him because he's making it big doing what any gamer dreams of. Props to the guy for milking it for all it's worth.
 

imported_sushicide

Senior member
Jun 20, 2005
228
0
0
Met someone on an Action Quake2 server and got him to teach me how to use the railgun, turned out he was an OGL Rocket Arena 2 champion and 3 time finalist, don't remember his name though, it was at least 8 years ago.
 

tHa ShIzNiT

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2000
2,321
8
81
Well we have some WoW addicts here so I'll add mine. If anyone has heard of Otherguy, he is/was widely considered the best mage in the game (back when mages used to be a good class, they owned everyone). He was in my guild Chaotic on Illidan server, then we changed our guild name to Black Sky. We used to get people from all over the world, and especially Korea, on our guild's forum asking all types of questions about him.

In addition I used to play Quake with sCary (Steve Gibson) from www.shugashack.com . He was one of the "LPBs" on the server I used to play on, which was hosted by my ISP (InReach). We used to get really pissed at the LPBs because they obviously were not using the dial-up our ISP provided and they came into our server and pwnt us. However, I was considered the best HPW (high ping whiner) on the server. Those were the good old days, I often wish I could go back and relive those days...I seriously had prowess on that server, I had followers damn it. People liked me!
 

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
7,671
1
0
I don't think I've ever played any "famous" gamers. I'm an FPS player at heart though (been playing since I was like...8), and I can kick ass in any Quake 4 server I enter. But sometimes there's a guy who's an equal match. I remember one guy called "Doom Marine." We were neck and neck, above all the other players. It was a pretty cool playing session.
 

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
3,899
0
76
Originally posted by: Zbox
I played Thresh 1v1 on dm4 YEARS ago, I think he was in/around berkley at the time? He refused to play QW and demanded NQ exclusively on top of him hosting the game. Obviously I proceeded to get lit on fire for the 20'ish minutes the match lasted (the 100-120ms gap in ping + awesome nq code made it even more exciting). Still I learned how amazing dm4 was once you really understood the map.

For a few years I spent a lot of time playing with DR/I9 members, mostly with TK, hijinks (4th place at the red annihilation tourny that thresh won the ferrari at), and Reptile. I've been to quite a few small LANs that Hijinks was also at (mutual friend) between maybe 96-00. That guy was scary good at every game he played (especially for being an old dude!).

Fatal1ty is interesting... The guy was never anything special in q1/q2, but he just went crazy when q3a hit and onward.

Recalling this junk really makes me miss the qwca days!

Totally bringing back memories. DM4 is an AWESOME map. I really really miss the original Quake. I may fire it up if I can find my cd.

And hijinks, that guy was nuts. Insanely good player. If it's the same hijinks, we actually used to FFA with him all the time. He showed us noobs all the tricks with fov and stuff before most people had any idea how or what to change in your config.
 

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
3,899
0
76
Originally posted by: tHa ShIzNiT
Well we have some WoW addicts here so I'll add mine. If anyone has heard of Otherguy, he is/was widely considered the best mage in the game (back when mages used to be a good class, they owned everyone). He was in my guild Chaotic on Illidan server, then we changed our guild name to Black Sky. We used to get people from all over the world, and especially Korea, on our guild's forum asking all types of questions about him.

In addition I used to play Quake with sCary (Steve Gibson) from www.shugashack.com . He was one of the "LPBs" on the server I used to play on, which was hosted by my ISP (InReach). We used to get really pissed at the LPBs because they obviously were not using the dial-up our ISP provided and they came into our server and pwnt us. However, I was considered the best HPW (high ping whiner) on the server. Those were the good old days, I often wish I could go back and relive those days...I seriously had prowess on that server, I had followers damn it. People liked me!

I BG with Otherguy on occasion. I'm in his battlegroup. He's extremely good. I don't think I've seen a mage better at defense. I simply don't see how he's able to stay alive in regular old PuG v. PuG BG's. And his early videos were freaking crazy good.
 

tHa ShIzNiT

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2000
2,321
8
81
Nobody ever will anymore, but if you look at his older videos I was in a lot of them. We used to pvp back when there was no point to it. We put Sorrow Hill on the map. That place is the #1 place for allies 50-60 to level, but we basically took it completely out of the picture for them on Illidan. The game used to be a lot simpler, and IMO more fun. I still play WoW constantly, but it will never be where it used to be for me, there's too much going on now, and nothing ever happens "for the fun of it" anymore.

Edit: Here's another fun fact...our guild originally rolled on Archimonde, and Otherguy and myself were two of the highest level characters on the server, he was probably the highest, I think he was level 39. But anyways, I doubt anyone would remember this but there were a few servers, Archimonde being one of them, that just got completely hosed during the first week after WoW was released. It got so bad that they put up a message saying that these servers would be down for X days (I think it was 5 days), so my guild just picked up and all went to Illidan server and didn't look back. We got there and people were already level 40. Long story short, Otherguy was the 6th or 7th person to hit 60 on the server. That is insane.
 

Zahriya

Member
Oct 20, 2004
178
0
0
Originally posted by: otispunkmeyer
dont think i have ever played anyone who is famous for gaming

though i do recall me and my friends making a little name for ourselves on command and conquer generals. we used to do 3 vs 3's ... we'd be one of each team (US, china, GLA) and we were pretty much un beatable. we did grow bord of it after a while tho an just never bothered playing that game again

Otis, was one of your friends' name "BurpMann"?
 

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
3,197
0
0
I Shadowcat'ed the Mechwarrior 3 tournament winner in his Thor once, can't recall his name. But he completely owned us aside from that one brief moment.
 

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
3,899
0
76
Originally posted by: tHa ShIzNiT
Nobody ever will anymore, but if you look at his older videos I was in a lot of them. We used to pvp back when there was no point to it. We put Sorrow Hill on the map. That place is the #1 place for allies 50-60 to level, but we basically took it completely out of the picture for them on Illidan. The game used to be a lot simpler, and IMO more fun. I still play WoW constantly, but it will never be where it used to be for me, there's too much going on now, and nothing ever happens "for the fun of it" anymore.

Edit: Here's another fun fact...our guild originally rolled on Archimonde, and Otherguy and myself were two of the highest level characters on the server, he was probably the highest, I think he was level 39. But anyways, I doubt anyone would remember this but there were a few servers, Archimonde being one of them, that just got completely hosed during the first week after WoW was released. It got so bad that they put up a message saying that these servers would be down for X days (I think it was 5 days), so my guild just picked up and all went to Illidan server and didn't look back. We got there and people were already level 40. Long story short, Otherguy was the 6th or 7th person to hit 60 on the server. That is insane.

I do remember that because I started on Archimonde then rerolled on Destromath when it looked like it was down for the count. ;)
 

Zbox

Senior member
Aug 29, 2003
881
0
76
destro horde? o_O

I transferred my rogue there from Stormreaver about a month ago, but my playtime died off after my buddies that were supposed to transfer decided to quit instead...
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY