Anyone ever have "student elbow"? How to get rid of it.

SaltyNuts

Platinum Member
May 1, 2001
I life a lot of weights. And I'm STRONG. I'm talking bench pressing refrigerators and squatting small cars strong. So I go HEAVY.

For years now I have what I think is called "student elbow". When I put my left elbow down on a table it hurts like hell. I've stopped all direct tricep work, just getting the tricep work I get through doing chest exercises.

But it still hurts like hell after months.

How to fix this? Having researched it a little, it looks like something in my elbow has to be drained? Is this something I can do myself?

Thanks for any advice.

Posted in the wrong forum. Moved to H&F, where it should have been posted.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
If it's your bursa, you'd notice because it'd be swollen up like a mofo. I had it happen once from just resting my elbow on my car door for a long roadtrip - stupid stuff can cause it. I had mine drained and it hasn't come back since, but it's more likely to come back especially if you work it hard.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I don't really know what student elbow is, so sorry if not helpful. I had slight elbow pain years ago when doing certain movements. That got to be worse over time. Such as L raises, where you stand up and raise dumbbells from your legs to a T or cross shape of your body. Same thing when raising them in front of me. Like the poster above me, it also hurt when I had my arm straight our the window, or sleeping and it hanging over the bed. I was told by a buddy to bend over a little at the back, and bend my elbow some. Keeping it exactly straight was not good for it, too much strain on the elbow. Sure enough, started doing that and it stopped. Perhaps different mechanics could help you.

edit, I see this is a bit older topic. It was up top for some reason, sorry for the bump.