Anyone ever have an EMG done?

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Well, I've been experiencing severe muscle weakness for about a week now, mainly in my legs, but its gone to my arms too.... almost to where I am really stiff in the morning.

My neurologist has elected to do an EMG. Anyone here ever have one done? Are they painful?

eplebnista

Lifer
Dec 3, 2001
Anyone ever have an EMG done?

No, but I would have probaly have had to have one if my myelogram had not shown what was causing my weakness and burning I experienced in my left arm(herniated discs in my neck, discovered with an MRI, were pushing against the arm's nerves).

TripleAAA

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2002
I've had an EKG done before and I thought an EMG was the same thing but apparently I'm wrong.

Manuwell

Jan 19, 2006
Before the Procedure:
Your physician will explain the procedure to you and offer you the opportunity to ask any questions that you might have about the procedure.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I've assisted with a few. I'm sorry to say it may be a bit painful if they do an intramuscular EMG. It involves stickling large needles into major muscles, then using them as electrodes to measure electrical activity. Intramuscular is the most common, but they do perform surface EMG's in certain circumstances (which just involved electrodes taped to the skin).

This is just a suggestion as I don't know anything about your condition, but have you tried chugging Gatorade and bananas for a couple of days? Low electrolyte and potassium levels can cause a lot of the symptoms you're describing, and this would be an easy fix.

Megadeth

Jun 14, 2004
I'm having one done on Monday myself.... I've never had an EMG done before so I'm a bit nervous also

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
I had a EMG done when I first hurt my back like 4 years ago. Its not as bad as you read. The funky part really is when they power up the needles with and make your muscles jump around. That part really sucked.
You want pain though get yourself a spinal injection ;) They tried that on me to lessen the pain in my back and to find out I was imune(sp Im to tired) to the numming meds they inject while they slowly shove the needle into your lower back injecting with one needle and pushing the other one closer to go into your spine. The had to stop the process on me half way through because of the pain and for some reason didnt want me to have a stoke because my BP shot up to 200/145. And in all honesty that pain they put me through and not being able to numb the are whle they were shoving the needle through my back muscle into my spine ATM was worse pain them my actual back injury was giving me.

But back to the EMG dont sweat it. You will do fine and report back if your musles were jumping all over when they juiced them up, going to be wierd with your leg musle flopping all over and you aint doing it :D