Anyone ever had this happen in alpha centauri?

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Anyone here even play alpha centauri? Ive never heard it being mentioned here.

Anyways i was playing as the consciousness and fighting a war against the university and the gains, who were also fighting with eachother. Suddenly when the turn ended the ENTIRE gain faction dissapeared off the map (which left about 1/3 of the map barren), bases, units, everything. The only thing that was left was the terrain enhancements they made, there were a few gain colony pods and a scout patrol on an island, as if their faction had been retarted or freed from captivity from an enemy capitol.

Very strange. I loaded up an autosave a few turns before that and they never dissapeared, i thought it mightve been a crazy new buggy university weapon or something.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Anyone here even play alpha centauri?
Yes, my 2nd favorite "Sid Meier" game... favorite being Civilization 2... strangely enough both were designed by Brian Reynolds and not Sid Meier.

i thought it mightve been a crazy new buggy university weapon or something
Did the landmass itself fall into the sea?

Sounds like a glitch to me.

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
A handful of planet busters could wipe out a civ, although I think you're notified via the UN when they are used (atrocity and all that jazz), and they leave awfully big holes in the landmasses.

I'm not sure if AC had it, but many other SM titles had Civ respawning, where once eradicated they can respawn with a handful of units for a fresh start. The last part of what you describe suggests this, although, again you are notified when a faction is defeated.

Oct 30, 2004

Sounds like a nasty game bug. I've played that game several times and never seen anything like what you described.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
No planet busters were used, the land was fully intact, i didn't do anything, the university didnt do anything, none of the other factions were in a position to do anything, so yeah i think its a bug too, it happened either just after or just before the storyline text appeared about your favorite assistant being asked to control mind worms. I think the gains disappeared before that though and i just didn't notice it.

I made a save of it called "Aki zeta 5 of the consciousness GAINS DISSAPEARED?!" but the save has disappeared as well so i cant take a screenshot. Damn.

They did respawn though like mundane mentioned, alpha centauri does have that, they respawned on a small island near me, couple of colony pods and a gatling infantry or something. But every single gaian unit and base in existence disappeared for no apparent reason.

It does sound like a nasty bug (fortunately very rare it seems). I was doing a lot of reloading saves, trying to set free the drones faction who were eradicated by the university, that may have had something to do with it, not sure.