Anyone ever give Layne Norton's power/hypertrophy split a try?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by TheVrolok, Aug 21, 2010.

1. TheVrolok

TheVrolok Lifer

I only ask because I'm getting bored with my routine and looking for something fun to try. I've been through a bunch of 5x5's, Wendler's 531, some Westside routines, etc. etc. and looking for something new. Probably toning back the powerlifting and moving a bit more toward the bodybuilding spectrum these days.

2. SociallyChallenged

What are your 1RMs for your lifts? How about your stats (age, height, weight)? If you're not an intermediate, doing an intermediate program will actually slow your gains down.

3. TheVrolok

TheVrolok Lifer

25 - 6'3" - 255. Haven't been in the gym for saaayy.. a year? (up until say.. 6 weeks ago when I hit it hard again). Current 1RMs are 305 Bench / 445 Squat / 495 dead. So the 1RMs are a bit shy of where they used to be when I was lighter (ie less fat) and less than I'd want them to be at this point - I'd like to keep above 330/500/530 while under 230 lbs, but it's really becoming less and less of a goal. Honestly, I'm thinking about sliding from the powerlifting side of the spectrum to the bodybuilding side .. thought Layne's routine might be an interesting way to do it.

4. KoolDrew

KoolDrew Lifer

I do like the idea behind the split. Kind of gives you the best of both worlds between high and low reps, as well as finding a good balance between hitting everything with enough frequency, but still allowing you to concentrate on a specific muscle group one workout out of the week, and it can easily be changed to work on your weak points as well. I've even thought about doing something similar in the past. However, I'm not really convinced it would work any better than an upper/lower split with a couple compound movements in the 5-8 rep range followed by higher rep work, but it's definitely can work well IF volume is kept under control.

If you do plan on following Laynes split I would NOT follow the routine exactly as he does. From what I've seen the volume is quite high. It obviously works well for him, but he's a freak and has worked up to that kind of volume. I would probably cut the volume in half AND leave about 2 reps in the tank on hypertrophy days.

EDIT - I just realized your weight and your goal being fat loss. Recovery is not going to be great on a cut, and volume would have to be lowered even more because of it. You're not going to gain muscle mass on a cut anyway, so I would actually suggest a full body routine 2-3x a week or an upper/lower split with only enough volume to at least maintain your lifts.

#4 KoolDrew, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  5. TheVrolok

TheVrolok Lifer

That's my hesitation as well. The routine I've been doing for the past few weeks is a routine I had written up quickly a few years ago and is basically what you said - upper/lower split with the basic compounds per day and then "hypertrophy" work afterward. I'm not sold on the idea of 2 dedicated power days and 3 dedicated hypertrophy days vs my old routine. Also, Layne's workout doesn't include straight up barbell deads .. which I refuse to cut from my routine.

I again agree completely. I wouldn't want to do that much volume (hypertrophy days) just yet, especially after only hitting the gym again for 6 weeksish. Obviously it does work for Layne, but I'm not sure if that means anything for the rest of us non-freak-monsters. I might try a modified version for a month or two just for giggles, then end up back on my upper/lower split.

Thanks for the response, glad to see my thoughts are on page with some others.

Hmm.. maybe I'll stick to my current upper/lower split till I finish this cut then, and pick up Layne's when my next bulk comes around. Food for thought.

#5 TheVrolok, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  6. KoolDrew

KoolDrew Lifer

This is an issue for me as well. I personally prefer having two lower body days, one dedicated to heavy squats and the other heavy deadlifts. I guess you could alternate between the two, which can definitely work for deadlifts, but squats tend to respond better with higher frequency.

7. TheVrolok

TheVrolok Lifer

Some of my best strength progression was when I was doing 5x5's squatting 3 days a week and just doing some accessory stuff.