Anyone ever get an email stating this? Craigslist acct. hijacked

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Legit? I'm a skeptic so I think it's a scam, but am wondering if anyone else got a similar email.

Dear XXXX,

We are very sorry to inform that your craigslist account was hijacked on the 3th of July 2010, In order to reinstate your account you need to provide a valid, working phone number that wasn`t used on craigslist before. The phone number with which your account was verified is blacklisted due the hijacking. To help enforce our terms of use and to stop fraud accounts, craigslist requires an account, verified by phone,the terms of use, violations will be subject to account suspension and blacklisting of the phone number used to verify the account.

Click here to activate your craigslist account.

*I removed the link, but this is it if anyone dare click it:
http://accounts.craiglist-phone-verification.org.verify-8534.23q3w.com/login/

After confirming your phone number, you will receive an automated SMS and an authorization code. You will have to type the authorization code and your account will be verified.

Oct 27, 2007
Domain is accounts.craiglist-phone-verification.org.verify-8534.23q3w.com

So obviously a scam it's ridiculous. I hope it works, some people just deserve to be scammed for being so stupid.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Well thank you Thing Two and Thing One. I figured it was a scam. Was wondering if I was the lucky first person to receive this email.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
Even if it had a chance to be true, it isn't worth risking clicking that link / linking your phone number. CL has no important information that you must recover in order to use the service as opposed to say eBay or Paypal. So IF it were somehow true that it was hacked, then no big deal, just create a new account on CL.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Even if it had a chance to be true, it isn't worth risking clicking that link / linking your phone number. CL has no important information that you must recover in order to use the service as opposed to say eBay or Paypal. So IF it were somehow true that it was hacked, then no big deal, just create a new account on CL.
Yeh, agreed. I don't give out info willy nilly to anyone. ;)

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
What's the goal? A phone number doesn't seem too useful, unless the real scam comes later.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
One like this got me a couple of months ago. Mozilla caught it as a web forgery.

phish.jpg

Oct 20, 2005
After reading the atrocious grammar in the email, how could you even have the slightest doubt that it wasn't a scam. Not to mention that link to another domain site.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
After reading their email again, one possibility they were trying to pull is the call your phone number 15 times a day and hope you pick up, then keep you on long as possible to rack up fees.

A few weeks ago somebody from PR kept calling me, 10 times a day for 5 days, and it was quite annoying.

Oct 20, 2005
After reading their email again, one possibility they were trying to pull is the call your phone number 15 times a day and hope you pick up, then keep you on long as possible to rack up fees.

A few weeks ago somebody from PR kept calling me, 10 times a day for 5 days, and it was quite annoying.

How can you be charged a fee for answering a call?