Anyone ever been sued?

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
It's kind of depressing. Someone claims to have been hurt on our property 3 years ago. They waited 3 years until the statute of limitations was almost up to file, we had no idea the person even claiming to be hurt until now. Our homeowners insurance has assigned a law firm to defend us, but it still sucks. It seems like a money grab. Ugh.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
It's kind of depressing. Someone claims to have been hurt on our property 3 years ago. They waited 3 years until the statute of limitations was almost up to file, we had no idea the person even claiming to be hurt until now. Our homeowners insurance has assigned a law firm to defend us, but it still sucks. It seems like a money grab. Ugh.

Don't stress too much about it. The insurance company are defending themselves as they will be the ones paying out. Insurance is funny. My buddy is a litigation attorney and once represented a halfwit that fell and broke her arm at her BF's house. They sued the home owners insurance for medical care and the BF who was fully dim-witted lost his mind thinking she was suing him personally.

imported_six

Jul 25, 2008
I once fell at a mall and was taken to the hospital. A year later, my medical insurance sent me a letter "can you write to us what happened so we can get reimbursement from the mall's insurance." I thought to myself "I fell through no fault of the mall, I have insurance, you're my insurance, I paid the deductible, now you pay for it." I just trashed the letter.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I assume this is someone you know? If so, what a cockbite.

I don't know them personally, although the person is a client of my wife at her animal hospital. Interestingly the person came in a few months ago, and my wife said she seemed fine, despite claiming that she has been through hell the past three years from the transcript of the suit that was filed.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I once fell at a mall and was taken to the hospital. A year later, my medical insurance sent me a letter "can you write to us what happened so we can get reimbursement from the mall's insurance." I thought to myself "I fell through no fault of the mall, I have insurance, you're my insurance, I paid the deductible, now you pay for it." I just trashed the letter.

I am the same, if the accident was on me, I would take care of it myself. If there was true negligence though and I was badly hurt, I would go after them then. I slipped at my neighbors house on ice by their door and opened up a gash on my head. But we're in Wisconsin and you have to expect to know how to walk on snow and ice. They did make me a loaf of banana bread for it lol.

Dec 10, 2005
Don't stress too much about it. The insurance company are defending themselves as they will be the ones paying out. Insurance is funny. My buddy is a litigation attorney and once represented a halfwit that fell and broke her arm at her BF's house. They sued the home owners insurance for medical care and the BF who was fully dim-witted lost his mind thinking she was suing him personally.
In some states, suing is the only way to recoup costs and lost wages from someone's insurance company, like the case of the Connecticut woman suing her nephew over a broken wrist.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Thankfully not, but owning 40 acres now, it is something that worries me a bit. If someone gets attacked by a bear or trips on a branch or gets stung by wasps etc on my property they could technically sue me. As far as the law is concerned it's my responsibility to make sure that every square inch of my 40 acre property is 100% safe for trespassers, thieves, etc. The law is dumb when it comes to that. Trespassers, thieves and bad guys in general tend to have more rights than property owners. I'm far enough out that my odds of having issues like that are very slim though. Probably have a higher chance of it happening at my house in town. Someone can trip on the lawn and sue, technically.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
The situation of the OP is that some third individual is making a claim for negligence(that's usually what these torts are about).

The are a few ways a person can be on a property. Often, the matter of consent matters a lot. The only thing a trespasser is owed is the bare minimum no hazards are present.
Thankfully not, but owning 40 acres now, it is something that worries me a bit. If someone gets attacked by a bear or trips on a branch or gets stung by wasps etc on my property they could technically sue me. As far as the law is concerned it's my responsibility to make sure that every square inch of my 40 acre property is 100% safe for trespassers, thieves, etc. The law is dumb when it comes to that. Trespassers, thieves and bad guys in general tend to have more rights than property owners. I'm far enough out that my odds of having issues like that are very slim though. Probably have a higher chance of it happening at my house in town. Someone can trip on the lawn and sue, technically.

Given your land is literally out in the wild, I doubt they'll burden you heavily with duty of care with regards to landscape maintenance. Plus, this duty of care is a civil matter, meaning the invader has to reveal himself.