Anyone elses power supply on XBOX 360 S loud/hum?

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by ViviTheMage, Dec 8, 2010.

1. ViviTheMage

ViviTheMage Lifer

The second I turn my 360 S on, it's silent, except for the power supply, it makes a rather annoying fan hum.

I have 2 xbox 360 S's ... one 250GB halo reach edition, and a black 4GB edition. They both do it.

I read places where they cannot hear it, it's silent, and others where it's loud, if not louder then mine.

The PSU's sit in open air, nothing next to them.

Am I crazy?

EDIT :

It sounds just like this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKA2P8q5xE0

#1 ViviTheMage, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - elses power supply Forum Date
    Got a PS3 with a power cord only, what else should I get? Console Gaming Mar 4, 2015
    Guilty Gear Xrd - anyone else getting this? Console Gaming Dec 10, 2014
    Anyone else affected by DDoS attack on Xbox servers? Console Gaming Dec 2, 2014
    nothing else quite like hagane for the super nes Console Gaming Oct 14, 2014
    Is xbox live down for anyone else? Console Gaming Sep 14, 2014

3. raasco

raasco Platinum Member

The PSU for my 360S is about the same as yours. I'm just disappointed at how loud my console is when it's reading a disc. It's at least twice as loud as my PS3.

4. ViviTheMage

ViviTheMage Lifer

5. RavenSEAL

RavenSEAL Diamond Member

Microsoft calls it manufacturing error, the internet calls it the black power supply of death, again, M$ proves they can't build a quality product without something going wrong.

6. ViviTheMage

ViviTheMage Lifer

shame too, the rest of the 360 is near silent ... even after hours of gaming, or TV!

7. magomago

magomago Lifer

imo it just shows that you can push defective products in the marketplace without repercussions.

on a serious note, it shows that microsoft manufacturing QA sucks, the rest could still be good.

although to be honest, the brick is guaranteed to be outsourced from china. it is most likely a manufacturing problem there, and microsoft is shitting bricks thinking, "dammit, and this time it isn't a design error on our part".

Although, i'd contend that they should still be sampling batches and testing them - you don't blindly trust your supplier...and i sure as hell wouldn't blindly trust - based on my own experience - any supplier, let alone a supplier in china that you contracted because they can do things on the cheap.

Although, I'm sure they are sampling batches(they have to be)....and this noise issue is probably either (a) something that is not tested for in their current protocols -or- (b) meets the spec that was set despite being really annoying.
    Either way I foresee revving of their protocols, documentation, and testing.

Shit happens, but honestly, with the resources that microsoft has and the volume that they push with the xbox, you'd think that they'd have come across this power brick issue thing internally months before (that link shows it dating back to summer....)

8. ViviTheMage

ViviTheMage Lifer

Yeah, i've read there is 3 types of bricks ... :s

9. magomago

magomago Lifer

Hey atleeast the fix this time is a simple external brick lol

10. ViviTheMage

ViviTheMage Lifer

agreed, now who the hell do I contact to get a good one from MS.

11. fatpat268

fatpat268 Diamond Member

I haven't noticed any humming, but my power brick is behind a wood partition on my tv stand, so that probably helps.

12. ViviTheMage

ViviTheMage Lifer

Even if mine was behind something, you'd be able to hear this bad boy.

13. Gibson486

Gibson486 Lifer

Cripes, who does MS quality control?

14. Drako

Drako Lifer

I believe it's Flextronics :). You would think after the many issues with RoHS solder, MS would find a different Contract Manufacturer.

15. Xed

Xed Golden Member

My reach bundle has a silent psu. My first xbox was a falcon that rrod 2 hours out of the box and had a buzzing psu. Was damn annoying.