Anyone elses power supply on XBOX 360 S loud/hum?

ViviTheMage

Lifer
Dec 12, 2002
madgenius.com
The second I turn my 360 S on, it's silent, except for the power supply, it makes a rather annoying fan hum.

I have 2 xbox 360 S's ... one 250GB halo reach edition, and a black 4GB edition. They both do it.

I read places where they cannot hear it, it's silent, and others where it's loud, if not louder then mine.

The PSU's sit in open air, nothing next to them.

Am I crazy?

EDIT :

It sounds just like this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKA2P8q5xE0

Last edited:

raasco

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2009
The PSU for my 360S is about the same as yours. I'm just disappointed at how loud my console is when it's reading a disc. It's at least twice as loud as my PS3.

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
Microsoft calls it manufacturing error, the internet calls it the black power supply of death, again, M$ proves they can't build a quality product without something going wrong.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
imo it just shows that you can push defective products in the marketplace without repercussions.

on a serious note, it shows that microsoft manufacturing QA sucks, the rest could still be good.

although to be honest, the brick is guaranteed to be outsourced from china. it is most likely a manufacturing problem there, and microsoft is shitting bricks thinking, "dammit, and this time it isn't a design error on our part".

Although, i'd contend that they should still be sampling batches and testing them - you don't blindly trust your supplier...and i sure as hell wouldn't blindly trust - based on my own experience - any supplier, let alone a supplier in china that you contracted because they can do things on the cheap.

Although, I'm sure they are sampling batches(they have to be)....and this noise issue is probably either (a) something that is not tested for in their current protocols -or- (b) meets the spec that was set despite being really annoying.
Either way I foresee revving of their protocols, documentation, and testing.

Shit happens, but honestly, with the resources that microsoft has and the volume that they push with the xbox, you'd think that they'd have come across this power brick issue thing internally months before (that link shows it dating back to summer....)

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
I haven't noticed any humming, but my power brick is behind a wood partition on my tv stand, so that probably helps.

Xed

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2003
My reach bundle has a silent psu. My first xbox was a falcon that rrod 2 hours out of the box and had a buzzing psu. Was damn annoying.