anyone else tried Wizard 101?

oddyager

Diamond Member
May 21, 2005
I saw my niece playing it over the weekend and it got my interest so I created my own account to try it. Have to say I'm a little bit charmed with this game even though it does cater to kids (the entire world and characters in it are basically cartoons). The combat system is entirely card based which was something I was not a fan of before but now it is something I'm appreciating a little now. There is definitely some strategy involved with each fight and knowing what cards to keep ready and use. The quests are the run-o-mill kill this and deliver that but I didn't feel as though they were a grind. Leveling is definitely not hard in this game at all.

The first thing I noticed when I started the game was the utter lack of chat going on in my screen even though there were a billion wizards running around. Didn't think much of it at the time since I was solo-ing for the most part early until I was able to group with my niece. She was very excited being able to group up with someone else finally to help with her quests. Being the curious uncle I asked why she didn't attempt to group with the other players. So then I opened the chat window for the first time (it's hidden by default apparently heh) and to my horror I saw this...

"single guy looking for a girl"
"any single girls here?"
"i was dumped by my bf so i need a new bf"
"panty raid at girls dorm" <--- wth???

... and this legendary quote:

"who wants to be my gf? come to my dorm room and test"

I don't want to know what he had in mind as a test. It was a literal spam-fest of that in each of the zones I'll dub "social hubs". The game is only $10 a month ($7 if you do family accounts) and for casual play where I'm paired with one or two relative it's not bad. It's a sharp departure from the intense play of other games but I think with the time I invested in games like EQ2 and LotRO I think it's time I found a game thats very casual and light-hearted. Just have to ignore the chat.