Anyone else think valve has canned episode 3...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Wait... what? Really? HL2 was easily 12-15 hours of gameplay, which isn't too shabby at $50 (at least nowadays). Add in the fact that it was a pretty big step forward in FPS games at the time and that it had a robust moddable engine... I'd say it would be well worth $50. I completely disagree that it felt like half a game. It was all self contained and ended nicely. The episodes weren't deliberately cut out, and they were clearly additions to the story.

That said, I have full faith that Valve is making HL3 right now and that they're waiting for the perfect time to reveal it. After all, didn't Valve say they have a surprise planned before releasing Portal 2? I have a feeling that the events in Portal 2 will probably bridge any gap in between Episode 2 and HL3.

Yes, after the hints in Portal and then Episode 2's ending I have this feeling Portal 2 might have something to do with the next HL. I wouldn't say that it will be a story continuation, but perhaps something of a side story in the same time frame.

Or perhaps Gabe just got bored of HL and wants to make other stuff. They are sort of busy with Portal 2 and also I would assume they have some members working on Dota 2 which is coming out sometime this year (supposedly).

I can't see them waiting on next gen consoles. Next gen consoles are 5 years away, no sense in them waiting on that.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
You never know with Valve, they can be absolutely brilliant one day and then do something incredibly stupid the next. Usually they get it right though. ;)

Personally it would not surprise me one bit if a year from now we get nothing but a teaser trailer or screenshot (though I also do believe they are making a full fledged HL3).

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
Yes, after the hints in Portal and then Episode 2's ending I have this feeling Portal 2 might have something to do with the next HL. I wouldn't say that it will be a story continuation, but perhaps something of a side story in the same time frame.

Or perhaps Gabe just got bored of HL and wants to make other stuff. They are sort of busy with Portal 2 and also I would assume they have some members working on Dota 2 which is coming out sometime this year (supposedly).

I can't see them waiting on next gen consoles. Next gen consoles are 5 years away, no sense in them waiting on that.

dota 2?

Damn these acronyms... :colbert:

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
dota 2?

Damn these acronyms... :colbert:

Defense of the Ancients.

I was really confused when I read that Valve was working on it, because the original DotA was just a custom game type for Warcraft 3. It was extremely popular and spawned a couple of new standalone games, League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth (there might be more too, I don't really follow the genre). Now Valve is working on a standalone game of their own.

It didn't seem to make sense at first but since Blizzard never created DotA, I guess they don't own the trademark on the name.