Anyone else sick of games telling you what to do?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
fpsmapdesign.jpg

Replace "Cutscene" with "scripted/triggered event" and its pretty much spot-on...

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
Console sales went through the roof and developers went crazy pumping out games as fast as they could. Instead of concentrating on immersion they went in the opposite direction with flashy arcade style graphics complete with lots of cutscenes, balloons, and voices and didn't waste time creating options to turn the crap off. However, some relief is now in sight.

Gamers eventually got sick of all the crappy games being pumped out fast and now refuse to buy anything but the top half dozen games a year. Recently the developers of the yet to be released Deus Ex looked over websites like this for feedback on their trailers. Players complained about objects flashing in the game and the developers created an option to turn off the effect. Hopefully we'll see more of this kind of thing in near future.

Emultra

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2002
This isn't the PC golden age anymore. Most games nowadays are targeted at a different, more mainstream demographic. That is, in addition to actually being targeted at a demographic, which wasn't really done in the 90's, at least not in the same sense.

I'm glad we had a golden age. Games like DX, Thief, Baldur's Gate, X-Com etc. would never have been made by big studios today.

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
so play more sandbox games like Oblivion, Sacred, Just Cause 2 (especially) and do whatever you like.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
so play more sandbox games like Oblivion, Sacred, Just Cause 2 (especially) and do whatever you like.

Yeah but I think the OP's complaint is that mainstream games are so dumbed down they arent even playable any more.
And theres not enough open world games to make the whole scene interesting.

ES 5 is coming out in a bit, I have no idea whats going on with Fallout, and cant think of any other franchises that are strong right now.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I actually wish they did that for X3: Terran Conflict. I just started the game yesterday, and I still haven't figured out how to talk to thte first guy to accept the mission I supposedly have. Took me a long time just to figure out how to use a jump gate or dock on a station. Since I bought a digital copy, I don't have a manual to tell me the gameplay mechanics either :/

I think this new style is a way of getting people to play the game without having them read the manual first. No one wants to take something like a game (entertainment) and make it more into work (reading the manual to figure out how to play), so they are trying to integrate the learning how to play into the game.

Apr 12, 2010
I hadn't really thought too deeply about it before. Only once did it annoy me, I forget what point in what game though.

kypron77

Mar 7, 2009
Most modern shooters seem to be the worse culprits for constantly pushing you onto the predetermined path by some moron yakking away. It seems RTS's, and RPG's will at least give you a few moments to look around, but man, these shooters are pissing me off.

And almost all shooters force you to have a companion who gives you constant feedback. I won't even bother mentioning specific games, because almost EVERY shooter nowadays saddles you with someone who non-stop blabs. Where's the option to strangle your verbose companion with some piano wire, and float their body down the river? These damn companions always disrupt the flow of combat, too. They always hog all the cover, pushing you into harms way, and when you start shooting they charge into the fray in your view, blocking your shots.

It's like every new shooter is Daikatana reborn. Who talks this much during a firefight anyway? Do you think soldiers overseas are complimenting each others headshots, and saying "good job" or "booyacka" every time they shoot someone? Except for the occassional barked order, I'm sure they are fighting in an absolute tense silence, fighting for their life and completely focused on the job at hand.

The worst is when you have someone in your "head" ie comlink, telepathic link, etc, and you also have multiple companions all talking to you at once and telling you what to do. In some games they actually talk over each other, so that you can't even understand what they're saying.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Good lord, if I had someone in my head this much in real life I would perform a very hasty decapitation on myself to sever the link.

It has only taken you 9 posts in 2 years here for me to really like you. THAT up there ^^^ is really funny.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
It's because games are now for the casual crowd. :(

+1

those people and also first time players.

It would be nice to turn most of it off at times, espically if it is the same message over and over again.

Though the worst 2 that came to mind with the "hand holding" / messages was Farcry 2 (I changed the keys to be more PC natural, and the popup messages still had the old keys listed). The second was Daytona (sp?) racing game (it would disable the stearing when trying to go the wrong way, but that is what made the game fun at the arcade).

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
Since I bought a digital copy, I don't have a manual to tell me the gameplay mechanics either :/

Given most games that are retail copies have not had a manual with them worth counting for a while now, I do not see you as being as greatly disadvantaged as it would appear.

One of the reasons I stoped buying retail boxed games was the lack of a manual (cost cutting). The on-disk manual for the ones I did bother with (before giving up on it) was no better than a one page "how to install".

Games where you nearly need to buy a walk through to find the keys to do things is really a crappy game (or designed to make you buy the walk through as a extra revenue source).

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
Given most games that are retail copies have not had a manual with them worth counting for a while now, I do not see you as being as greatly disadvantaged as it would appear.
X3 actually has an 80 or so page manual, so it's one of the exceptions. I don't know about Terran Conflict though, but I assume it has something similar.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
You must gather your party before venturing forth.

ffffuuuuu.png

haha i hate that in BG2. although in PS:T you didnt need to do that - only had to have one party member to charge areas

i just finished crysis2 and it was kinda annoying. in crysis1, there was so much space between objectives, plus usually all they said was "do A,B,C" and you could go about it however you wanted.

that being said, i still enjoyed crysis2, i just wish there was more continuity with crysis1 (you're going to nuke them? really? do you not remember what that did in crysis1?)

rgallant

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2007
[i still enjoyed crysis2] ,
-it was not bad
- except for things like :for color turning adjust your TV settings or something to that effect. like don't these guys play\ do QC on the PC releases.

-it is a different way of cutting down on the illegal downloads as most won't waste their bandwidth on these ports.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
Most modern shooters seem to be the worse culprits for constantly pushing you onto the predetermined path by some moron yakking away. It seems RTS's, and RPG's will at least give you a few moments to look around, but man, these shooters are pissing me off.

And almost all shooters force you to have a companion who gives you constant feedback. I won't even bother mentioning specific games, because almost EVERY shooter nowadays saddles you with someone who non-stop blabs. Where's the option to strangle your verbose companion with some piano wire, and float their body down the river? These damn companions always disrupt the flow of combat, too. They always hog all the cover, pushing you into harms way, and when you start shooting they charge into the fray in your view, blocking your shots.

It's like every new shooter is Daikatana reborn. Who talks this much during a firefight anyway? Do you think soldiers overseas are complimenting each others headshots, and saying "good job" or "booyacka" every time they shoot someone? Except for the occassional barked order, I'm sure they are fighting in an absolute tense silence, fighting for their life and completely focused on the job at hand.

The worst is when you have someone in your "head" ie comlink, telepathic link, etc, and you also have multiple companions all talking to you at once and telling you what to do. In some games they actually talk over each other, so that you can't even understand what they're saying.

This is so fucking infuriating. I'm taking fire and desperately seeking cover only to have my waterhead partner hogging the only piece of cover nearby. Dude, you're fucking immortal!

Lorne

Feb 5, 2001
Agree.

The ones lately I have found anoying were the help pop ups on Borderlands, You have to wait till they fade off of your view or the other notes that make you wait a time before noting you can hit return to remove it, The esc key should allow you to remove them instantly.

Sulaco: You hit the nail on the head with so many cutscenes, I gave up on Dragon Age2 with in the first half hr of play because of that, It got to a point I didnt know if I was watching a movie or playing a game.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
ITT: WE'RE HARDCORE GAMERS AND GODDAMNIT YOU WILL KNOW THIS SO HARD

It's the lesser of two evils. I'd rather have some unnecessary things spelled out for me than have to google for things that should be quite plain. I hate being thrown into a game without a basic idea of the mechanics of the game and the rudimentary controls. Metro 2033 was bad about it, it's part of what made FFXI and FFXIV so difficult to pick up initially, and I think an important part of immersion is being able to fluidly interface with the game.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I don't dislike it nearly as much as games where I get lost all the time.

I liked how Dead Space did it, press a button (ENTIRELY OPTIONAL) and it shows you EXACTLY how to get to the next area. No nags at all, just a completely straightforward way of showing you where your next objective is.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I don't dislike it nearly as much as games where I get lost all the time.

I liked how Dead Space did it, press a button (ENTIRELY OPTIONAL) and it shows you EXACTLY how to get to the next area. No nags at all, just a completely straightforward way of showing you where your next objective is.

Yeah, I think Dead Spaces approach was good. No text/highlight/communication/etc telling you what you should be doing. I find it funny they even need to tell you, games have become so god damn linear nowadays that it is nearly impossible to get lost or not know what to do (few exceptions).

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
+1

those people and also first time players.

I think this is going to change in the not too distant future. Right now Video games are going mainstream and to aid that they need to make them as accessible as possible. That means creating games that your average 8 year old kid can figure out. But soon the market will be near saturation and the market will start demanding games that actually challenge players. If developers fail to start making games to challenge a generation that has grown up on video games then the industry will go though a major die off.
So, I for one am looking forward to a future of video games that are meant to be a real challenge to a generation that plays video games like our generation watched TV.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Yea, I hate that OP.
Then again, I don't like any sort of game that restricts you too much.

I prefer open/sandbox type play....

If I'm playin an FPS, I like Stuff like Doom/Quake, where you can go wherever the fvck you like in the maps.

Also, I HATE cutscenes or pauses in the gameplay. I love movies, but when I want to watch a movie, I watch a fvckin movie.

simonizor

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2010
Meanwhile, in Chechnya...

Do you have a point or are you just trying to be an asshat? Either way, GTFO if you don't have any sort of constructive posting to make. Shit posts like this are turning AT into a wasteland of neffing and other off topic posting.