Anyone else sick of games telling you what to do?

kypron77

Mar 7, 2009
I've noticed a very irritating trend in games lately. It seems like if you don't immediately push forward on the predetermined path, a voice (there is always some kind of comlink\psychic connection) starts barking orders at you for what to do next. Anyone else find this extremely irritating?

I'm the kind of gamer that likes to take my time, search, and gawk at the scenery. I find it impossible to enjoy the game, when, like a nagging wife, it barks the same orders over and over until you comply. That brings me to my other point. Why the hell is there always a voice in my head? I play singleplayer games to be alone, not to constantly have someone yammering away in my head about shit I don't care about. In real life I don't even carry a cellphone, I hardly want a non-interruptible psychic link with someone who has to give me constant feedback.

Shut the fuck up games, please. Hopefully developers stop this annoying trend sooner rather than later. I had to uninstall Homefront because of this (grab the gun, grab the gun, go through the door, go through the door) Good lord, if I had someone in my head this much in real life I would perform a very hasty decapitation on myself to sever the link.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
I can only remember this bothering me in Portal 2. Every time you come up to a door it tells you to press E to open it.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Bioshock was the worst.
It did it, then it explained it in a clever way, then it KEPT ON DOING IT.
Worst on-rails game ever made.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
Bioshock was the worst.
It did it, then it explained it in a clever way, then it KEPT ON DOING IT.
Worst on-rails game ever made.

..did you finish Bioshock? There was an actual reason for that that is very ntegral to the story lol.

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
Batman Arkham Asylum is kinda like that. Irritated me so much I couldn't continue.

Run here. Press A repeatedly to kick the door open.
Look up, press a button to Batterang something open.
Run here, press this to glide, because there's nothing else you can do.

kypron77

Mar 7, 2009
Yeah, the qte button pressing really irritates me too. I really liked Crysis 2, despite gould's incessant nagging, but I couldn't stand the parts where you were lying on your back like a turtle, alternating different button presses to crawl, or sit up, for minutes at a time. Then you'd play for 10 minutes, and once again be injured and flopping on the ground pressing a button to crawl at .005 ft\sec.

Can we please have more qte's for small inconsequential things? It would be really great to have a quadriplegic simulator, where you lay on your back in a hospital bed, and alternately press one of 25 different buttons to try and move your fingers, or eyelashes, for hours at a time.

Yeah, pretty irritated with qte's as well.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
..did you finish Bioshock? There was an actual reason for that that is very ntegral to the story lol.

And it got boring once they revealed the "twist" and kept the linear nature of the game. It would have been much better as an RPG/choice game from that point.

Last edited:

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Yeah, the qte button pressing really irritates me too. I really liked Crysis 2, despite gould's incessant nagging, but I couldn't stand the parts where you were lying on your back like a turtle, alternating different button presses to crawl, or sit up, for minutes at a time. Then you'd play for 10 minutes, and once again be injured and flopping on the ground pressing a button to crawl at .005 ft\sec.

Can we please have more qte's for small inconsequential things? It would be really great to have a quadriplegic simulator, where you lay on your back in a hospital bed, and alternately press one of 25 different buttons to try and move your fingers, or eyelashes, for hours at a time.

Yeah, pretty irritated with qte's as well.

Crysis 2 had 3 of these moments in the entire game. Not saying I liked them, but they were many hours apart.

I'm not a big fan of this stuff either. I understand as a tutorial at first, but more and more games are doing this stuff through the whole game.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
It's way easier to design levels when you very specifically follow a path. You can't expect them to churn out an aaa game a year with cool level design can you?

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
All of the needless hand holding is one of the big reasons I simply can't play games anymore. It doesn't take too many "PRESS E TO OPEN DOOR" prompts, glowing interactables, onscreen arrows, intrusive and needless HUD information, nagging sidekicks, and floating objective markers to make me uninstall a game.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
Shepard, hit the keystone!

I'm trying to look around, pick up ammo, and salvage parts and meanwhile this damn message keeps getting barked at me every 10 seconds...

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
I'm playing Crysis 2 right now. This is actually pretty common in this game IMO. I don't have quite the inappropriate angry reaction to it that you do however, lol.

smartpatrol

Mar 8, 2006
I hate that crap. It really kills the fun for me.

Look at old school games like Metroid or Legend of Zelda. They just drop you in the middle of a huge world and leave it to you to figure it out. Half the fun is exploring at your own pace.

Imagine how much Metroid would've sucked if you had constant hand-holding throughout.
"It looks like you can bomb your way through the floor here. Give it a try!"
"Now we have to find the freeze gun."
"You can freeze enemies and use them as platforms. (Use the freeze gun to freeze this enemy and reach the platform above)"
"Good job. Keep an eye out for conspicuous floating enemies!"
***Achievement unlocked "Mr. Freeze"

Oct 27, 2007
I hate HATE fucking HATE the new "interactive movie" approach to game design that many studios are taking. I fucking HATE it. Black Ops is by far the worst offender, but it sucks that many games are no longer games, but a movie with a fucking "press e to continue" prompt every now and again.

Arkham Asylum also sucked huge smelly vinegar balls because of this. Never understood the hype behind that steaming pile of dog shit.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I hate HATE fucking HATE the new "interactive movie" approach to game design that many studios are taking. I fucking HATE it. Black Ops is by far the worst offender, but it sucks that many games are no longer games, but a movie with a fucking "press e to continue" prompt every now and again.

Arkham Asylum also sucked huge smelly vinegar balls because of this. Never understood the hype behind that steaming pile of dog shit.

To be fair its been around since Final Fantasy 7.

simonizor

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2010
I really couldn't agree more. It really breaks the sense of immersion when a big message pops up in the middle of the screen telling me what key to press to perform some action. I know what fucking key to push; I set them myself. If I hadn't, that's what the manual is for. If you're going to put this crap into your game, it should at least be optional so you don't offend people who don't need to be looked after as if they were dogs.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
It dates back from a long time ago, and it's not just voices, but I do agree about voices being irritating when its only goal is to just show you the way and isn't part of a story or character development or something important going on. I'm sure most of you guys can remember back in the 8-Bit and 16-Bit era, those side-scrollers in which you have big fucking arrows pointing left or right telling you that you absolutely had to go there to resume in the level? Well guess what? No shit buddy! Not much choices in side-scrollers anyway, either to the left, or to the right... oh yeah, sometimes up and down too, but hey back then developers thought that kids were too dumb to figure that out by themselves (well... I guess some were).

Personally thought yeah voices telling you what to do next, non-stop, does irritate me, but above and beyond that on the purest of all annoyance forms there is, the one thing that pisses me off the most is when a fucking door knob or a chest or some pile of rockets launchers that just so happens to be there for that well-timed scripted scene is glowing up like the Sun... "HEY, player! LOOK HERE! I'm right there in FRONT of you, it's part of the scripted scene, there's no where else interesting to look at anyway BUT I AM GLOWING SO THAT YOU CAN AVOID THINKING, pick me up! I am the thing you need to proceed to the next fucking cinematic!", yeah, that pisses me off.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Not anymore. When I was younger, probably.

Now I actually get annoyed when I get stuck, and the damn game won't tell me exactly where to go. Don't have much time to get stuck fo rhours, then google a walkthrough, still get stuck, google again, yell, cry, and finally find something.