Anyone else put up their xmas tree/lights yet?

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Several houses around me have put their outside lights/decorations up in the past week or so I did mine today since the temps in dallas will drop considerably tomorrow (was in low 70's today and will be in the 40's tomorrow morning)...

I have always done it the day after thanksgiving though prior to this year...

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Last year I got an Alberta spruce to put on the table. I stuck it in the ground early spring. It's up on the hill at the top of the remains of my fallen oak. I bought some solar powered lights with the intention of lighting it, and that's what I did yesterday. I hooked the lights up last week, and turned them on yesterday. Since it's only 1.5' high, it's kinda extra lit. There's more lights than necessary, but it looks good. I can see it from the house, and it's the only thing with lights up there. The lights are pretty dim by morning, but they kept going through the night. It turns off, then charges during the day. Best $10 I've spent in awhile, and I have another string/controller I haven't used yet.

edit:
Just looked and they're dim now. I guess they don't get enough power during the day to last through the night. 5 hours isn't bad though. Still happy with them :^)

Last edited:

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
So, do anything to the ground? Have a ground up oak stump and would like to put something there.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I have about 12' of tree left with a bench cut in the side. I wanted to use the tree for /something/, and it was too big to easily take apart with the saws I had at the time, so I have a ~6 ton yard ornament on the hill :^D

I'd add topsoil to the chips. I think they'll pull nutrients from the ground until they rot and release them. The topsoil should be a decent buffer until that happens. Don't quote me on any of that. I'm just a firewood hack with a recent interest in forestry. Most of my attention has been put into taking trees apart so far. I want to start branching out, and learning some of the finer points of forest life and tree care though.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Not yet. Turkey weekend. I MIGHT work on outside lighting and decor before then...maybe

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
Got our lights/deco up on Sunday. I usually get them up Veteran's Weekend but we were in Vegas and too busy last weekend. The wife put up a new tree inside the house and got it decorated, 2 more to go and a bunch of other stuff still need to go up inside, but we usually wait for my stepson to come home so we can do it all as a family.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
No, we picked up a fake one a couple years ago that is pre-strung. We'll put it up probably in two weeks and add some decorations. We’ve never done anything outside.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
No, we picked up a fake one a couple years ago that is pre-strung. We'll put it up probably in two weeks and add some decorations. We’ve never done anything outside.

scrooge.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
True, but the wife and I spent our first 7 years in a condo complex and I lived in an apartment when I was single. I never really did adapt to typical home owner traditions, well, aside from mowing the damn grass. Oh, and changing out the mulch around our nicely appointed trees and shrubbery. After doing that in the rain one year - I discovered I could actually pay people to do that for me.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
Bought a fake tree this year since we have a cat now and were unsure what level of damage it would do. Put it up last weekend since the wife loves the holidays and we didn't decorate at all last year (traveling through the holidays).

I'll probably string up some lights outside this weekend.

Nov 17, 2019
I've seen a few places with it out for close to a month now. I had to look close at first to see if it was reindeer and elves or skeletons and goblins.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
My neighbors across the street are savages and have had their decorations up and turned on for a week now.
I'll be putting the tree up on Friday, when it's appropriate to do so.

Reactions: Captante
Nov 17, 2019
I've been dumped on pretty good this year and haven't decided if I'll be doing anything or not. Leaning heavily towards 'not' though.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I put my tree up at the correct time.

2nd week of December.

Like a civilised person! 🧐

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
Put up lights at the front of the house last Saturday. Normally don't put them up before Thanksgiving but I wanted to take advantage of a warm sunny day with all the rain we've had lately. We'll get a tree 1st or 2nd week in December.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'll decorate my computer at work Friday or Monday when I go in. Not sure if I'm working Friday. Forgot to say anything, so I'll call Friday morning and see if there's anything pressing going on.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Put up some outside lights today. Not happy with the way some of them turned out...will redo them later.

hardhat

Dec 4, 2011
I put mine up two weeks ago. If I can avoid doing that in the wind and snow, I'm all for it. The lights won't be on until nearer Christmas, though.