Anyone else out there have problems with Gigabyte RMA ?

Chase_20

Jan 7, 2017
I have a broken cap on my motherboard, i paid the shipping to get it sent to gigabyte . After about 3 weeks of endless waiting I get a message in my RMA status website from gigabyte that says "No Trouble found after tests with multiple configurations". So i receive back the Gigabyte motherboard with the same broken cap, are you really going to be kidding me ? Of course there's no problems now , its only one cap, after one cap goes that's when caps 2 and 3 and 4 go and your left with a fried P.O.S. . Preposterous ! Switching to M.S.I. !

To think I paid 1/4 the price of the motherboard mail it off to get it fixed !

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Welcome to the forums! What did their customer service say when you contacted them about the testing failure?

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Id take a pic of the broken cap email it to them and see what they say. Obviously they didn't even look at it the first time.

Chase_20

Jan 7, 2017
rma status was updated to "Phyiscal Damage/Unrepairable; Warranty Voided"
yes they misspelled physical. contacted management and am waiting to update you guys

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
You said you weren't experiencing any problems with the board, how did you come to find out a capacitor was loose (new purchase, working on PC, etc)? Do you have a pic of the damage you could post here?

Which retailer did you buy it from? Did you contact their return department by any chance if it was a new purchase?

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Gigabyte RMA sucks. I had their graphic card, never again... They are doing what ever they can to avoid warranty. For example: Starting period of rma for graphic card is when it was manufactured and not when it was bought. That means if you buy one year later, you lose one year. Maybe this is the same for their motherboards. When I had problems with card I was reading horror stories about Gigabyte rma. They can stick their windforce and their boards you know where if you ask me. :)

Im starting to agree, Gigabyte and asus have been my go to mobo companies for years, but ive had a few issues with gigabyte rma's myself lately and i think im about done with them. Might be time to give Asrock another shot.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
ALL mb companies have crap rma processes because they know it's cheaper to attract new customers than support current ones. They have customer service centers simply so they can say they have one NOT, to provide service. ASUS is my go to but has as bad or worse customer service as everyone else.

Reactions: UsandThem

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
ALL mb companies have crap rma processes because they know it's cheaper to attract new customers than support current ones. They have customer service centers simply so they can say they have one NOT, to provide service. ASUS is my go to but has as bad or worse customer service as everyone else.

This. You can find RMA/customer service 'horror' stories about Gigabyte, Asus, ASRock, MSI, EVGA, Biostar, ECS, SuperMicro, or anyone else I forgot.

A few people are lucky enough to get good/decent service with RMA service, but the vast majority of the posts here, and across the various forums out there, is "XYZ RMA sucks. Don't buy their product."

The problem is if we did this, nobody would be able to buy a motherboard because none of them are any good if you believe all the posts out there detailing how bad they are. A person would be much better served if they experience a issue in the first 30 days, and deal with the retailer. I know sometimes the issues begin after that time, and there's nothing you can do about that, but at least the majority of issues will appear quickly if there is a defect.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/asus-rma-nightmare-buyer-beware.2447820/

http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopic.php?t=43923

https://www.avforums.com/threads/is-msi-customer-service-lying-and-profiting-from-rmas.1869475/

https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1260641