Anyone else looking forward to Wildstar?

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I've been playing the beta this weekend after not really paying attention to it, and I've been pleasantly surprised by it. The game-play is very fluid, which is one of the things I care about the most. After watching some stuff about the dungeon/endgame content, I'm almost ready to preorder although I'm still holding off.

Please spare me too much of the "cartoony" crap. It looks good (within the constraints of it's style) and presumably allows them to do a lot more in regards to game-play.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
You know, I was about 5 seconds away from saying something sarcastic about another by-the-numbers game. In the small period of time between then and now I went ahead checked out the website. The end game could end up sucking anyways, but I'll admit the style and whimsy caught me off guard. Not sure it I will buy it at release but it has caught my interest. Thanks for the heads up.

Feb 4, 2009
I had a pretty good time with a couple of the beta's too. I'd give it a solid B rating, not bad at all and they are doing some different things. Plus most of my time playing was fun. I wasn't too crazy about the extended time in the noob zone and the weird glowing effect on the planet but those are pretty minor issues.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
Is it YATPMMO? (Yet Another Theme Park MMO). I know they all say they're an innovative MMO, but in my experience, they all end up being just that.

Feb 4, 2009
Is it YATPMMO? (Yet Another Theme Park MMO). I know they all say they're an innovative MMO, but in my experience, they all end up being just that.

Kind of but its not quite so move on to the next quest type game, you can actually wander around and find stuff to do. There are tons of quests if you want to complete them. Once you are in the main game its not that hard to die, no real penalty for death but its oddly a decent change. Its a semi action based combat too (you have to aim).

Snock514

Golden Member
Jul 20, 2009
I'm liking the beta now that it's playable on my machine but I don't think I like it enough to pay $48~ from GMG.

CRV

Apr 8, 2014
I got a free beta code from GameSpot, but somehow after downloading it, it did not want to launch.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
I played a few weekends during the beta and liked it. Sadly, I will probably buy it and play for a bit, but never really end up being dedicated. Similar to how I did in SWTOR. I've just kind of gotten burnt out really quickly on MMOs since I left WoW. I think a large part of it is I prefer to min / max and push new end game content. And without dedication I can't really do that, so starting a new MMO takes more time than I'd prefer to put in.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I played a few weekends during the beta and liked it. Sadly, I will probably buy it and play for a bit, but never really end up being dedicated. Similar to how I did in SWTOR. I've just kind of gotten burnt out really quickly on MMOs since I left WoW. I think a large part of it is I prefer to min / max and push new end game content. And without dedication I can't really do that, so starting a new MMO takes more time than I'd prefer to put in.

I'm worried about that happening to me too. I have a lot more free time at the moment though so maybe it'll actually be a good outlet for me.

I went ahead and preordered it. GMG has a 10% off coupon that works on the deluxe edition (I imagine the standard too). Granted, there will probably be a 20% by the time it's actually released; I felt like making sure I got some sort of deal on it though.

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Probably didn't give it enough time, but seemed just like every other MMO. What makes it unique and worth a monthly fee when GW2 exists?

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
Probably didn't give it enough time, but seemed just like every other MMO. What makes it unique and worth a monthly fee when GW2 exists?

I own GW2, but couldn't really get into it oddly enough so I can't really say : (

Clemenza

Oct 12, 2010
I tried the Beta a few weeks back and found it to be fairly terrible. It has polish but it feels like it's trying to hard to be the anti-mmo mmo. I get the humor and what they are trying to do but it really felt like they were just trying too hard.

I hated the combat. All ground target cone effect spells and abilities really turned me off. I can see where the boss mechanics can be challenging but I really could not get into the combat. All of my friends that are getting it rave about the skill required for combat and I just didn't see that at all.

PVP is a giant clusterfuck.

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011

Because you can earn in game currency to pay your monthly fee. I don't know how it works yet, but it's there.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008

At it's core, it feels like a WoW clone, but that isn't a bad thing. It does a lot of things better IMO rather than just being pure copypasta from WoW.

We won't get another MMO that breaks that archetype for awhile. It just is too much of a risk. I'd personally love a UO type MMO that was more organic, but EVE is the closest we've had and I'd rather watch paint dry than travel 24 hours real time across space...

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Ah, I actually meant to play again this past beta weekend, but I was wasting time in Diablo III instead. :p I have played in previous beta weekends and I already pre-ordered the game, but there's one aspect about the game that I didn't care for: the UI. In most MMOs, I find myself wanting to scale down the UI because it's a little too big at times; however, in Wildstar, I find that the UI is too small and just feels insignificant and fairly decoupled. I took up minig and smithing (or whatever they call them in the game), and I still have no idea where to find my mining level.

One interesting comment that I heard about the game is that there's tons of end game content that's already complete. I doubt they've just added it all to the game as some sort of smorgasbord for players, but rather, it'll solve the usual new MMO end-game drought that games like TOR went through.

I'm worried about that happening to me too. I have a lot more free time at the moment though so maybe it'll actually be a good outlet for me.

That'll probably happen with me as well!

I went ahead and preordered it. GMG has a 10% off coupon that works on the deluxe edition (I imagine the standard too). Granted, there will probably be a 20% by the time it's actually released; I felt like making sure I got some sort of deal on it though.

GMG gave out personal 25% codes to their customers and the 20% off code worked in the past. The game doesn't come out for about two months, so unless you want beta access now and don't want to have to find a code each time (it's really easy), I would wait to pre-order.

Chiropteran

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2003
I thought it looked cool, but the first quest pissed me off so I uninstalled. I want to play a damn game, I hate mandatory stupid tutorial quests.

Rinaun

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2005
A while ago one of my friends went on a rant about how WoW and MMOS like WoW are "done" and the formula has been dead-horse'd to the point of no more. I thought he was crazy but he's pretty much spot-on: Wildstar does the formula better than any other MMO out there besides wow, if not perfect. That being said, it's still a B-rate game that will end up being just a small speck in the MMO market.

Bottom line is MMOs arent changing fast enough and its showing in the stagnation. MMOs don't want to risk moving from the WoW-style game design and thus end up being below WoW. I see more growth in the "make FPS games more like MMOs" market than the "Make MMOs less like WoW" market.

Last edited:

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I thought it looked cool, but the first quest pissed me off so I uninstalled. I want to play a damn game, I hate mandatory stupid tutorial quests.

I liked it the first time because I was completely unfamiliar with the lore and liked getting a bit of a primer so I took it slow. Subsequent times have been annoying, but I can do it so fast that I just barely don't mind.