Anyone else have issues with OEM Vista upgrade coupon from Newegg?

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
I bought XP Media Center edition OEM from Newegg that came with the free upgrade coupon. I followed the instructions on the paper that said to go to a certain website and fill in my info. Did that. I gave my credit card info for the shipping (please, $10 to ship it?). Next, I get an email from them requesting a copy of my receipt and the confirmation number (listed in the subject line of the email). No problem, I thought. I print out my newegg invoice, scan it as a pdf and mail it to them. Now they are saying it's invalid!

I call (after being on hold for about 20 minutes to be told by someone that they only handle upgrades from prebuilt pcs and to go to another website. That website is not what I want, it appears to be for business versions. I don't think that she realized I had an OEM and not a retail version, but I didn't think to mention that until just now.

Has anyone else had a problem with this?

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
I just got off the phone w/ them, and they do handle the prebuilt machines, AND NEWEGG orders. Talked this time with a rep that sounded like she was awake during the training. She thinks it was an error on their end that I was denied and to try resending my Newegg receipt.

For those in a similar position about to send their info in or get the software from newegg, make sure you are persistant with the people on the phone and remind them that they also do Newegg orders. Hope this helps anyone else in the same situation.