Anyone else have a good day today?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
IDK about you guys but damn I've had a good day today. Didn't do anything special or get a big project done just spent the day doing chores like vacuuming, laundry, and dishes but it was just a good day. Then made the kids some lunch and raked a few leaves after that.

Now I'm finishing off the the day with some football and I just lit a fire for the night. Settling in for the night with a low of 25f and enjoying the fire seems like the perfect nightcap.

Anyone else ever had a day like this?

View attachment 52852
are we suppose to feel sorry for you? a good day is doing chores and watching football? i think id rather be in a coma. Of course i dont have to do chores and i only watch football if im being paid to do so :) reading this thread seems to show the crazy differences we all have on what is a good day.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I had a busy day. Two of my oldschool friends both had computer issues to deal with, and I guess, I'm "that guy".

One friend, his Dell-based gaming PC that I built him a few years back, based on a refurb unit from ebay, died on him. He brought it over, I replaced the PSU and swapped the RAM around, still no-go, seems like mainboard failure. Sigh.

So for him, I ordered a refurb HP ProDesk 400 G3 MT, with a Skylake i5-6600 to replace his i5-2400 Dell tower, and I'll move over the drives and GPU, and add some DDR4 RAM for him, then hopefully, his "refurb gaming PC" should be good to go, at a cost far lower than buying a brand-new (even brand-new "refurb") gaming PC.

The other friend was in a tizzy, he had been living with his GF, and let his internet bill slide at his apt., and they had disconnected him and sent him to collections. He was having trouble wrapping his head around the idea that just because he paid his arrears to 'bigISP', that they wouldn't automatically continue his service.

Once I was able to convince him that: 1) he needed to order new service, and 2) him paying that bill wasn't a "waste", because if he hadn't, he wouldn't have been able to order service again at that address, then things went a bit smoother. He called 'bigISP', and spoke to a few people, got set up on another new plan, now he had internet. (Of course, it was maxing at 94Mbit/sec down, and his plan is for 800Mbit/sec down, so that's another problem for another time, I guess.)

Edit: I suspect a cable issue with his wired ethernet, as 94Mbit/sec is a suspicious number, being the theoretical max of a 100Mbit/sec ethernet connection. I ordered a 5-pack of 7' Cat6 cables from Newegg for $12 for him, gratis for him. (I'm always giving out cables to my friends, they're cheap enough I'm not going to hassle them over a couple of bucks. I buy in bulk, generally, anyways.)

But at least, I've felt useful these past few days, been keeping busy.

Edit: The more I think about the ISP issue, the more that I think that it is both a modem config file issue, as well as a modem model issue. The ISP won't upload "crippled" config files. So they're uploading a baseline config file to his modem, because his current modem, I'm pretty sure, being like 2-3 years old at this point, won't support the 800Mbit/sec plan on this ISP, and to get a "proper" 800Mbit/sec config file, he'll need a new modem. Which I actually bought for him, a few months ago, when they had the Arris DOCSIS 3.1 multi-gig (it has a 2.5GbE port on the back) for $40 off, or $160. Hopefully, he can pony up some $$$ to get his full plan speed.

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I had a busy day. Two of my oldschool friends both had computer issues to deal with, and I guess, I'm "that guy".

One friend, his Dell-based gaming PC that I built him a few years back, based on a refurb unit from ebay, died on him. He brought it over, I replaced the PSU and swapped the RAM around, still no-go, seems like mainboard failure. Sigh.

So for him, I ordered a refurb HP ProDesk 400 G3 MT, with a Skylake i5-6600 to replace his i5-2400 Dell tower, and I'll move over the drives and GPU, and add some DDR4 RAM for him, then hopefully, his "refurb gaming PC" should be good to go, at a cost far lower than buying a brand-new (even brand-new "refurb") gaming PC.

The other friend was in a tizzy, he had been living with his GF, and let his internet bill slide at his apt., and they had disconnected him and sent him to collections. He was having trouble wrapping his head around the idea that just because he paid his arrears to 'bigISP', that they wouldn't automatically continue his service.

Once I was able to convince him that: 1) he needed to order new service, and 2) him paying that bill wasn't a "waste", because if he hadn't, he wouldn't have been able to order service again at that address, then things went a bit smoother. He called 'bigISP', and spoke to a few people, got set up on another new plan, now he had internet. (Of course, it was maxing at 94Mbit/sec down, and his plan is for 800Mbit/sec down, so that's another problem for another time, I guess.)

Edit: I suspect a cable issue with his wired ethernet, as 94Mbit/sec is a suspicious number, being the theoretical max of a 100Mbit/sec ethernet connection. I ordered a 5-pack of 7' Cat6 cables from Newegg for $12 for him, gratis for him. (I'm always giving out cables to my friends, they're cheap enough I'm not going to hassle them over a couple of bucks. I buy in bulk, generally, anyways.)

But at least, I've felt useful these past few days, been keeping busy.
Sounds productive. Did you make a decent amount of money from your services?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Sounds productive. Did you make a decent amount of money from your services?
Making money? What's that? :p

Edit: I should be making 10% on the re-build, when it's all said and done.

The guy with the ISP issue, yeah, he pays me for parts, but not for my time, at least, lately. Maybe I should send him a bill. :p

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I used my fire pit for the first time this past Friday. Had a glass of whiskey and played games on my laptop while sitting in front of the fire.

I also think I figured out why my mouse was constantly disconnecting from my laptop (annoying while web browsing, infuriating in the middle of games) - the mouse (or its drivers) are bad. I switched over to a different mouse and haven't had problems since. Fingers crossed.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
miserable day.
Move some rocks; you'll feel better.

1637602522773.png
So let the sun shine in
Face it with a grin
Smilers never lose
And frowners never win
So let the sun shine in
Face it with a grin
Open up your heart and let the sun shine in.

As a child I thought the lyrics were:
Miners never lose
And farmers never win
so I thought the song was weird. It was Pebbles and Bam Bam singing it so it made sense in the context of the Flintstones.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Went hiking, dog had a blast. Ate great poke. Watched a good Sunday night football game, and finished all my Christmas shopping yesterday. Two nieces, sister, brother in law, mom. That's it. We do like $50 max. Well except the kids get much more from the parents and grandparents of course. But from adults to adults.

Etsy came through for the most difficult two gifts, and I managed to avoid Amazon for the most part. All good things.

Booked a second date yesterday for this upcoming weekend with a Greek girl to go to the Christmas light show at the Brooklyn botanical gardens. The first date was the best first date that I can remember in quite some time.

So a good day for what happened, and what was planned.
f9cec17296c6bbec619e9cc8b6b9e415.jpg
7aa970a0ffea9237e567c2f3d0aa3fcc.jpg
d40f416d4a26a983d87a0cdaba08ad97.jpg

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Pretty good day, woke up to snow but I'm off all week so I don't need to scramble to get to work on time, so that's always nice.

rAJzUNz.jpg

I'll deal with it later. Just having covfefe now.

Reactions: FreshCrabLegs

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Move some rocks; you'll feel better.
..i have no rocks to move.

stupidly, i got myself convinced to come visit my mother, and the daily activities are
1. wake up
2. do nothing
3. lunch
4. do nothing
5. dinner
6. bed

i "am not allowed" to drink, buy food, or eat outside of her control. there is fuck all to do in this 30k people town and i have no transport.
yes we went fishing and couldnt catch an old shoe.

this is sooooo much better than lobster and hookers, I AM SO GLAD i opted for this and not Thailand.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
The local government site gives multiple scholarships to the sophomore students at the local uni, STEM department. $3K. Mine got it last year. Supposedly the site is flush because they're giving it again this year and including juniors. Another $3K for my kid. And there has been $ for students in the covid relief package. He's basically going to school for free when you include the $7500 lottery $.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Alright since some of you weren't happy with what I though constituted a good day in my OP I thought I would add a few more pics of what I was up to over the past few days.

The tile for remodeling the fireplace from post #1 came in so we decided to jump in and get it done. I forgot to takes pics of the demo though so sorry about that.

We decided to go with a sculptured tile on the wall and a Carrara Italian porcelain tile for the hearth. We are remodeling the entry way as well and will be using the same Carrara Italian tile on the floor.

Here is the BEFORE pic from post #1.
IMG_20211114_192906728_HDR.jpg

This pic is about 3/4 of the way through getting the wall tiles installed. These fuckers were large and heavy and because of the sculpturing a pain to cut with out chipping.
IMG_20211201_105138344_HDR.jpg

This pic shows the wall tile done and also the hearth. We used the spin doctor leveling system with the thinnest grout lines possible.
IMG_20211201_140357027_HDR.jpg

Here is the finished install pic. We chose a white grout and it turned out amazing! Pictures just don't do it justice.
IMG_20211203_100741083_HDR.jpg

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
my covid test came back negative, i started out my work day reading a paper on fatigue crack propagation in crankshafts (fascinating to me), aaaaand i'm a few drinks in :D (first drink was cherry rum + coke - good. 2nd drink was vodka cranberry juice and lime..pretty disastrous. threw in some watermelon schnapps to at least make it sweeter, even though it's still extremely tart. would not do again)

Reactions: bbhaag