Anyone else got messed up reflections in CS:S recently? Thankyou Valve...NOT :P

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
I noticed today (although they could have been like that for a while) that the indoor tile reflections (like in the passages in dust/dust2 and on the walls and floor of the carpark where the CTs start in Office were much brighter and messier looking (not nearly as good looking as i recalled)...

i was (until just now) using the most recent whql nvidia drivers for my 6600GT. Using the 82.12 betas now so i might check it out and see if it's still like that...

screenshot with the 82.12s, looks exactly like it did earlier with the whql ones...

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/dug777/messedupreflections.JPG

EDIT: it appears this is part of the recent CS:S patch :confused:

why you would want to make a great looking game look like ass is beyond me i have to admit tho'...

zagood

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
Nice cat lol...

They updated on the 20th, maybe they're trying out some HDR features without telling anyone.

Go to options/video/advanced and turn off HDR, see if that changes it.

Haven't played in a while, I'll see if I'm getting the same thing.

Are you getting that in only one server or all? HDR only works in HDR enabled maps, I have no idea if they've released any for CS:S, so I may be talking out of my butt.

-z

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: zagood
Nice cat lol...

They updated on the 20th, maybe they're trying out some HDR features without telling anyone.

Go to options/video/advanced and turn off HDR, see if that changes it.

Haven't played in a while, I'll see if I'm getting the same thing.

Are you getting that in only one server or all? HDR only works in HDR enabled maps, I have no idea if they've released any for CS:S, so I may be talking out of my butt.

-z

all servers i think, i was playing on US servers earlier and they were like that, then that screenshot was taken just now with different drivers and on a New Zealand server i think...

EDIT: he is a nice cat thanks :D

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: zagood
Got the same thing, and it's not HDR, turned it off completely and I got the same thing.

http://static.flickr.com/38/80839082_e39bcc1825_o.jpg

Haven't played in a month though so also can't remember if it's always been like that.

Using 78.01 drivers on a 6800NU.

-z

glad to see i'm not the only one :)

it's even horrible and plasticy looking on the walls inside office too :p (looks like the overdone specular highlights in d3 to me :()

(and for the love of god turn some AF on mate ;))

Jun 14, 2003
Originally posted by: dug777
I noticed today (although they could have been like that for a while) that the indoor tile reflections (like in the passages in dust/dust2 and on the walls and floor of the carpark where the CTs start in Office were much brighter and messier looking (not nearly as good looking as i recalled)...

i was (until just now) using the most recent whql nvidia drivers for my 6600GT. Using the 82.12 betas now so i might check it out and see if it's still like that...

screenshot with the 82.12s, looks exactly like it did earlier with the whql ones...

accidently given away synthy boys IM address :evil: *begins to plot fraud scam*

ill break out steam now, let it update then see if it happens to me...im running older drivers.

EDIT: well i would but steam wont connect

Mar 19, 2003
Originally posted by: otispunkmeyer

ill break out steam now, let it update then see if it happens to me...im running older drivers.

Except that he asked me in advance if I cared that he left my email exposed, and I said I didn't :p

Jun 14, 2003
Originally posted by: SynthDude2001

Except that he asked me in advance if I cared that he left my email exposed, and I said I didn't :p

your going down dont worry :D

mines otispunkmeyer_al@hotmail.com.....for an equal,opposite and totally pointless never gonna happen counter attack

Mar 19, 2003

mines otispunkmeyer_al@hotmail.com.....for an equal,opposite and totally pointless never gonna happen counter attack

bring it, cookie boy ;)

Jun 14, 2003

bring it, cookie boy ;)

touche

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
I have the same problem. Actually its not just me its everybody who plays CSS...
Valve thought it would be a good idea to make everything shiny.
IMO it looks like CRAP!!!
This changed with the last patch in CSS so changing your drivers isn't going to help you on this one. Sorry for the bad news :(

dug777

Lifer
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: JBT
I have the same problem. Actually its not just me its everybody who plays CSS...
Valve thought it would be a good idea to make everything shiny.
IMO it looks like CRAP!!!
This changed with the last patch in CSS so changing your drivers isn't going to help you on this one. Sorry for the bad news :(

Bastages :|

It looks like silver-plated pig crap :p

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Typing mat_bumpmap 0 and mat_specular 0 in console fixes the problem for now.

KeepItRed

Jul 19, 2005
I get this too on my X1800XT. It's VALVe's problem. The reflections appear on the walls, floors, and sometimes on the players' fingernails. Not to mention the massive FPS drop everyone is suffering...

There's a command that will get rid of those annoying reflections until an update is made:

cl_interpolate 0

This removes the "alieny" effect but also removes reflections on parts that are supposed to be reflected.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
I thought I noticed a difference in some of the floor tiles on dust/2....hmmm

I guess it's just a stupid update...and they screwed something up.

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
Originally posted by: KeepItRed
I get this too on my X1800XT. It's VALVe's problem. The reflections appear on the walls, floors, and sometimes on the players' fingernails. Not to mention the massive FPS drop everyone is suffering...

There's a command that will get rid of those annoying reflections until an update is made:

cl_interpolate 0

This removes the "alieny" effect but also removes reflections on parts that are supposed to be reflected.

interopolate has to do with hit boxes...

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Yeah cl_interpolate is a network code command. The command to get rid of the 1000lbs of vasoline on everything is:

mat_specular 0

Originally posted by: DeathSlayer
looks like valve got haxxored by rare.
hehe! :D

RobertR1

Golden Member
Oct 22, 2004
I'm getting the same issue also. It's not video card specific, it's Valve specific.