Anyone else getting spammed by Email from indiatimes.com?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Until recently my personal Email account was spamfree. Now over the past month I'm getting spammed about once per day. No, not a lot but for 4-5 years this address never got spam because I only gave it out to close friends and family. I strictly used it for that alone opting for a hotmail, netscape, yahoo, etc account for other stuff.

Now I'm getting worthless garbage spam mostly from (return address anyway) indiatimes.com users addressed in the form of Firstname_Lastname9909@indiatimes.com. Anyone else getting this?

Rob

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I just talked to a friend who's also a RoadRunner customer. He's getting spammed from indiatimes as well. Like me he's getting it from others but he recognized the domain right away. I wonder if TimeWarner/RoadRunner sold our addresses? Really strange to begin getting spam after 4-5 years of nothing. I can't think of any other way my address got out there.

Rob

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I never get some spam emails, I don't think I've ever recieved any in about 4 or 5 years, but I'm always very careful about the companies I give my address to and their policies regarding email.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Rand: Same here. That's how I've avoided it as well. I've never given out my personal address to anyone other than friends or family. I always register with either a bogus address or one of my free accounts that are used for just that. My guess is either my provider sold my address or my Mom got me on a list with one of those ECards. Oh well, I can always change my address but I shouldn't have to just because of these spamming scumbags...

Rob

perry

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2000
Report the spams to Spamcop. It'll track the headers and fire off emails to the people responsible for the systems that originated the spam. Webmasters, postmasters, etc etc. I've gotten numerous 'kill' messages back from my reports.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
i've been getting it at my university email account
which i only use for classes so its weird

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
perry: Thanks for the pointer. I've still got some of the spam in my deleted items folder at home. I'll report them later tonight.

Rob