Anyone else get an odd sense of excitement when crazy stuff goes on in the world?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Excitement is probably not the right word, but it's kinda like edge of your seat "ok what will happen next, this is getting good" kind of feeling. Life sometimes gets boring, just doing the grind day after day after day, and I find when something throws a wrench into all of it like coronavirus, it's oddly fun to just watch everything unfold. Don't get me wrong, it's sad to see people get negatively impacted by it and I feel bad, especially people who get very sick or if companies start laying off people because of the economy etc but for the most part, I just kind of enjoy the ride. Even if I did end up losing my job or my house value tanked, I figure I'm not the only one, so I'll just have to deal with it like everyone else. I doubt it will get that bad though.

I kinda remember having the same feeling during 9/11, obviously it was a horrible situation and I felt horrible for everyone impacted, but there was just something interesting about watching a historical event unfold, even though it was a terrible one. Same with the Fukishima plant etc.

Maybe I'm just morbid.

Reactions: pcslookout

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Things are happening. People tend to be more attentive to important things. Which is why people get inspired by major projects like the Apollo Project. Unfortunately Wars have the same effect and they get used for this very reason, instead of something more aspirational.

Reactions: Kaido

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Yeah, 1st, it was like thumper causing the media's hair to catch fire 14 times a day. Now, it's the DNC, hidin' biden and the bern getting the screw again.

Not being political....just take a step back. This shit is entertaining.

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Of course were watching with interest... The AntiChrist will soon be revealed.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I gotta admit... CNBC is a hell of a lot more interesting to watch when the stock market is in freefall. Those 2,000 point swings keep things exciting!

Of course, it's a bit more depressing when you realized that you lost enough money in your retirement account to buy a european sports car over the past few days :(

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I gotta admit... CNBC is a hell of a lot more interesting to watch when the stock market is in freefall. Those 2,000 point swings keep things exciting!

Of course, it's a bit more depressing when you realized that you lost enough money in your retirement account to buy a european sports car over the past few days :(
You might could pick up a cheap Euro someone cheap still.

😉

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

If you have that much to lose, then chances are you're doing alright financially even in a super bad crisis. ;)

I "lost" about 3k. (not really lost as long as I don't cash in)

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
Not gonna forget this, that’s for sure. I had the same conversation with my wife about 9/11 today. Those are the only two events on this level for millennials (or at least for me).

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Not gonna forget this, that’s for sure. I had the same conversation with my wife about 9/11 today. Those are the only two events on this level for millennials (or at least for me).
My son was 6 mo old and we were thinking, wth?

I still have my ar-14s in storage.

Last edited:
Reactions: JEDIYoda

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
Which what the so called Republican Christian desire......

Expecting and Desire are not exactly the same sentiment... but sure ok.

I have no desire for the end of the world... I still want to play Agricola for the next 40 years.
However, I dont think thats going to be the reality we face.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
The economy will recover even if it has to be torched to get Trump out of office!!

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Every Democrat who wants to torch the economy to have even the slightest 1% chance to get Trump NOT re-elected.

It's kinda Trumps fault and the entire Federal Government for not having millions of test kits ready to go....I just don't get what they were doing in January.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
When Donald got elected I was like "OH CRAP THIS WILL BE HILARIOUS!" and after about 2 months I was pretty sure he would destroy America.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Yes. Because most people are living in a dream state. It just means that people are so routine in their day to day that they aren't even conscious. Maybe this will force people to recognize that life is very precious and that we really don't have a lot of time on earth. In the grand scheme it's very very very short. Finally, this is a wake up call to all people who think that security is real. It's not real. It doesn't exist. We live on a rock that is floating thru space. Security is illusionary.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
It's kinda Trumps fault and the entire Federal Government for not having millions of test kits ready to go....I just don't get what they were doing in January.

Yep. And they are going on recess when they should be putting together something to help out people who are going to lose their jobs because of this virus.