Anyone else feel like time is going by too fast?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
:music:

Tired of lying in the sunshine
Staying home to watch the rain
And you are young and life is long
And there is time to kill today
And then one day you find
Ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun

:music:

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
I've thought about this often, in recent years. I'm 31 now, and I started noticing the apparent acceleration of time in my 20's. Particularly how fast Christmas seems to come. Do you remember when you were in grade school (high schoolers, this doesn't apply to you, as grade school was just a few years ago), Christmas seemed to never get here. Now, it seems like it's here before you know it. I saw Halloween stuff at Walgreen's today, and started thinking how fast autumn came.

I think the poster above was correct, in that it has to do with the fraction of your life that a year makes up, gets smaller. When you were 5, Christmases (or any annual event) seemed to be so far apart because they were 1/5 of your life. At 31, a year doesn't seem so long.

Also, I've noticed how fast 5 years goes by. I just celebrated by 7th year at my company, and it doesn't feel as long as the 4 years of high school was. I can't believe that since I started in 1999, kids who were starting 6th grade have completed that year, completed Jr. High, and completed High School. When I was graduating high school, memories of my 6th grade year seemed way more distant than memories of my first day on the job do now, even though they represent the same number of years.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Time is flying by me also.

Koing

ramirez

May 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Sc4freak
By my calculations, I'm still moving at the usual rate of 1 sec/sec...

lol

I've been feeling the same way recently. I was just thinking how fast the days were going by this past week. The poster with the fraction theory makes some good points...

aswedc

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2000
It can be kind of depressing when you realize a year has gone by in an instant and you haven't accomplished what you thought would be long done by now :(

episodic

Lifer
Feb 7, 2004
Originally posted by: aswedc
It can be kind of depressing when you realize a year has gone by in an instant and you haven't accomplished what you thought would be long done by now :(

Even moreso when mutliplied by ten.