Anyone else disappointed with gsync?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
It's not that, it's just the majority of the most played games--which are MOBAs, strategy games, F2P, etc, in additional to Japanese PC ports, tend to have engines which calculate physics based on 30 or 60 fps cycles. This completely borks G-Sync.

G-sync basically is designed to make shooters look smooth, and that's about it. If it's not a genre you care too much about, then it's not really a feature that's that meaningful.

Reminds me of when game speed was directly related to cpu clock, where you would have to turn "turbo" off when trying to play the game. Game makers need to make their games based on a constant. Now that monitors start to have variable refresh rates, they need to lock the game "clock" to something else.

tygeezy

Aug 28, 2012
If you turn off G-sync what happens for you. Do you notice a difference from just using adaptive V sync with G sync off.

Yes, adaptive vsync you have input lag while v sync is active, when it isn't active because of framerate drop you get tearing.

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
G-sync is great, i think it is an amazing feature. Free Sync probably has the same effect, although i haven't used Free Sync. With G-sync games can run with SGSSAA and DSR and feel very smooth they can even resemble a movie at PAL/NTSC 18, 23.976, 24.97, 25, 29.99 fps. I only lock those framerates when there isn't enough gpu to push 40+ fps. Ideally G-sync 50-100 fps is smoothest. The smoothing and stutter-free & tear-free effects are more noticable to me at lower framerate range of 25-38 fps when being compared to Vsync/adaptive/off. Also I found that framerate limiters set to a ratio using a multiple of the refresh rate have the smoothest effect, and less backlight flicker from refreshing at a lower hz. Theoretically 33.3 fps limit using 100hz. But strangely it ends up being like 31.9 fps or 34.7 fps (for unknown reasons to me). Luckily GTA V ENB has a sensitive dial to limit FPS in increments of 1/1000th ms real time in-game. Gsync has about 8 hidden options + an additional 5-10 undefined options in compatibility bits + game specific profiles.

I recommend testing G-sync with an FPS cap at 28-37 fps (changing your cap 1 frame at a time until finding the smoothest image) and turning your image quality settings to highest. The same effect could be had capping within the range of 64-74 fps on a 144hz G-sync panel. For me, capping at 52 fps on 100hz looks like a 52hz refresh rate, but capping at 50 fps looks like 100hz, 48 fps looks like 96hz... etc.

gta-v-enbseries-2t7szb.jpg

fullscreencapture6620gnsqi.jpg

tygeezy

Aug 28, 2012
G-sync is great, i think it is an amazing feature. Free Sync probably has the same effect, although i haven't used Free Sync. With G-sync games can run with SGSSAA and DSR and feel very smooth they can even resemble a movie at PAL/NTSC 18, 23.976, 24.97, 25, 29.99 fps. I only lock those framerates when there isn't enough gpu to push 40+ fps. Ideally G-sync 50-100 fps is smoothest. The smoothing and stutter-free & tear-free effects are more noticable to me at lower framerate range of 25-38 fps when being compared to Vsync/adaptive/off. Also I found that framerate limiters set to a ratio using a multiple of the refresh rate have the smoothest effect, and less backlight flicker from refreshing at a lower hz. Theoretically 33.3 fps limit using 100hz. But strangely it ends up being like 31.9 fps or 34.7 fps (for unknown reasons to me). Luckily GTA V ENB has a sensitive dial to limit FPS in increments of 1/1000th ms real time in-game. Gsync has about 8 hidden options + an additional 5-10 undefined options in compatibility bits + game specific profiles.

I recommend testing G-sync with an FPS cap at 28-37 fps (changing your cap 1 frame at a time until finding the smoothest image) and turning your image quality settings to highest. The same effect could be had capping within the range of 64-74 fps on a 144hz G-sync panel. For me, capping at 52 fps on 100hz looks like a 52hz refresh rate, but capping at 50 fps looks like 100hz, 48 fps looks like 96hz... etc.

gta-v-enbseries-2t7szb.jpg

fullscreencapture6620gnsqi.jpg

I only cap my framerate at the high end (140 fps). When it goes over that framerate either vsync kicks in resulting in additional input lag or vsync off and you get tearing. This is a preference you can set in the drivers.

The animation will definitely still look smooth with the lower framerates, but gsync won't magically improve on the input lag that is associated with lower framerates :/

The technology is amazing though and is well worth it. The problems associated with vsync and having to run with it off for so many years was a horrible compromise.

If screen tearing never bothered you then I can see why people might think it's disappointing.

Last edited: