Anyone else can't buy beer on Sunday before noon? (or other Blue Laws).

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
So I am getting ready to have my frosted flakes and miller lite and realize I am out of Miller Lite.

I then remember the laws here in florida that forbid the sale of alcoholic beverages before noon (maybe 2pm I forget)....

Anyone esle think these laws are ridiculous?

Å

Supermercado

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
No alcohol at all on Sundays in SC. I want to say that there's one or two counties that don't have that law, but I don't know which ones they are.

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
having an extra fridge solely devoted to storing beer solves this problem

anytime the fridge gets anywhere near empty, restock

this avoids any potential disaster involving lack of beer

Unkempt1

Dec 30, 2003
For the most part there are no alcohol sales on Sunday in Kansas, with very few exceptions. Luckily I live right next to the Missouri border in KC, so beer is no more than 10 minutes away!

McCarthy

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
No sunday alcohol in the city limits, though if I go outside of town I think I can buy beer. No hard liquor anywhere though.

Once upon a time when I was enjoying my last beer at 2am and wondering what else I couldn't go buy right then I called the Sheriff's Department to ask. Auto sales were still allowed, gun sales...asked the deputy sheriff I was speaking to where I might buy a gun at 2am. He told me to try Wal-Mart since they were open 24 hours and he couldn't think of any overnight sales restriction. Then came this odd pause as we both realized what he'd just said and we both hung up.

Oh well, it was funny at the time.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: fatalbert
in Boston, we can't buy alcohol on Sunday at all

Ditto for Connecticut. All beer and package alcohol sales end Saturday at 8pm and don't start again until Monday morning. Bars are open, just no retail sales.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
I agree that these laws are ridiculous. Given also that people are perfectly willing to get around them by keeping a separate fridge stocked with beer, they are also useless. The government should NOT be in the business of legislating morality.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Astaroth33
I agree that these laws are ridiculous. Given also that people are perfectly willing to get around them by keeping a separate fridge stocked with beer, they are also useless. The government should NOT be in the business of legislating morality.

It's no longer a question of morality, but one of economics. Blue laws began as a way to try to curb drinking on Sundays, but now it's the package stores themselves that fight to keep the Blue laws alive. Most package stores are small businesses with minimal employees. Staying open on Sundays would require them to either hire more help or pay OT to those they have. That's bad for the bottom line.

The way things are now, people deal with no Sunday sales by making sure they stock up on Saturday. The stores are not losing business by being closed on Sundays, they're just doing their Sunday business on Saturday. If blue laws got repealed supermarkets would sell on Sunday, so the package stores would also need to sell on Sunday to compete. Supermarkets can sell on Sundays without paying additional wages, they've already got cashiers on duty. A package store doesn't have that advantage.

kmac1914

Golden Member
Apr 2, 2002
I remember wehn we took a road trip to alabama...it was weird not being able to find liquor late on a sunday. I know in baton rouge, it can't be sold after i think 1am. In New Orleans, not so much...you can pretty much get beer and hard liquor anytime. Speaking of which, does anybody else have drive-thru daquiri shops where they live?

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: SuperCommando
No alcohol at all on Sundays in SC. I want to say that there's one or two counties that don't have that law, but I don't know which ones they are.

Only Horry county doesn't have this law anymore (where MB is).

Wozster

Feb 12, 2001
In Missouri they start selling at 9 A.M. and all types of stores (Grocery, Convenience, Department, etc.) can sell any type of alcoholic beverage.

SethK28

Golden Member
Feb 19, 2003
No go in Georgia on Sundays........unless your in a bar/restuarant that serves food

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: SuperCommando

Charleston county and Horry county(Myrtle Beach) :)

No beer for you at Clemson on Sunday :p

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
In connecticut you can't buy alcohol after 8pm on any day, or on Sundays at all. Exception being the bars.

emmpee

Golden Member
Nov 26, 2001
can't buy any booze in PA on sunday, except for SELECT state-run liquor stores (only a handful in the state).

In NY, no booze sales before noon on sunday.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I don't think we have a Sunday law in WI but we can't buy alcohol after 9:00PM any day.

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
Yea, those laws are interesting.

Having been living in CA all my life, those sounds odd.

shimsham

Lifer
May 9, 2002
ride up here to santa rosa county. NO alcohol what so ever on sunday. NO sales of liquor ever, period. thankfully, i only live 1 mile from the escambia county line.

its too bad, santa rosa misses out on a lot of tax revenue, since everyone just drives for a few miles and gives all that money to other counties.