• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Anyone else can't buy beer on Sunday before noon? (or other Blue Laws).

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shimsham

Lifer
May 9, 2002
Originally posted by: dahotboykj
I remember wehn we took a road trip to alabama...it was weird not being able to find liquor late on a sunday. I know in baton rouge, it can't be sold after i think 1am. In New Orleans, not so much...you can pretty much get beer and hard liquor anytime. Speaking of which, does anybody else have drive-thru daquiri shops where they live?
ahhh. sweet home away from home. i miss the crown and anchor in the point.

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
California only has 4 hour downtime a day, 2am-6am. Liquor can be bought at most stores too, not a "liquor store".

Sealy

Platinum Member
Aug 4, 2002
In B.C. not all of our liquor stores are open on Sunday, but some are...not sure on the time exactly. As for cold beer and wine stores, most are open 7days a week from 9am. until 11pm.

oniq

Banned
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Argo
In connecticut you can't buy alcohol after 8pm on any day, or on Sundays at all. Exception being the bars.
Where have you been? Its 9pm now!

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
Same here in Michigan.

I've gone grocery shopping and forgotten many times only to have the clerk tell me that I'll have wait until noon.:|

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Sealy
In B.C. not all of our liquor stores are open on Sunday, but some are...not sure on the time exactly. As for cold beer and wine stores, most are open 7days a week from 9am. until 11pm.
I thought that was in most places, the groceries here carry Dom Perignon and cognacs.....the stores are still open during the 'no alcohol' periods, just not selling that product....

Å

mikebb

May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: alkemyst
I thought that was in most places, the groceries here carry Dom Perignon and cognacs.....the stores are still open during the 'no alcohol' periods, just not selling that product....

Å
I didn't realize FL had laws like that. When I lived in Northern NJ, we had some crazy Blue Laws. For instance, you could sell beer until 2am, but hard liquor only until 10pm. And places like 7-11 never sold beer for some reason. Other dumb county/town Blue Laws included: you could buy nails and other hardware on Sunday, but not the wood to drive them into...it was weird. You would walk into a hardware store and half the aisles would be blocked off, since you couldn't buy the merchandise in them...

cornbread

Jan 4, 2001
Cullman Alabama doesn't allow their Wal-Mart (which is normally open 24 hrs) to be open from midnight saturday night until noon (i think) Sunday.. They're one of the most strict towns on blue laws..
That entire county is dry as well, as well as most surrounding counties.

I'm glad Huntsville finally stepped up to the times and started allowing Sunday sales..Their reason being - they were losing tax dollars to Tennessee, where a lot of people were driving to pick up beer on Sundays..
They did allow resturant/bar sales, but the only thing that encourages is drinkin and drivin..

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: mikebb
Originally posted by: alkemyst

Å
I didn't realize FL had laws like that. When I lived in Northern NJ, we had some crazy Blue Laws. For instance, you could sell beer until 2am, but hard liquor only until 10pm. And places like 7-11 never sold beer for some reason. Other dumb county/town Blue Laws included: you could buy nails and other hardware on Sunday, but not the wood to drive them into...it was weird. You would walk into a hardware store and half the aisles would be blocked off, since you couldn't buy the merchandise in them...
There are 'dry' towns in the rural places (mostly north of orlando). I went to see some girl once as I was passing through on a trip and wanted to pick up some beer and wine before showing up....got a lecture about it from the shop owner, it was as if I landed in alabama somewhere. Someone told me a place to buy stuff about 5 miles up the road.

Å

ASK THE COMMUNITY