Anyone done LISS for leaning/cutting up?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I have been bulking quite a bit the past few months since my shoulder has been feeling almost 100% and I can put up more weight now, but around February or so I plan on trying to lean up a bit and lose some of the fat I've put on. I've basically been dirty bulking and just eating whatever I want. I'm probably around 213-215lbs or so right now, 5'11, and I just turned 42. I want to get back down to like 205 when I start cutting but want to obviously do it losing as little muscle mass as I can. If I get there and still not as lean as I want to be but haven't lost much size, I will probably keep going.

In the past I usually would just eat cleaner to lose my weight and I had decent success. However I haven't gotten to this size since I was like in my late 20's or early 30's, so I want to throw in some cardio. I've done HIIT before and it's tough, and it's also tough to do at home. I have a treadmill at home and will be doing my cardio on that, so I thought maybe LISS would be good for that. I've been reading a bit about it and I think doing like 20-30 mins a day on top of my eating could be good for me to help with losing the fat but keep the muscle.

I am curious if anyone who bulks/cuts has done this before when cutting, and curious to see what kind of results you had with it. My main issue when I start cutting is losing some of my muscle mass and strength, so I am going to try and cut out all the junk food but not my total intake by too much, but hoping the LISS could help shed some of the fat while keeping my size.

Jun 18, 2000
Do share if it works for you. I never had good luck cutting. I always ended up about where I started strengthwise before packing on mass.

But I'm in your age range and can't really work out consistently any more without hurting something so bulking in general doesn't seem worth it.

Reactions: highland145

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
LISS is a great way to burn extra calories while trying to cut while also minimizing muscle loss.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Well I've been doing LISS for like 3 weeks or so now. I do it Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, which are my off days from lifting. I've been going on the treadmill for 25 mins on 12 incline. I do 2.5mph for 5 mins then bump it up to 3mph for the last 20 mins. It is harder than I thought but it's been getting progressively easier. Like after 7-10 mins my legs are warmed up and it doesn't feel uncomfortable at all. I could go longer but get kinda bored even though I'm watching TV the whole time. I am dripping sweat like 10 mins into it too.

I was 217 and change when I started trying to lean up and this past week I was 213 and some change. My goal is to lose 1.5 - 2 pounds a week so I'm pretty on pace. I'm trying to keep as much muscle and strength as I can while leaning up. So far my strength hasn't really gone down at all really but I also haven't lost much. I am hoping to see how lean I am looking if I get to like 205 or so.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

That and holding weights until your muscles give out ensures not only good calorie burn but also stimulates muscle growth.
Yeah I'm going to disagree with your comments lol.

That article (which is nothing but a fluff piece with no actual backed up information about anything you claim) says it can take months to be able to hold that stance for 2 minutes.

You aren't burning jack shit standing still for 2 minutes, nor stimulating any kind of muscle growth.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER
Jul 27, 2020
You aren't burning jack shit standing still for 2 minutes, nor stimulating any kind of muscle growth.
Just try it. That's a very hard stance to hold. It engages a lot of muscles all at once, causing a lot of extra blood and nutrients to start flowing to them which obviously increases calorie burn. With time, the body realizes that you aren't giving up and this stress is not going away so it will adapt and that adaptation will be boosting growth to increase strength and lean muscle mass. This will lead to increased basal metabolic rate.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Just try it. That's a very hard stance to hold. It engages a lot of muscles all at once, causing a lot of extra blood and nutrients to start flowing to them which obviously increases calorie burn. With time, the body realizes that you aren't giving up and this stress is not going away so it will adapt and that adaptation will be boosting growth to increase strength and lean muscle mass. This will lead to increased basal metabolic rate.

Yeah I will continue to disagree with your take on this lol.

Stand like that for 2 minutes a day and let me know how much muscle mass you gain and how much fat you lost.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Interestingly, I came across this recently on GMB and have been doing it. Except I’m doing it more my style. I’m point my toes more out at like a 45, and going down, hold for 5 count, up, then repeat 5 times. It’s a great move for myself because it activate the rear muscle chain it a way that other moves don’t. My left side hammys especially.

I just look at overall time under tension and build from there. I could probably hold for 30-45 seconds, maybe even 60.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
You're trying to make this way harder than it is.

Eat lean protein, vegetables, and drastically reduce the carbs while maintaining whatever level and type of exercise that targets the muscle retention you want. Junk food, no need to tell you not to eat it. Some things are obvious.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
You're trying to make this way harder than it is.

Eat lean protein, vegetables, and drastically reduce the carbs while maintaining whatever level and type of exercise that targets the muscle retention you want. Junk food, no need to tell you not to eat it. Some things are obvious.
I am definitely not cutting as many carbs as I usually do when I would try to lean up because I still want to have the energy to try and keep my strength up to what it was when I started to lose weight. So far I haven't really lost strength but have lost 7lbs and my belt notch is over 1 hole and feels just as comfortable so there is progress. I have noticed though some of my heavier lifts on bench press have gone down by like 1 rep one week and then the next it will be back. I did mess with hand placement too though so that may have effected it a bit.

I am not really making gains right now in shoulders or chest, however my squat has gone up ever so slightly and I changed up my bicep workout almost completely so it's kind of hard to say where that is staying. Triceps and back I'd also say are about the same, although I have changed my back workout up a bit as well.

Jul 27, 2020
I am not really making gains right now in shoulders or chest

You should try his philosophy. He became huge with his theory of keeping the focus on keeping muscles flexed until they gave out. That, according to him, is the quickest way to for massive muscle gains.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001

You should try his philosophy. He became huge with his theory of keeping the focus on keeping muscles flexed until they gave out. That, according to him, is the quickest way to for massive muscle gains.
As a 42 year old who is probably already more muscular than like 95% of people my age, I am not looking for massive muscle gains and not in any kind of quick way lol.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
As far as LISS training, what’s your preference? I’m into biking, skating, hiking, sled push / pulls

I recently found the “busy dad” program. It’s just burpees and navy seals for x amount of time and how many. Those things are exhausting lol, but you can space it out. Like 50 6 count burpees in 20 minutes. 20 navy seals in 5 minutes, etc… I think these things would really shed some weight while staying lean, keeping your heart rate at like 60% spacing out some burpees would fit, I’ve considered doing this winter but been lazy :p

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
As far as LISS training, what’s your preference? I’m into biking, skating, hiking, sled push / pulls

I recently found the “busy dad” program. It’s just burpees and navy seals for x amount of time and how many. Those things are exhausting lol, but you can space it out. Like 50 6 count burpees in 20 minutes. 20 navy seals in 5 minutes, etc… I think these things would really shed some weight while staying lean, keeping your heart rate at like 60% spacing out some burpees would fit, I’ve considered doing this winter but been lazy :p
Read post #4.

• Haha

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Yeah I will continue to disagree with your take on this lol.

Stand like that for 2 minutes a day and let me know how much muscle mass you gain and how much fat you lost.
Kata is great for calorie burning, but it isn't going to result in hypertrophy for athletic people. There will be some for people that were couch potatoes. Kobudo which involves weapons, can get a bit more hypertrophy yet for some folks. But for people that lift regularly it is basically LISS to HIIT depending on your skill and intensity level. Top competitors are definitely in the HIIT zone when they do kata. Most of the time when teaching it, students are in LISS mode. Once they have it down, then it becomes HIIT for most of them. Alternating full HAM with walking through and focusing on proper form and technique.

That 2 minute horse stance horse shit is just that. Always some mystical kung fu powers nonsense. Karate is almost as bad. They can get someone in great shape, but not just from holding kiba-dachi a couple of minutes.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Do share if it works for you. I never had good luck cutting. I always ended up about where I started strengthwise before packing on mass.

But I'm in your age range and can't really work out consistently any more without hurting something so bulking in general doesn't seem worth it.
So I've now been cutting since like mid/late February. I've gone from 217-218 to 204 last Thursday when I weighed myself. There was a period of like 2-3 weeks where I wasn't really losing anything and that is when I decided to cut out the rice I was eating with dinner and since then I've been pretty consistently losing 1-1.5lbs a week.

I am doing LISS Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and am walking at 3.0mph on a 12 incline for 25 minutes. That is all the cardio I am doing at this point. I am still lifting Monday - Thursday at a pretty high intensity.

My strength has BASICALLY stayed the same as it was prior. I have changed up my routine slightly so that I am now focusing on the eccentric more and going slower on the eccentric, and in doing so I had to drop weight a bit to accomplish this. But I have also noticed that my joints and aches I used to have from basically ego lifting with worse form have definitely gone down quite a bit. I've also seen my squats go up a bit in strength but I am also having some knee issues like every other week right now which has been annoying.

But like with my shoulder presses, instead of getting 90lb on my heaviest set 5-6 times, I am now getting it 4 times. I am finishing out with repping out 80's though after those heavier sets, which I used to not do so I almost feel this is a wash.

Then for my chest presses I have switched to doing incline barbell first then dumbell flat after to help with my shoulder that was starting to bother me, and on my incline barbell I'm basically staying where I was prior but my dumbell presses are slightly going up but as mentioned, I'm focusing a lot more on the eccentric motion and going more controled/slower than exploding up.

As mentioned my legs seem to be getting somewhat stronger with this focus but trying to work through some nagging knee pains. Nothing super bad but when it starts aching I will just stop for the day and not risk it. Last week I went a little lighter and didn't have any pain so we'll se how that goes tomorrow. One time my left knee was bothering me so much after squats that I couldn't even do light quad extensions. Then later that day it hurt to bend my leg. But like the next day it was nearly fine so I don't know.

All in all I want to still try to get to 200lbs and see how I look/feel then. I definitely can tell I've leaned up and my belt has moved over 2 notches comfortably. I also "feel" better and tighter around my waste and can feel my abs big time under a little layer of fat that I have there. I can also see my abs though but again, through a layer of fat that would be nice to get rid of if I can.

So I'm going to just continue doing what I am doing and see if I continue to slowly lose the lbs and lean up while keeping strength.

Reactions: Mr.IncrediblyBored
Jul 27, 2020
but trying to work through some nagging knee pains. Nothing super bad but when it starts aching I will just stop for the day and not risk it. Last week I went a little lighter and didn't have any pain so we'll se how that goes tomorrow. One time my left knee was bothering me so much after squats that I couldn't even do light quad extensions. Then later that day it hurt to bend my leg. But like the next day it was nearly fine so I don't know.
Recurring knee pain shouldn't be ignored. Try backward walking or look up some exercises on the Squat University Youtube channel.

Here's one: https://www.instagram.com/squat_university/reel/C6cZ1skgblS/

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Recurring knee pain shouldn't be ignored. Try backward walking or look up some exercises on the Squat University Youtube channel.

Here's one: https://www.instagram.com/squat_university/reel/C6cZ1skgblS/

Indeed, for my knee pain which I had in my left knee most of my life due to injury at 13, knees over toes program has been a game changer. The Hip mobilization piece has also been huge for me. My hips were so tight and weak a few years ago that I could barely pick up something off the floor (I was only 40). I haven't done the stuff that this guy in the video is showing except for the touchdowns, but I did buy a 4th anchor gym bracket and mount it roughly hip height so I could.

Last edited:

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Is the pain centralized or general? Do certain motions while it’s hurting cause it discomfort or increase the pain? Could help in identifying the weak link before doing bigger damage to a ligament

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Is the pain centralized or general? Do certain motions while it’s hurting cause it discomfort or increase the pain? Could help in identifying the weak link before doing bigger damage to a ligament
It's right below my knee cap and starts hurting the more I bend my knee. It will be tender to the point I can press it with my finger and can feel some tenderness.

But again, it's nagging. Like right now I don't even have it. It is triggered by when I am lifting and doesn't always happen. I am doing legs today so I'll see how it goes.

Last week I stuck with weight I could do 8 reps of pretty easily since the week before I did some that aggravated it more than ever, and it felt fine. Depending how it feels today once I have warmed up, I may end up doing the same. I'll just play it by feel.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Ok that’s pretty specific which is good. From my travels, the most common thought is static holds will help with patellar tendon type problems, which sounds like what you’re describing. There was a really good link I found and if I can locate it then will send your way

Edit :Got it, saved in bookmarks