Anyone cleaned shattered colorwheel shards from samsung dlp unit

jensenp

Nov 20, 2012
Bought samsung 61 inch DLP in 2004.
I had been hearing barely audible slightly scratchy whirr or humm for several weeks to a month - yesterday heard a very loud scratchy whirr or humm for a few seconds, then a crash/pop shound and color went to B&W with sound a bit quieter - turned set off immediatly - have removed color wheel from unit after watching the 5-part YouTube video by user hexagontaginal.

There was very little of the actual color wheel left on the spindle unit - most was in the curved chassis space below where the color wheel assembly is mounted - not difficult to clean - used vacuum with narrowest attachment - some shards were stuck way up in the area you can peer into where I think the mirror is located - removed all wires connecting the entire remaining assembly and vigorously shook the unit to loosen and drop shards that may have been lodged in the hard to get to space(s) - several pieces came out - can still see what I think are either pieces of the color wheel or perhaps the mirror - I don't know - have ordered a new color wheel and will attempt to start the TV up after putting it back together again - will report results a few days from now after replacement color wheel arrives.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
I did it to mine. Also an 04 model.

The cleaning wasn't a big deal. Taking all that crap out was.

I blew mine out with compressed air.