Anyone buy from accessories4less(dot)com? I did..... Maybe don't???

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I've browsed their site before, perusing "XX (Denon/Yamaha/Marantz/you-name-it) certified factory refurbished" junk.

But have had a hankering to get back into vinyl and they have a "Denon Factory Refurbished" DP-300F turntable. (Fully auto...my eyes are getting bad enough that I don't trust my hand/eye coordination laying a needle on the runin groove of an album.)

Website implicitly promises "like-new!" and indistinguishable from new refurb......so I bit. Was $220 vs. the $420 retail for new (at the time...new has dropped to $320....grrrr)

It arrived yesterday. The box promised (implied in ad it was a Denon retail box) was just crappy cardboard with DP300 proudly emblazoned on the side...in Magic Marker. The cartridge promised was indeed mounted on the tonearm....just is missing the stylus. Also missing are the 45 rpm adapter and the turntable sheet (protractor). The dust cover is quite used...scratched in stripes and missing one of the corner rubber bumpers.

Well, now trying to get it returned. If this is an example of Denon Factory Refurb products, I'm avoiding Denon. Of course, this could simply be a problem from the online retailer, so I'm herewith avoiding accessories4less.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
I bought a component (Monster power center) from them about 16 years ago, they had great ratings.
It was listed as "Brand New". It was refurbished. Wrapped in Bubble wrap in the retail box. Serial on Box didn't match the unit either. It was like new, but I returned it.

It was a hassle to get them to send a return label as well. They insisted they didn't even have the item as refurbished, only new...

Last edited:

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Over past 11 years bought 3 expensive items from them all over $500. No issues. I think one was refurbished.

Getting anything "refurbished" over past 10 years or so electronic wise has been I think an even 50% experience. There are many "re-sale" outfits not that all they do is repackage and resend. They have a shirt list if items that should be in the box and if it was sent back without known issues it just gets inspected for visual damage and missing parts and resold...

I won't buy refurbished unless I have a high confidence that I can send it back without trouble. Especially if it is something I want to be better than 90%...

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Well, got a “return” label from them…was just my invoice. No return label. Grrrrr….

On the other hand, got a cheapie tt cheap. Audio-Technica AT-LP3 for $125 shipped. Got an Amazon “Used-Like New” Ortofon Red cart yesterday and darned if it was even opened before I got it. Got a 10x jeweler’s loop and cannot see a speck of dust/dirt on needle. Beautifully pristine. $67.

So I guess not all is lost. 🤪

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Well, got a “return” label from them…was just my invoice. No return label. Grrrrr….

On the other hand, got a cheapie tt cheap. Audio-Technica AT-LP3 for $125 shipped. Got an Amazon “Used-Like New” Ortofon Red cart yesterday and darned if it was even opened before I got it. Got a 10x jeweler’s loop and cannot see a speck of dust/dirt on needle. Beautifully pristine. $67.

So I guess not all is lost. 🤪

All is lost when you went back to vinyl.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
All is lost when you went back to vinyl.

I’ve about 200 albums that I’ve had since the ‘70’s so don’t think I’m going down the “lost” path. CD’s were/are vastly easier and streaming is ultra convenient, but vinyl still sounds better than cd/streaming. Totally lossless. imho. 🙂

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I’ve about 200 albums that I’ve had since the ‘70’s so don’t think I’m going down the “lost” path. CD’s were/are vastly easier and streaming is ultra convenient, but vinyl still sounds better than cd/streaming. Totally lossless. imho. 🙂

Every time you play it or clean it you are wearing the grooves. Plus the dynamic range is small to start with. I don't miss the click and pops.

<--- grew up in a electronics retailer/mid level distributor. We had four quadrophonic system hooked up in the showroom.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Every time you play it or clean it you are wearing the grooves. Plus the dynamic range is small to start with. I don't miss the click and pops.

<--- grew up in a electronics retailer/mid level distributor. We had four quadrophonic system hooked up in the showroom.
Exactly!!! I do more streaming now than playing CDs, but I could never go back to records.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

I'd be really interested to hear your opinion on going back to vinyl. I personally have about 12-15 feet of shelf space of albums that I bought from roughly 1967 through the late 80s. I prided myself on taking decent care of my albums but admittedly they were played a lot, and a lot in party environments. They have been untouched on shelves in the basement since roughly 1988. About two years ago (when my wife was away for awhile) I dug out my old turntable, got a new cartridge and spent a full weekend cleaning a couple hundred of the albums. Even got a brand new OOS 45 when I bought some new record sleeves. I was not happy with the results-even on albums I knew I had only played once or twice when I got them (I used to frequent the cutout bins). I do have a few records that never made it to CD (as far as I know), those are about the only ones I'd listen to again. Give me FLAC files or redbook CD any day.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Only 200? pft, amateur. :)

I still have my first album I bought in 1969 as a 5 year old. CCR, Willy and the poor boys. Still play it today. Have around 4k albums and even more 45s.