Anyone buy a new car lately during the chip shortage? I did. Update 1/27/22 - Now no limit on prices

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Saw that video yesterday. Those are the prices people pay to get a marked up one directly off the lot. Those people want a car right now. They either have a lot of money and don't care, or are terrible with money and finance the markup and don't care.

It's still somewhat easy to get a new vehicle at MSRP. It takes going to the right dealer and then waiting a very long time. My R8 order was placed mid July. That only put me on an order acceptance waiting list. I moved up from that waiting list to a build waiting list last month. The build will happen at the end of next month with delivery at the end of April. Even delivery times are extended with shipping taking a lot longer. A used base 2017 R8 is selling for more than what I'll be paying for my new 2022 R8 RWD. Just have to wait 9 months for it.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I agree some dealerships are just straight up crazy with their pricing on desirable vehicles but not all of them. We just purchased a 2022 Maverick that we ordered back in June and the dealer we chose(Uftring Ford)charged us MSRP minus $2200 for the AWD system.

So not all of them are crooked I'd imagine most aren't but it's the crooked ones that get all the attention by media outlets because it makes for a better sounding story.

"Dealer charges WHAT for new Bronco!?!?!?!" or "Dealer charges MSRP for new Bronco". Which headline do you think will get more clicks?

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I agree some dealerships are just straight up crazy with their pricing on desirable vehicles but not all of them. We just purchased a 2022 Maverick that we ordered back in June and the dealer we chose(Uftring Ford)charged us MSRP minus $2200 for the AWD system.

So not all of them are crooked I'd imagine most aren't but it's the crooked ones that get all the attention by media outlets because it makes for a better sounding story.

"Dealer charges WHAT for new Bronco!?!?!?!" or "Dealer charges MSRP for new Bronco". Which headline do you think will get more clicks?

Maybe you buy Mavericks and sell them for a smaller markup in those areas.

You can say "psst...hey buddy...wanna buy a car?"

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
The pricing on new cars and electronics has really taken the wind out of my sails. I was lucky to get the hot ticket electronics at original MSRP, but have a huge mental block about paying more. Cars are even worse and if it wasn't for Tesla selling direct to consumer, I don't know what I would be driving. I really like the C8 Corvette and new M3/4, but no way in hell would I pay over $100k for either of them. Dealerships were already bad enough to deal with, but now they hold the cards if you absolutely need a vehicle, even used.