Anyone bought a Eurail pass before?

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
I used Eurail when we traveled to Europe this past Sept. Had some problems with them getting the names and countries right on the passes, but they made good in the end.

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003
Correct me if I'm wrong but Raileurope is just a middleman between you and Eurail.

Plane tickets are cheaper anyway, although I do understand the advantages of the pass and used one myself.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: chrisms
Correct me if I'm wrong but Raileurope is just a middleman between you and Eurail.

Plane tickets are cheaper anyway, although I do understand the advantages of the pass and used one myself.

Planes don't fly in-between the cities were going to, otherwise i would totally easyjet/ryanair it up :)

Dec 4, 2002
I debated buying one before I left for my trip. I heard about "cheap" flights and decided I could hold off. You can buy them in Europe quite easily. I get there, and my first time I needed to travel I got a cheap flight. Flew from the southern tip of Spain to Madrid and then to Rome for ~$100 USD. In Italy, the train tickets were very cheap IMO. The further North I went in Italy the more expensive the tickets got. Finally, in Switzerland, I bought a Eurail pass for the remainder of my trip.

If you hear of extremely cheap airfare, don't be *so* into it. "$1" flights usually have $40+ processing fees and such. You have to fly very early in the morning, or very late at night. They only go between certain cities.

aphex

Jul 19, 2001

aphex

Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Mike
I debated buying one before I left for my trip. I heard about "cheap" flights and decided I could hold off. You can buy them in Europe quite easily. I get there, and my first time I needed to travel I got a cheap flight. Flew from the southern tip of Spain to Madrid and then to Rome for ~$100 USD. In Italy, the train tickets were very cheap IMO. The further North I went in Italy the more expensive the tickets got. Finally, in Switzerland, I bought a Eurail pass for the remainder of my trip.

If you hear of extremely cheap airfare, don't be *so* into it. "$1" flights usually have $40+ processing fees and such. You have to fly very early in the morning, or very late at night. They only go between certain cities.

I flew from Holland to Switzerland for $50 round trip back 2002, but the train from Geneva to Interlaken (roughly 3 hours) was $130 :)

Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: aphex
Originally posted by: Mike

I flew from Holland to Switzerland for $50 round trip back 2002, but the train from Geneva to Interlaken (roughly 3 hours) was $130 :)

Im sure there are deals to be had, there just not a prevalent as everyone makes them out to be...at least in the summer.