Discussion Anyone born before 1975, would you relive it with no internet or cell phones?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
A couple years ago I had a job in a subdivision. It was a fairly long drive to get back to where I needed to be. It was about 10am, and it wasn't oppressively hot that day. No traffic cause it didn't go anywhere. If there was a vehicle, it was there for one of the houses. I didn't see a single kid playing outside; zero. It really struck me that day, and it was really weird. Lots of things to do outside with big lots and quiet streets, but no one was taking advantage of it. And it's a big mystery why kids are fat these days...
I see kids in my neighborhood outside playing regularly, IDK. Riding bikes, walking around the neighborhood, out in the forest where I'm hiking. Always kids playing at the park when we go as well.
A few weeks back a kid whizzed past me on a scooter, blasting ABBA from a Bluetooth speaker, thought that was kinda funny.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Since backward time travel is impossible, who would want to go forward 77 years to 2100 instead? Will probably be 10 degrees hotter with people watering their crops with Gatorade.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Since backward time travel is impossible, who would want to go forward 77 years to 2100 instead? Will probably be 10 degrees hotter with people watering their crops with Gatorade.
Nah. 77 years isn't enough to be really interesting. 577 years you're getting my attention. 1077 years, I'm pretty sure I'd sign up.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

100% No to that! Global warming ought to terrible by then. Food and water shortages (US should be okay if we are still a rich country). Of course, we could be hit by and asteroid by then or some world leader could have gotten overly excited launched some nukes - and the barrages to follow leave a good chunk of the 'civilized' world's cities smoldering.

I think @lxskllr 1077 year time jump could easily be a post human Earth (so bring some really good hunting gear).

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris
Nov 17, 2019
In the year 9595 I'm kinda wonderin' if man is gonna be alive
He's taken everything this old earth can give
And he ain't put back nothing
Now it's been ten thousand years
Man has cried a billion tears
For what, he never knew, now man's reign is through

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
100% No to that! Global warming ought to terrible by then. Food and water shortages (US should be okay if we are still a rich country). Of course, we could be hit by and asteroid by then or some world leader could have gotten overly excited launched some nukes - and the barrages to follow leave a good chunk of the 'civilized' world's cities smoldering.

I think @lxskllr 1077 year time jump could easily be a post human Earth (so bring some really good hunting gear).
US ain't a rich county just because it's controlled by rich and untaxable people. How ok are a lot of Americans right now? Look at food inflation this minute when food is plentiful. Now imagine it when we're in a global warming induced famine. America will be happy with millions dying of starvation just like the ruling class was with millions dying of COVID.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
As long as I can take the apoet almanac back, who cares about internet and cellphone.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
US ain't a rich county just because it's controlled by rich and untaxable people. How ok are a lot of Americans right now? Look at food inflation this minute when food is plentiful. Now imagine it when we're in a global warming induced famine. America will be happy with millions dying of starvation just like the ruling class was with millions dying of COVID.
Sigh. Skewed a bit by the ultra wealthy - sure, but all of these first world countries are.1693311704713.jpeg

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Sigh. Skewed a bit by the ultra wealthy - sure, but all of these first world countries are.
Skewed a bit? That's rich. You have already seen how this nation handled COVID and you think there is any hope the ruling class is going to start caring about the people it dominates when there is famine and actual scarcity?

Reactions: pmv and [DHT]Osiris

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
As someone born in 75 we had internet by the time I was 5. An acoustically coupled 300 baud modem and a dumb terminal so my mom could telnet into school and work. The benefits of having a computer scientist for a mom. She'd occasionally let me play Rogue or Colossal Cavern on it.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Sigh. Skewed a bit by the ultra wealthy - sure, but all of these first world countries are.View attachment 85004

That's raw GDP/capita, though - it doesn't look at distribution or the median income/wealth.

Kind of appropriate/ironic that this article is paywalled

Starting at the top of the ladder, Britons enjoy very high living standards by virtually any benchmark. Last year the top-earning 3 per cent of UK households each took home about £84,000 after tax, equivalent to $125,000 after adjusting for price differences between countries. This puts Britain’s highest earners narrowly behind the wealthiest Germans and Norwegians and comfortably among the global elite.
So what happens when we move down the rungs? For Norway, it’s a consistently rosy picture. The top 10 per cent rank second for living standards among the top deciles in all countries; the median Norwegian household ranks second among all national averages, and all the way down at the other end, Norway’s poorest 5 per cent are the most prosperous bottom 5 per cent in the world. Norway is a good place to live, whether you are rich or poor.
Britain is a different story. While the top earners rank fifth, the average household ranks 12th and the poorest 5 per cent rank 15th. Far from simply losing touch with their western European peers, last year the lowest-earning bracket of British households had a standard of living that was 20 per cent weaker than their counterparts in Slovenia.

...and that predates the current "cost of living crisis" where we have higher inflation than almost any other European country.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
That's raw GDP/capita, though - it doesn't look at distribution or the median income/wealth.

Kind of appropriate/ironic that this article is paywalled

...and that predates the current "cost of living crisis" where we have higher inflation than almost any other European country.
Yeah, I didn't want to go into it more because this is OT and not P&N. These sort of conversations tend to go off the rails and wreck the thread.

Reactions: pmv

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Nah. 77 years isn't enough to be really interesting. 577 years you're getting my attention. 1077 years, I'm pretty sure I'd sign up.

Would this help?

That or a Klingon Time Crystal.

If I've learned anything about time travel is that you are better off either going back in the past or staying where you are.

Going to the future is likely not going to be good as society is doomed.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'm old. Old enough anyway. 1k years is interesting. I could die at work, and that isn't very interesting. At least going way forward, you have a chance to see something cool, and maybe we will have faster than light travel. I could pay my way by regaling the inhabitants with tales of Ye Olden Times™. Either that, or the atmosphere got stripped by some stupid weapon or something, and you die almost instantly. There's worse ways to go.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Life was fun and interesting back then. There were plenty of toys in the 60's - 70's not to mention bike riding and hanging out and doing stuff outside in the summer. The winter was a different story.

I miss watching old sci-fi and horror movies on Saturday afternoons here - SuperHost and Sir Graves Ghastly.

I was into BMX bikes myself. Soccer and BMX bikes were my passion back then.

Remember that movie called RAD which came out in 1986? I loved that movie back then. There was one with Nicole Kidman as well when she was just starting out acting in Australia.

I miss late night scary shows like the OUTER LIMITS and TALES FROM THE DARK SIDE.

I missed the GI JOE and Transformer cartoons back then as well when I like 12 or 13.

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Would this help?

That or a Klingon Time Crystal.

If I've learned anything about time travel is that you are better off either going back in the past or staying where you are.

Going to the future is likely not going to be good as society is doomed.

Exactly!! Not interested in the future at all for time travel.

Anyone here on forums or on Earth who has a child just born in 2023 or after. Will those kids GRANDCHILDREN only read about extinct species like whales and other creatures in books? Will shrimp or lobster be extinct? Too rare to find?

For anyone who has a child born today, I fear for their grandchildren in the future who might see a worse environment than we have it now.

Yes, awesome technology 100 years or more from now. But, at what cost to the planet?

Reactions: FelixDeCat