Anyone bored with BF3?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
LOL! Patrick Bach recently gave an interview in which he proudly declared they "nailed" BF3. Over on EA UK, there was a thread denouncing this, and a poll thread, the thread disappeared and the poll thread just got locked after the poll had reached 363 votes for "No, they screwed it, not nailed it", and 32 votes for "Yes, it is a true successor to BF2". Nice censorship, EA.

If you read the interview, DICE said that they nailed in regard to what they were trying to achieve--marrying tactical gameplay with accessibility, which I agree, they did achieve that. I did not see the poll posted on the forums, but I'd imagine it's full of whiny trolls crying about how it's nothing like BF2 blah blah, as expected because the interweb is full of them. People who enjoys the game are too busy playing it to get on the forums and cry.

I do agree BF3 has some pretty shitty implementations, but the game is pretty damn good and fun in everything else that the good really outshines the bad. The game itself is light years beyond any other competitive shooters that are out there right now.

For me personally, one of the things that keep me coming back to the game is the random cinematic experience that I encounter: Running down a street and an RPG whooshing by my head in full surround sound and exploding on the building behind me, ears still ringing as I'm screaming "HOLY SHIT" to myself. Or being chased by a helicopter and I'm sprinting for my life trying to get inside a building just so I can escape the hail of bullets behind my feet. I'm sorry but shit like that is just too fucking cool to make this game boring.

Last edited:

satsau

Aug 11, 2011
I suck balls at bf3 like a 1/3 k/d ratio. :( I still have a blast though

haha, that was me, but even lower, .22 K/D for so long.

it got better though, I'm now up to .50 K/D but still can't fly a heli/jet for the life of me.

And I don't think I can ever get bored of Caspian/Firestorm.. those maps are so focking awesome, especially when everyone is trying to cap flag C!!!

Clinkster

Aug 5, 2009
Wait, I thought this was the true BF successor? :confused:

Looks like I might be waiting for another $5 sale after all. :\

Hardly. There's no commander or commander related buildings to take out, it has the four classes from BC2 (tweaked around), squads are limited to 4 man, guns reload by round and not by magazine, most of the maps (pre-B2K) are small (encouraging spammy CoD style run-and-gun gameplay), no modding ability (lol Project Reality), no VOIP...

It's a big improvement on BC2, but not a successor to BF2.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
If you read the interview, DICE said that they nailed in regard to what they were trying to achieve--marrying tactical gameplay with accessibility, which I agree, they did achieve that. I did not see the poll posted on the forums, but I'd imagine it's full of whiny trolls crying about how it's nothing like BF2 blah blah, as expected because the interweb is full of them. People who enjoys the game are too busy playing it to get on the forums and cry.

I do agree BF3 has some pretty shitty implementations, but the game is pretty damn good and fun in everything else that the good really outshines the bad. The game itself is light years beyond any other competitive shooters that are out there right now.

Even if we factor out the BF2 fanboys like myself, you raise a very good point. Specific issues such as 3D spotting, and so forth, just because people play the game and don't go to forums to complain does not mean they like everything about the game. The game thus falls short of what it could be, and the fact that it's successful is no reason to just disregard what people think. This is why they should be using their new Battlelog tool that everyone is forced to use, as a vehicle for polling the entire playerbase on game aspects for BF4.

Imagine how happy everyone could be if they did. Even Mordor.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I've moved onto Skyrim right now. I really enjoyed BF3 but Skyrim has taken over my gaming time now.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Even if we factor out the BF2 fanboys like myself, you raise a very good point. Specific issues such as 3D spotting, and so forth, just because people play the game and don't go to forums to complain does not mean they like everything about the game. The game thus falls short of what it could be, and the fact that it's successful is no reason to just disregard what people think. This is why they should be using their new Battlelog tool that everyone is forced to use, as a vehicle for polling the entire playerbase on game aspects for BF4.

Imagine how happy everyone could be if they did. Even Mordor.

Well the main point I'm trying to make is that all these players that are crying are just being over-dramatic little school girls. Their narrow method of thinking is that BF3 is shitty just because the game did not have all the implementations of BF2. I will say that the game could be so, so much more if they bring in all the bells and whistle, but really, as it stands, the game is pretty damn awesome still. But this goes for any game--Skyrim could be twice as awesome if it has twice the amount of content if Bethesda wasn't so lazy and spent more time implementing shit.

Let's talk about VOIP. While I myself wish the game has built in VOIP, but is it really necessary? If you play other online shooters both on PC and consoles that have voice chat, do you ever hear people actually using it as a tool for teamwork? 99% of the time I only hear dumbasses crying and screaming. Most of the time, people who are actually going for teamwork already are already using 3rd party voice software. I know this does not address the issue of the developer not delivering on features for a game, but it does make me wonder that if VOIP is implemented, will people actually use it, or are people crying because they need something to cry about.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Well the main point I'm trying to make is that all these players that are crying are just being over-dramatic little school girls. Their narrow method of thinking is that BF3 is shitty just because the game did not have all the implementations of BF2. I will say that the game could be so, so much more if they bring in all the bells and whistle, but really, as it stands, the game is pretty damn awesome still. But this goes for any game--Skyrim could be twice as awesome if it has twice the amount of content if Bethesda wasn't so lazy and spent more time implementing shit.

Let's talk about VOIP. While I myself wish the game has built in VOIP, but is it really necessary? If you play other online shooters both on PC and consoles that have voice chat, do you ever hear people actually using it as a tool for teamwork? 99% of the time I only hear dumbasses crying and screaming. Most of the time, people who are actually going for teamwork already are already using 3rd party voice software. I know this does not address the issue of the developer not delivering on features for a game, but it does make me wonder that if VOIP is implemented, will people actually use it, or are people crying because they need something to cry about.

In BF2 we use VOIP persistently.

In BF3, the TTK is so low, flags so packed within the map, and the game pace so fast there is little point to either commo rose or VOIP and in teamspeak we don't even bother to communicate much about the game, just say "haha knifed you". Even if we don't microanalyze the things that led to this, this is not the game pacing BF2 players want. And there is no viable alternative. Can't go to CoD, can't go anywhere. Maybe Planetside 2(a lot of BF2 fanboys hate futuristic theme, I however do not).

felang

Feb 17, 2007
I was playing about 3-4 nights a week when it first came out but haven´t touched it since mid december.

I play exclusively assault class and don´t really use vehicles so I know I´m missing out on other aspects of the game though...

I think I just needed a break and will probably start again soon...

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
I played BC2 after getting it for $5 on Steam. I plan on following a similar plan with BF3 (obviously not waiting for it to get as low as $5, but cheaper than it is now). I'm also pretty sure I will like BF3 more than BC2.

I loved BC2 from the Beta on. Coming into a game when it's been out for over a year isn't worth the hastle.

I've moved onto Skyrim right now. I really enjoyed BF3 but Skyrim has taken over my gaming time now.

How good is Skyrim? I think it might be my next game

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I've said this multiple times, but I think a couple of new game modes would go a LOOOOONG way towards making more people happy.

My ideas :

(1)- Have an option that tickets can never go to zero until everyone has been killed off (to balance this, if the guy hasn't been spotted/is just camping somewhere, have him light up on the map for the enemy team after X amount of minutes).

and

(2)- Have a limited spawn mode for players and vehicles. It's supremely unrewarding to work hard as a squad, kill off a heli, two tanks, an enemy squad, and after advancing 50 meters meeting all of most of them immediately again for another clusterf*ck of an engagement. Sure it's fast paced, but it blurs the line between tactical battle into just spam. Particularly bad in this regard is the 64-player servers with instant vehicles. Ugh.

If you had player lives at 3 total (or even optional 1 for super hardcore), supply, medics and teamwork would become extremely important, and limiting vehicles to something like 1 of each aircraft, 2 of each tank/lav, and 3 of each jeep/buggy would give a ton of value to both protecting them and taking the enemies out. Instead of just flag hopping for 30 minutes of endless spam, you could coordinate to do real damage to the enemy and take territory with a truly strategic goal.

I think these should just be options, and they would be incredibly easy to implement. I know I'd love to see them, anyone else?

(2)- Have a game mode

Cobalt

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2000
I get bored with it if I play it too much straight but after a break I'm ready to get back into it. Just like counter strike - no matter how many times you play dust2 just never gets old :)

Lol I just built a new PC and got a new monitor to get back into PC gaming and play BF3, etc. and all I do is play Counter-Strike now like I used to. Playing Source because 1.6 is too littered with cheaters now but still feels like a waste. Sorry for the little OT. :)

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Lol good joke. It doesn't even have 1:1 mouse movement. Don't use the word competitive.

Enlighten us wise one, how does not having having 1:1 mouse sensitivity ruin the game competitively. You sound pro.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Enlighten us wise one, how does not having having 1:1 mouse sensitivity ruin the game competitively. You sound pro.

1:1 mouse movement is pretty damn nice to have if you want to play a game competitively. Valve put in their games, so there's no excuse not to have it in a multiplayer PC shooter.

carling220

Dec 16, 2011
The only BF i ever played was 2142 years ago. Used to love COD MW, had a huge gaming gap.

Initially i was a little bored with bf3, but now i think it's brilliant.

Earlier I was in a game rammed with people in the subway. It was actually like being in a warzone, brilliant. You don't get this atmosphere with COD. Working within a squads also great. The environment gets destroyed from rockets and grenades and it really adds to it. It also gets better the more you unlock, i'm only like rank 8/9 at the moment though.

A lot of variety in how you can go about playing too in some maps, such as on caspian conquest.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Im bored. The only time BF3 was fun was when I was playing with a group of people. They all went to TOR so I bought TOR as well.

grohl

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2004
I suck, but it's a hell of a lot of fun. When I get bored with one map/class/vehicle/strategy/weapon I move on to something else.

And damn, I love knifing people.

carling220

Dec 16, 2011
When you get used to it, it's quite easy actually. The average user is pretty useless, just a few really good players in the average server.

Stick to getting the points in conquest and its all good and killing everyone you see.

I do like the metro when its rammed on the top floor near the door.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
I've said this multiple times, but I think a couple of new game modes would go a LOOOOONG way towards making more people happy.

My ideas :

(1)- Have an option that tickets can never go to zero until everyone has been killed off (to balance this, if the guy hasn't been spotted/is just camping somewhere, have him light up on the map for the enemy team after X amount of minutes).

and

(2)- Have a limited spawn mode for players and vehicles. It's supremely unrewarding to work hard as a squad, kill off a heli, two tanks, an enemy squad, and after advancing 50 meters meeting all of most of them immediately again for another clusterf*ck of an engagement. Sure it's fast paced, but it blurs the line between tactical battle into just spam. Particularly bad in this regard is the 64-player servers with instant vehicles. Ugh.

If you had player lives at 3 total (or even optional 1 for super hardcore), supply, medics and teamwork would become extremely important, and limiting vehicles to something like 1 of each aircraft, 2 of each tank/lav, and 3 of each jeep/buggy would give a ton of value to both protecting them and taking the enemies out. Instead of just flag hopping for 30 minutes of endless spam, you could coordinate to do real damage to the enemy and take territory with a truly strategic goal.

I think these should just be options, and they would be incredibly easy to implement. I know I'd love to see them, anyone else?

(2)- Have a game mode

First of I don't have BF3. But gaming for me is nothing "social", its "me-time". I just want to join when i please and blow up and kill and then leave again without the need to communicate with squad members about some "tactical stuff".
Meaning if your ideas are in the game, it will become unplayable (= extremely frustrating) for casual players.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
It has an in-game server browser and doesn't require Origin. That's enough for me to stick with BC2 by itself.

Yup. The requirement of Origin was enough to put me off. Luckily the game isn't actually that good anyway which is somewhat of a relief for me being that I chose not to play it.

I tried the Alpha and I've played a bit of the full game online and it's really not a BF2 successor, in fact I enjoy it less than BFBC2 and that was more or less a console port :)

Don Karnage

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2011
I just switched from DSL which was 5mb down and 765K up to cable which is 20mb down and 5mb up and BF3 feels a lot smoother for some reason. Am i losing my mind or was my DSL holding me back?

Went 18-4 last night flying just the chopper and it was quite nice. I'm going to give BF3 another chance.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I got bored quick. I think I'm only level 8. Got it on release or shortly after and just moved on once everything else came out. Batman, Skyrim, Saints Row 3 all were more entertaining to me than another online shooter.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000

My ideas :

[snip]

As a game mode its always nice to have options, but I think these changes would make the game slow placed and campy. Maybe what you want is somewhat already available in Rush. I dont think BF was ever tactical really. In fact, I started playing it over CS because there was more action. It seemed more about scale when compared to other games.

My fear is that this game will only be sustainably enjoyable to play after 6-12 months of balancing. I guess thats no different than other BF games, but shooters are few and far between these days.