Anyone Believe in Psychic Powers?

DanC

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2000
Yes absolutely.
Russ predicted the outcome of the election far in advance.

novon

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
the reason I ask is that some reputable people have told me about their expriences and it kind of convinced me.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
If I were to have "powers" to predict the future and such, I wouldn't be a damn pyshic. I'd be playing the damn lottery and running the stock markets.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
If anyone really had pyschic powers, they wouldn't be piddling with a mere 3 dollars an hour giving advice to misguided people. They'd be milking the stock market for every drop of money it's worth.

I guess that means I don't believe in pyschic powers.

NikPreviousAcct

No Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
yes. Parents have to be telepathic to know just when you're having a decent day. Then they magically "know" what buttons to push that will drive you off the edge, then push that button so hard, they break the damn keyboard. :|

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I AM A BELIEVER.

CALL and you will realize what you've been missing. Call Jo Jo's Psychic Alliance and see what the future has in store for you. Love? Money? health? All questions will be answered. One of our gifted psychics is waiting for you to call right now. Just pick up the phone and dial...your future depends on it!

Dial 1-900-IMAFSCKINGIDIOT. $7.99/minute, adults only.

;)

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< the reason I ask is that some reputable people have told me about their expriences and it kind of convinced me. >>

Nothing more than simple pyschology. &quot;Pyschics&quot; are known to make purposely vague statements so that the listener can extract whatever meaning he or she sees in it. Of course, to the uninformed, these mysterious statements seem insightful and revealing.

Example, a study was done once where a group of people were given the same horoscope, that was supposedly custom written for them. A great majority, over two-thirds, believed that it accurately described them. However, it was revealed that the horoscope was actually originally written for a serial killer.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm not a believer in psychics, but I've watched the &quot;Crossing Over&quot; show with John Edward the last two nights, and I'm having a hard time NOT believing that. He is amazing. It looks pretty genuine to me.

Zeppy

Dec 28, 2000
John Edward and George Anderson are the only ones so far that I believe. The 1-900-4morons is a whole sperate group. Although I like the idea of being able to fool people that easily.

&quot;The best way to make money in America is religon&quot;
-L Ron Hubbard
-Founder of the Church of Scientology

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
I believe that the brain has capabilities and potentials that go largely untapped.

I would not call these &quot;Psychic Powers&quot;, though!

How about 'extra sensory perception'? You know how dogs and cats seem to have this extra sense about things? Well, we have it, too... we are just too busy and distracted to use it very well. The brain is an amazing thing and we have only begun to comprehend how it works and what it is capable of.

At least, that is my semi-educated opinion on the matter. Of course, I only have a BA in Psychology, which doesn't really count for much, but we did go over such phenomena and this is the conclusion I came to.... it's a natural thing, nothing mysterious at all.

Harrald

Dec 6, 2000
<<I'm not a believer in psychics, but I've watched the &quot;Crossing Over&quot; show with John Edward the last two nights,>>

That snake oil salesman should be caged in a public place. He is the worst kind of predator.

Houdini spent years proving these type of people frauds. John Edward is no more than a sideshow gypsy with a better wardrobe.

I feel much better now. Tea anyone?

BDawg

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
FFMCobalt is right! My mom knew everything I did! It's like she had eyes in the back of her head...maybe that's a different phenomenon.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Actually BDawg, as the mother of 3 children I must be very aware of even the most subtle shifts in mood/energy in my house if I want to keep things running smoothly.

Here is an exercise in extra-sensitivity for all of you!

Take a regular deck of cards and pull out one RED King, Queen, or Jack and pull out one BLACK King, Queen, or Jack.

Place one each face down in the palm of your hand.

Closing your eyes, try to tell which one weighs more!

You will find that the Black Face Card weighs more because black ink is heavier.

I can do this every time because I have learned to be sensitive to small differences. Anyone can do it, really...

SO, like I said before.... There are no psychic 'powers' really.... just natural abilities we haven't tapped into yet.

:)

thelanx

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2000
I read in a article about those psychic hotlines. They interviewed someone who used to work there. The person talked about how they were taught to make very broad and general statements that would apply to many people, which still amazed people. She quit when she got a call from a girl who really needed help and decided that she didn't want to do all that fake stuff and that she wanted to really help people.

Athanasius

Nov 16, 1999
Genuine human psychic powers? No. I would side with Isla's interpretation.

Genuine, objective paranormal activity? Yes. In some instances.

sparkle

Nov 4, 2000
Yes, and No.

You see, I feel that most of it is a load of BS. But on the other hand, my mother visits a psychic every 6 months. The lady is real nice and doesn't seem to be ripping people off. For example, my mom was going to start seeing her more frequently and the psychic actually told her &quot;it would be a waste, as there is not that much change in a persons life to need to.&quot; She also tells my mom stuff that freaks me out, which she could have no way of knowing. Like once she told my mom I'd be getting a new car soon, and sure enough I did have to get a new car when mine suddenly stopped working. Another example is, she told my mom that I would be getting a new job that I would be happier with in about 18 months (this was about 18 months before I started the job I am at now)

So I guess I would say that they can have striking accuracy, I don't really know if they can seriously do as they claim. It is nice to believe that there are people out ther with these powers.